Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

He's already 26, will be 28 when Pats deal is up. You think those are "best years" for a RB in this league?

He doesn't have high mileage.

And why would the clock start on his "best years" AFTER the Pats* deal is up? It starts this September, at least if I'm evaluating him.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's already 26, will be 28 when Pats deal is up. You think those are "best years" for a RB in this league?

25-29 are prime years for an RB. And that's for feature backs. Low mileage backs like MG have even less wear and tear.

just to put it out there: Karlos Williams TD's from the year before were replaced by Mike G...whats to say the next man up cant repeat that same production? This rushing offense proved they can make a capable 2nd RB (Karlos, then Mike, now who?) And for the record I'd like to keep Mike G

but you've lost a proven man who deserves to be on an NFL field

now you have a gap to fill, in a roster with a lot of holes in it already

and hope the pick pans out immediately or you are behind last year's glorious production...

so you hope to be able to replace on command just to keep status quo

We either make our 6-carries-per-game backup running back the 10th highest cap hit on our team or turn an out-of-the-league street free agent into a 5th round pick.

This is a nothing decision. Don't be blinded by your admiration for the Patriots. You literally could not trade the guy with the contract he's going to have for a 7th round pick.

No other team aside from the Patriots put in an offer sheet. 30 of the 31 teams said no thank you. Let's make it 31 out of 32.

25-29 are prime years for an RB. And that's for feature backs. Low mileage backs like MG have even less wear and tear.

Yeah MG has only about 600 career carries at age 26 in 7 years COMBINED in the SEC and NFL

In perspective......Shady had essentially the same amount of college carries before he turned 20 years old at the University of Pittsburgh. :flirt:

Carries and player's ability to handle them may vary......but that's EXTREMELY low mileage.

Not at all

Yeah but have you considered that agreeing with me in any way could bring the wrath of astute posters like..................I'm thinking......

Well, anyway........ it's pretty simple.

They've already invested a lot in winning something THIS year by keeping Tyrod, not chopping Eric Wood, keeping Shady..........and basically have 6 current starters that will be in their 30's next year, all with fat cap figures and too close to the end to extend most........and then there is Charles Clay who will be 29 and almost surely gone. That's 1/3 of the non-QB starting lineup.

So big changes NEXT year.........need to be IN on winning THIS year.

OK - thanks (and thanks to Gerry too). I didn't know that.

Man don't give Gerry any props....he's been awful in this thread! :lol:

Crazy prediction: we use the extra 5th to trade up in the 2nd and snag Jabrill Peppers

Or just stand pat on that 5th and draft a new longer snapper since it is an obvious need.

You know let the draft come to you.......:)

Quick questions thatI don't feel like searching through 98 pages for:

What is the time deadline today? 4pm?

Do the Bills have to match the Pats contract exactly or can MG and the Bills negotiate a deal for more money and length but backloaded to save cap space this year?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Fred Jackson is here to see you, Doctor. Shall I send him in?

oh, hell... can we push this to 100 pages?

We're doing everything we can...

He may be 26, but is like a real 26 or a fake 26 like that kid who had that late Birthday in school so should really have been a year ahead, but was stuck with the younger kids..

Do the Bills have to match the Pats contract exactly or can MG and the Bills negotiate a deal for more money and length but backloaded to save cap space this year?

they either assume it as is, or pass. Typically 4pm is the cutoff for stuff like this -- i assume so here too.

really no need to backload it, but in the RFA process getting stuck with a deal structured in ways you dont want is the risk of letting another team do the negotiating for you (a slogan many here like -- its got pros and cons though)

We either make our 6-carries-per-game backup running back the 10th highest cap hit on our team or turn an out-of-the-league street free agent into a 5th round pick.

This is a nothing decision. Don't be blinded by your admiration for the Patriots. You literally could not trade the guy with the contract he's going to have for a 7th round pick.

No other team aside from the Patriots put in an offer sheet. 30 of the 31 teams said no thank you. Let's make it 31 out of 32.

Exactly, if they match, it will be a Vanek like offer sheet reaction and one that was totally wrong.

Yes, 4 pm.

No, the terms of the contract cannot change. Gillislee will be getting the exact terms of this contract for the next 2 years, the only question is which team employs him.

Edited by JM57

Exactly, if they match, it will be a Vanek like offer sheet reaction and one that was totally wrong.

Whoa, whoa...matching the vanek offer sheet was a whole different level. Sabres would have received 4 1st round picks....FOUR!

thats not really how it works.... all we know is that this is the deal MG decided was best for him to sign. we allegedly have been negotiating too, so we have not passed, though we didnt offer these exact terms.

Yes, 4 pm.

No, the terms of the contract cannot change. Gillislee will be getting the exact terms of this contract for the next 2 years, the only question is which team employs him.

this is what I've gathered from Sal and Chris Brown over the last few days on that -- they need to match it exactly as is stand today. However, technically they can renegotiate after the fact, though there is an (unwritten) guideline that they don't do so for a year. If they did try to renegotiate before then (to say lower the cap hit this year) there is potential that the pats and/or Nflpa could quibble ... but they don't know since no one has tried that before and it's not written into CBA that they can't. If they renegotiated to give MG more years and more money overall, the feeling is the nflpa would not have any issue with that due to their goals. Edited by YoloinOhio

the cap is a small piece. Its the 5th AND some space we are getting back. I wouldnt stress hard over it. ultimately, the decision here should amount to "if shady gets hurt, am i comfortable with MG filling in for a few weeks"

if the answer is yes -- no brainer, just do it and have the position settled.

if its uncertain, you start leaning towards pass.

I'd add this question to the decision - if Shady stays healthy does MG get enough touches or do we run with power when Shady isn't in? In other words is MG's real value this year only if Shady gets hurt?

They better re-sign him. If we lose him, we would need a running back in the draft, and I don't see us getting a RB of his caliber in the fifth. jmo

Don't be too sure, he was behind Karlos on the depth charts before Karlos decided to celebrate 420 and 2 AM taco bell runs were more important n Football.

I really like Williams out of BYU and Conner out of Pitt which will be available in the later round if we do grab that extra pick in the 5th.

They better re-sign him. If we lose him, we would need a running back in the draft, and I don't see us getting a RB of his caliber in the fifth. jmo

I think most RB's can run well in the Bills run game. A year ago nobody cared about MG. MG had some good runs on his own but most of his runs, he ran through big holes.

I think most RB's can run well in the Bills run game. A year ago nobody cared about MG. MG had some good runs on his own but most of his runs, he ran through big holes.

yes, but before that he never really had an opportunity (torn acl) and his ypc is just too high to let go.