RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO he played on a 5-7 team with players recruited by the coach that got canned, and the promptly went to Pitt and flourished and HE is a bum?

BS. You don't have that much of a stark contrast in stats AND he passes for 5 TDs in Death Valley to beat the National Champion Clemson Tigers unless he was under some pretty crappy conditions at UT.

he didn't play at Texas.

Was gonna say the same thing. Threw in Pitt, can throw in Buffalo. Like this kid, , reminds me of Brady....

Agreed - have no idea how it will turn out, but sounds a lot Brady - especially related to arm strength and ability to read coverages:

Here is at least one copy of Brady pre-draft:

Notes: Baseball catcher and football quarterback in high school who was drafted by the Montreal Expos in the 18th round of the June 1995 baseball draft. Opted for football and redshirted at Michigan in '95. Saw limited action in '96 and '97 and started the past two years. Completed 3 of 5 passes for 26 yards, no touchdowns and one interception in '96, 12-15-103-0-0 in '97, 214-350-2,636-15-12 in '98 and 180-295-2,216-16-6 in '99, when he often shared time with super sophomore Drew Henson. Went all the way against Alabama in the Orange Bowl and completed 34-46-369-4. Unlike many Michigan quarterbacks, Brady is a pocket-type passer who plays best in a dropback-type system.

Tom Brady Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

Edited by Rochesterfan

no

(Chad Kelly) absolutely, apparently neither of you have seen him play. Very strong arm Mobil, if he gets his head screwed on right he could have the best outcome of anyone this year. Those who don't want him, have only seen the chatter about his personality....

Edited by I'mBuff

If it's the only knock against him. makes you wonder how much an elite athlete might be able to improve 'arm strength' through training and technique. Surely there must be some improvement that could be made.

Remember the JP Losman "fake muscles"? :)

To those who don't like Peterman, what's worse...the QB who can throw it a mile, but can't hit the broad side of a barn, or a more accurate QB who doesn't have great arm strength, but can excel in a WC system?

:thumbsup:

To those who don't like Peterman, what's worse...the QB who can throw it a mile, but can't hit the broad side of a barn, or a more accurate QB who doesn't have great arm strength, but can excel in a WC system?

This and more this...I honestly do not understand how the majority of posters don't realize this. Throwing the ball hard and far means NOTHING. The top 10 QBS in the league don't have the best arms, if that was the case Kapernick would be the best QB in the league.

You've never seen the kid take a snap. STFU.

Mayock said the guy is a top 5 pick if he had a clean record.

Let's all rejoice for Nate !@#$ing Peterman. The same guy who couldn't cut it in the SEC and transferred to ****ty PITT.

He said he would be a top 5 QB. That would make a round 3 or earlier QB. That isnt the same as a top 5 pick

Don't bash the comparison ... but I find it kind of funny the draft report on some guy named Brady who went in the 6th a while back ... was also thought to be a 3rd rounder at the time ... think his arm strength has worked out just fine in the AFC East ... who knows .. every once in a while the lottery numbers hit.

2000 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Tom Brady (pick #199) (self.nfl)

1. Poor Build
  2. Skinny
  3. Lacks great physical stature and strength
  4. Lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush
  5. Lacks a strong arm
  6. Cannot drive the ball downfield
  7. Does not throw a tight spiral
  8. A system type quarterback that be exposed if forced to adlib
  9. Gets knocked down easily

Cousins MPH was measured at 59 MPH. That is near the top.

Peterman was 53 MPH which is below what the data guys like.

But close to or better than the top guys in this draft. I'm not sure how valuable that stat is. Not discounting, I just don't know what to think.

Amazing pick!!! I am extremely happy and thought he would be gone by the beginning of the 3rd. We needed a backup QB in the worst way.

Days -

This draft went about as well as I could have hoped. They did exactly what I wanted them to do: Keep Taylor to see what he does in the new offense and with a couple seasons under his belt. Bring in a seasoned backup. Draft a QB in the late rounds who might be a longshot but who has a chance of working out. Put yourself in position to go after a top-rated QB next year if Taylor doesn't work out and Peterman doesn't look like he has it.

This is perfect QB management given the position the Bills were in. Perfect.

Plus a quality DB and a guy who looks like he could be a seriously good receiver, plus an offensive lineman who has a good chance of helping.

Nicely done.

I like watching Gruden working with young QB prospects.

The impressiion I get with Peterman is upstairs where it really counts, the guy gets it.

This and more this...I honestly do not understand how the majority of posters don't realize this. Throwing the ball hard and far means NOTHING. The top 10 QBS in the league don't have the best arms, if that was the case Kapernick would be the best QB in the league.

No doubt the Drew/JP/EJ fans are die-hard.

But close to or better than the top guys in this draft. I'm not sure how valuable that stat is. Not discounting, I just don't know what to think.

I don't know either. It's just something else to consider but the data so far is not good for guys throwing below 54 MPH.

I think the MPH is like the 40. Something to watch for and if you have a low number look again at game tape.

Agreed - have no idea how it will turn out, but sounds a lot Brady - especially related to arm strength and ability to read coverages:

Here is at least one copy of Brady pre-draft:

Notes: Baseball catcher and football quarterback in high school who was drafted by the Montreal Expos in the 18th round of the June 1995 baseball draft. Opted for football and redshirted at Michigan in '95. Saw limited action in '96 and '97 and started the past two years. Completed 3 of 5 passes for 26 yards, no touchdowns and one interception in '96, 12-15-103-0-0 in '97, 214-350-2,636-15-12 in '98 and 180-295-2,216-16-6 in '99, when he often shared time with super sophomore Drew Henson. Went all the way against Alabama in the Orange Bowl and completed 34-46-369-4. Unlike many Michigan quarterbacks, Brady is a pocket-type passer who plays best in a dropback-type system.

Tom Brady Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone.

Yeah. Funny how much Brady "grew" once he got to New England. Nothing unusual here.

His strengths read like Tyrod's weaknesses:

STRENGTHS

Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.

Encouraging, my number one priority for a QB is accuracy. The fact that he has great vision is nice. Most of the failed QB's we had in the last 20 years were not accurate.

Edited by 1st&ten

Not sure what to think, but I'm glad the Bills only used a 5th on a lottery ticket when a lot of teams this year used more than 1st rounders (chiefs, bears, etc...) for their lottery tickets. Especially when Peterman has as good of a chance to be good as Watson, Mahomes, and Trubs.

Total waste agreed. Noodle arm qbs a waste in the Ralph.

Stop with the "RWS is this wind tunnel of a stadium" talk. It's no worse than any other stadium I've been too. This is a myth, much like "The Bills have an advantage in games where it snows".

Where are Mythbusters when you need them.,

Don't bash the comparison ... but I find it kind of funny the draft report on some guy named Brady who went in the 6th a while back ... was also thought to be a 3rd rounder at the time ... think his arm strength has worked out just fine in the AFC East ... who knows .. every once in a while the lottery numbers hit.

2000 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Tom Brady (pick #199) (self.nfl)

• Poor Build
  • Skinny
  • Lacks great physical stature and strength
  • Lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush
  • Lacks a strong arm
  • Cannot drive the ball downfield
  • Does not throw a tight spiral
  • A system type quarterback that be exposed if forced to adlib
  • Gets knocked down easily

All the Bills need to do is find Brady's dealer.