Prediction time: 2017 QB Class

Which QB drafted in 2017 will be the most successful?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Now that we know where they are going, which QB drafted in 2017 becomes a franchise/playoff QB?

• Mitchell Trubisky, Bears
    • Patrick Mahomes, Chiefs
    • DeShone Kizer, Browns
    • Deshaun Watson, Texans
    • Nathan Peterman, Bills
    • Davis Webb, NYG
    • Joshua Dobbs, Steelers
    • Chad Kelly, Broncos
    • CJ Beathard, Niners
  2. 2. Will any of these QBs win a Super Bowl?

Depends entirely on what kind of coaching and system they end up in and on that basis alone, I'd have to give the edge to Mahomes and Reid's ability.

But I have my doubts that ANY of them turn out to be "that" guy.

My vote is gonna be for Mahommes because of WHERE he went and who the HC is there

he wont be pressured to start

he landed with a solid qb developer

I think tribuski busts.....I think Kizer starts too soon.....Watson Im not sure about

Peterman.....I look at him as a quality backup qb as his ceiling (which we needed)

Patrick Mahomes will become a HOF quarterback because the Bills passed on him.

Then that goes for Watson and every other QB besides Peterman. I picked Watson because he already has a great defense behind him.

Depends entirely on what kind of coaching and system they end up in and on that basis alone, I'd have to give the edge to Mahomes and Reid's ability.

But I have my doubts that ANY of them turn out to be "that" guy.

no confidence in DeShone Kizer being dropped into the waiting arms of David Lee? With no OC?

I heard on NFLN draft coverage, and again from someone on here, that if anyone recently had a chance to be the next Montana or Brady, it was Nate Peterman. Whether that actually happens or not is anyone's guess. He has the brains, the student-of-the-game mentality, and the ability to go through reads and progressions quickly and smartly. And he has this already before taking his first NFL practice snap.

He might be a bust, he might be a career back-up. But for the purposes of this poll and thread, he just might be the next GOAT. We'll see, and that might be fun to watch.

I heard on NFLN draft coverage, and again from someone on here, that if anyone recently had a chance to be the next Montana or Brady, it was Nate Peterman. Whether that actually happens or not is anyone's guess. He has the brains, the student-of-the-game mentality, and the ability to go through reads and progressions quickly and smartly. And he has this already before taking his first NFL practice snap.

He might be a bust, he might be a career back-up. But for the purposes of this poll and thread, he just might be the next GOAT. We'll see, and that might be fun to watch.

Totally agreed. I think, at worst, he can be Alex Smith. And wouldn't half the Bills fans out there take an Alex Smith?

I would've preferred a "none of the above" option, but since that wasn't available, I went with Watson. I had no problems with the Bills passing on him, though. I do like Peterman a bit and thought it was a great pick in the 5th, but usually guys fall in the draft for a reason, and the odds are steeply against any 5th-rounder becoming a franchise guy.

I voted yes for the second question because I think it's pretty likely that at least one of these guys wins as a caretaker/game manager type - the most recent example being Osweiler and Old Manning for the Broncos.

I voted for Peterman not as a Bills fan but I watched the entirety of his Gruden QB Camp and came away very impressed. I was stunned the Bills got to pick him.

On the opposite end, I am not a Patrick Mahomes fan. I think he'll get frustrated having to learn to be an NFL QB and leave the Chiefs for the baseball career.

Edited by dpberr

Watson will have a Vince Young/RG3 career where he will look amazing for about 2 seasons and then fall off the face of the earth. I think Mahomes is in a position to have the most longevity. Maybe he doesn't have the immediate success like Watson but he will have the best career. And yes we are going to look back and cry about how we could have drafted a franchise QB and traded it away (they weren't going to take him anyhow but we can only dream)

My vote is gonna be for Mahommes because of WHERE he went and who the HC is there

he wont be pressured to start

he landed with a solid qb developer

I think tribuski busts.....I think Kizer starts too soon.....Watson Im not sure about

Peterman.....I look at him as a quality backup qb as his ceiling (which we needed)

The defense in Houston will carry Watson. all he has to be is a decent qb for them

Lol 3 way tie so far with Peterman tied with maholmes and Watson. Got some homers fosho

Eh, this class is pretty trash in general so I don't think it is necessarly homer. Watson and mahomes are set up best but can't read a defense. Peterman can read a defense and seems like he has a career backup floor, where as these other two could be big busts. Onside ring the 1st round pick pressure. I'd say they all need a lot of luck to lead a team to a super bowl.

The defense in Houston will carry Watson. all he has to be is a decent qb for them

He is pretty much being given the job, but being decent at qb can still be hard.

Anyone know how good their o-line is?

no confidence in DeShone Kizer being dropped into the waiting arms of David Lee? With no OC?

Serious question....what has David Lee EVER done (beside the Wildcat, that doesn't equate to being a good QB coach)?

Side note....Yolo, I thank you for what you bring to this board and how you represent yourself. And, I think I agree with you at least 90% of the time or more! Thanks!

Serious question....what has David Lee EVER done (beside the Wildcat, that doesn't equate to being a good QB coach)?

Side note....Yolo, I thank you for what you bring to this board and how you represent yourself. And, I think I agree with you at least 90% of the time or more! Thanks!

lol you know I was kidding about David Lee right... I hope...

Thanks for the note! :beer:

I say no Super Bowl titles, but I wish there were on option for none of these QB's to be franchise QB's. I was slightly disappointed by the trade down at first, but we did a great job showing some restraint by not picking a QB in the first round.

That's true. They play in a terrible division as well. I don't think Watson will be a franchise QB, but it's possible he can make a one and done playoff appearance

Watson will start for the Texans as a rookie and they will go 11-5 and win a playoff game. I give him a shot at a Superbowl at some stage.

In 3 years the talking heads will be saying "how did he last until #12? It was so obvious he was great at Clemson..." after spending the last year trying to nitpick him.

Watson will have a Vince Young/RG3 career where he will look amazing for about 2 seasons and then fall off the face of the earth. I think Mahomes is in a position to have the most longevity. Maybe he doesn't have the immediate success like Watson but he will have the best career. And yes we are going to look back and cry about how we could have drafted a franchise QB and traded it away (they weren't going to take him anyhow but we can only dream)

Spot on assessment. He'll also come out extra motivated because he wasn't drafted were he thought he should be. His skill set and renewed passion will allow him to come out of the gate hot. Eventually opponents will have enough film on him to negate those advantages. At that time he will become nothing better than average at best. I don't agree that Mahomes will be as good as many in this board believe. This board loves him. Everyone seems to be certain that he will be great. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Watson will start for the Texans as a rookie and they will go 11-5 and win a playoff game. I give him a shot at a Superbowl at some stage.

In 3 years the talking heads will be saying "how did he last until #12? It was so obvious he was great at Clemson..." after spending the last year trying to nitpick him.

Yes yes yes.

I chose Watson. I think he will play the earliest (which I think is better for QB development than sitting), has a running game, OL and a strong WR group and the #1 defense. He will do at least as well as Dak as a rookie.

I do like the hometown support for Nathan (Nate? Nathan? I think I like Nate better)

I chose Watson. I think he will play the earliest (which I think is better for QB development than sitting), has a running game, OL and a strong WR group and the #1 defense. He will do at least as well as Dak as a rookie.

I do like the hometown support for Nathan (Nate? Nathan? I think I like Nate better)

Dak's surrounding cast in Dallas is a lot better than Watson's in Houston. I'm not a Watson fan at all. Even if you are a Watson fan I wouldn't expect as much from him as Dak.

Went with Watson. There's a chance he becomes their "franchise" guy as early as this season. Doubt he'll be this year's Dak, but the job is wide open for him with a great defense in Houston.

Mahomes is going into a great overall situation, but I don't see him winning the job over Smith anytime soon.

I like Peterman and I hope he can become the guy. However, despite all the naysayers out there, Tyrod is the co-linchpin of a top-ten offense right now, and you don't just toss that aside to take a chance on a 5th round QB. Also, as a general rule I try not to jinx what little chances the Bills have by betting on them.

Watson without a doubt.

As far as Peterman, I sincerely doubt he will even so much as get a legit look in buffalo.

Mcdermott didn't trade down and get a first next year not to attack and get him self a QB next year.

The guy seems very decisive and shows no qualms making moves too get his guy.