RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

Name: Nathan Peterman

School: Pittsburgh

Position fit: Backup QB, starter potential

Stats to know: Had the nations No. 2 passer rating when pressured at 114.7.

What he does best:

Not necessarily a pure/smooth thrower, but possesses a quick release.

Consistent footwork. Plays with a good base in control and throws on balance.

Great understanding of defensive recognition and where to go with the ball with the given passing scheme.

Good ball placement on short/intermediate timing routes.

Anticipates windows in zone very well.

Sees the field clearly. Consistently shows the ability to get through progressions, eliminating a read quickly and moving on to the next with relative ease.

Great overall feel and discipline in the pocket.

Athletic within the pocket and can burst to pick up key third downs with his legs.

Biggest concerns:

Arm is limited.

Doesnt possess natural power to drive the ball. Needs to coil up to gain zip.

Ball tends to finish low on the receiver the further down the field you get.

Lacks pocket poise at times tending to bail out right when unnecessary.

Feet can get a little frenetic when facing pressure.

Inconsistent decision making outside of the pocket or late in the down at times.

Bottom line: Peterman has seen his stock rise the more people find out about him. He is a very solid, steady player with a limited ceiling but shows a great understanding of the passing game. His arm is just OK, but with his ability to see the field clearly and work through progressions combined with his natural feel in the pocket, he has a chance to develop into a middle of the road starter. He played in a system with a lot of jet sweep gimmicks, but has experience under center and working full field progressions in both the drop back and play action pass game. Peterman can step in and be a backup on most teams right now, with the hopes there can be tweaks with a few things mechanically and as he gets older to gain more strength in his arm.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-nathan-peterman-qb-pittsburgh/?utm_content=buffer3d511&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

Edited by MAJBobby

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@tompelissero

Thought Pitt QB Nathan Peterman would go 2nd/3rd. #Bills get him in 5th. Game manager from pro-style O. Biggest ?: arm just above average.

Give me an accurate QB with average arm strength over a strong armed guy who has bad accuracy and anticipation.

I like it a lot and I thought he was someone they might have considered in R3 had they kept that pick. This potentially fills a need for a backup QB, but also gives them another option at the position heading into the next offseason should they decide to dump Tyrod.

Bum.

The guy Is awful. At UT he looked like a steaming pile of ****.

Taking this clown over Kelly is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

I know its not Kelly, but at the same time at least C. Kelly won't have an enormous expectation placed on him to perform like his uncle or better...

His strengths read like Tyrod's weaknesses:

STRENGTHS

Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.

Way to point this out! I like what i see.

How long until we see the arguments that Peterman is going to become the Bills starter at some point before the end of the season?

Hopefully not until week 17.

Very accurate QB. Reminds me of a young Chad Pennington, before the shoulder surgeries. Pennington never had a cannon, but his arm was good enough. That's Peterman. As accurate as they come with just enough arm strength.

The anti-Cardale. This is the guy I kind of liked if we were going to use a low-round draft pick on a QB. And to me it signals that McD isn't too thrilled with what we have in Cardale (neither am I).

Whaley is absolute garbage, he wouldn't know a good QB if it hit him in the face.

Peterman will be lucky to be even a ok backup and we also have bum cardale, good job moron.

Highly unlikely that this was a Lil Doug pick. :thumbsup:

First pick I really didn't like. Hate guys like this. Total teases. You can't play in this league with a rag arm.

The only upside is that backup QB is an important position in the NFL. And he could be a guy that can be a reliable backup to play a half or a game or two. But ragarms cannot play in the NFL. He does fit Dennison's system better than Cardale.

Threw 53 mph at the combine. Not very good at Tennessee but got better in Pitt. If he amounts to anything more than a backup, I'll be very, very surprised.

5th round pick so it is whatever. Get Cardale out of here if he looks like crap again in camp.