Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of the Chargers. They kept LT 1 year too long and let go of michael turner. Turner went on to have 4-5 strong years with Atlanta, and LT was gone the next year and out of the NFL 2 years later. I'd rather get rid of a RB a year early than a year late, and keep the younger RB. Especially one thats average 5.7 per carry the last 2 years

So just go out and sign either AP or Blount. Watching Blount score TDs against Bellicheat would be priceless and you could probably get either guy for less than the 4 million the patriots* will pay Gillislee this year.

Could also stick it to the pats by drafting Fournette if he drops to 10.

So just go out and sign either AP or Blount. Watching Blount score TDs against Bellicheat would be priceless and you could probably get either guy for less than the 4 million the patriots* will pay Gillislee this year.

You don't honestly think we would actually draft Fournette with our first pick....

Yeah ,I remember when the P. Pirates in baseball were like that. Kept bringing along young players ,only to let them go. They would not pay anybody. They suffered for it big time. The question is can you replace Gilly with a 5th rounder ? He is proven to work here. It is a crap shoot. You can say ,he can easily be replaced. BUT you don`t know for sure. We have No other back to pick up the load when Shady gets dinged.

Absolutely untrue. WIlliams and Tolbert are already on the roster. Not that I don't want to see MG kept, but making statements like this is just absurd.

This would be the opposite of sticking it to the pats...

If you have a young defensive end and he plays just 1/4-1/3 of the snaps but puts up 10-12 sacks.......do you suppose that guy is just considered a "backup" or more of a situational pass rusher(even if the downs are just in rotation)?

Advanced statistics suggest Gillislee is one of the leagues best RB's.......period.

You think "yeah but we have McCoy already"........well who do you have next year when McCoy is gone? Neither.

Depends. If we let him walk it's the former, if we pony up to keep him it's the latter

Here we go again! The pats sign one of out backups and make him a starter! I think it's rather funny. Don't get me wrong I like Gillislee but I don't believe he is worth that much money to the Bill's. Remember when the sky was falling because the Bill's cut Karlos Williams. Also a big deal was made about signing Hogan last year to a big contract last year. His numbers did improve, but not significantly from the year before. An argument can easily be made that the Bills got much greater value for him dollar for dollar, and I think it will be the same with TD Mike. Now wouldn't it be Ironic if the Bill's used that 5th rounder they get the pats and draft Kelly or some other QB and he becomes the next Aaron Rogers. Eventually their spending will bite them.

I'm no fan of Cowherd, but he makes a really interesting point about all of this, and I think it makes a ton of sense:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/04/new_england_patriots_working_over_poorly_run_buffalo_bills_says_colin_cowherd.html

"Cowherd believes that Belichick has lost interest in draft picks after the collective bargaining agreement made things more "pro player" by eliminating the number of practices and amount of hitting that takes place. Instead of teaching rookies, Cowherd believes that Belichick prefers to get veterans who understand the game."

Here we go again! The pats sign one of out backups and make him a starter! I think it's rather funny. Don't get me wrong I like Gillislee but I don't believe he is worth that much money to the Bill's. Remember when the sky was falling because the Bill's cut Karlos Williams. Also a big deal was made about signing Hogan last year to a big contract last year. His numbers did improve, but not significantly from the year before. An argument can easily be made that the Bills got much greater value for him dollar for dollar, and I think it will be the same with TD Mike. Now wouldn't it be Ironic if the Bill's used that 5th rounder they get the pats and draft Kelly or some other QB and he becomes the next Aaron Rogers. Eventually their spending will bite them.

Watkins hurt last season-we could have used Hogan.

Yes and the Pats spending this off season will indeed have some misses... and big ones.

I'm no fan of Cowherd, but he makes a really interesting point about all of this, and I think it makes a ton of sense:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/04/new_england_patriots_working_over_poorly_run_buffalo_bills_says_colin_cowherd.html

"Cowherd believes that Belichick has lost interest in draft picks after the collective bargaining agreement made things more "pro player" by eliminating the number of practices and amount of hitting that takes place. Instead of teaching rookies, Cowherd believes that Belichick prefers to get veterans who understand the game."

Copy cat league....Doug Whaley has been employing this strategy for awhile now! :nana:

Take the pick. Take the pick. Flip a waiver wire signing to a draft pick. You signed 2 Backs ans have a 2nd year back on roster along with Shady

Indeed. Welcome back.

Absolutely untrue. WIlliams and Tolbert are already on the roster. Not that I don't want to see MG kept, but making statements like this is just absurd.

What was Williams YPC behind the same oline? Tolbert? Is his name even worth a mention?

The fact is this is just another move that shows no long term plan of building an actual team. Why sign a premiere full back and then break up your 1 2 punch at RB? Shady is going to be less effective with more carries and his health is always a concern, Gilly is hands down a better option than Williams/Tolbert.

Tolbert would be like Dixon starting a few games, but probably slower at this stage of his career. Why would you sign him and squabble over the million dollar difference between a 2nd/5th round tender with MG?

Tie it back to the late signing of Reggie Bush last season, what was all that about? There is no semblance of a plan here. Shady and Gilly lead the league in YPC and Gilly was a big part of that, he was efficient in the redzone and in short yardage. A perfect compliment for Shady.

So many other holes on this team but they play around with what is actually working. Didn't need to sign Bush or Tolbert, would have been better of trying to pick another young UDFA off the heap who has a chance of breaking out. Why pay more and sign two guys that already have seen their best days? Fundamentally unsound but oh so common at OBD.

Edited by Commonsense

Yes and the Pats spending this off season will indeed have some misses... and big ones.

Copy cat league....Doug Whaley has been employing this strategy for awhile now! :nana:

Indeed. Welcome back.

Bill Belichik spoke at the Ohio State coach's clinic last week and said something I found kind of interesting, since we have seen kind of different approach from them this offseason. He said that at this point in his career, he wants to coach players he likes. Insinuating that he really has nothing left to prove, but he still wants to coach, and he doesn't feel the need to deal with any players he "doesn't like" just because they are talented, something he did in the past when he felt pressure to win. He also said he trusts certain programs and college coaches and prefers to draft from them over others which narrows down his prospects but he likes it that way. Edited by YoloinOhio

Bill Belichik spoke at the Ohio State coach's clinic last week and said something I found kind of interesting, since we have seen kind of different approach from them this offseason. He said that at this point in his career, he wants to coach players he likes. Insinuating that he really has nothing left to prove, but he still wants to coach, and he doesn't feel the need to deal with any players he "doesn't like" just because they are talented, something he did in the past when he felt pressure to win. He also said he trusts certain programs and college coaches and prefers to draft from them over others which narrows down his prospects but he likes it that way.

Hard to argue with his success.

Did I miss something last year? Gillislee ran through wide open holes in our offensive line, holes that existed partly because Tyrod and Shady were bigger threats to the run game. He's fast and that's it. I never thought we'd keep him and I'm actually surprised that people care about this one. I even understood Hogan to an extent, don't get this outrage at all though.

Yes, when you are a run first team and your main RB will be 29 when the season starts.

It's 2 years of control... at a fairly high cap hit in year 1. If we sign a UDFA, or draft someone in rds 5-7 we pay them significantly less, for longer control.

If we keep him - its a sign that McCoy is gone next season. If we draft someone in rounds 2-4, i could see McCoy still on the chopping block next year.

Did I miss something last year? Gillislee ran through wide open holes in our offensive line, holes that existed partly because Tyrod and Shady were bigger threats to the run game. He's fast and that's it. I never thought we'd keep him and I'm actually surprised that people care about this one. I even understood Hogan to an extent, don't get this outrage at all though.

Yeah - same here regarding hogan. We signed him off the scrap heap, I think I assumed one of the scrap heap guys we signed (Salas, Little, Boykin) would just fill the gap.