Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

they matched the offer sheet for Andersen. Booker only played as his backup and then when he got hurt. Elway said it made sense to tender him at the lowest level until he knew what his market actually was.

Did that end up costing him money? I remember people being surprised that he wasn't tendered higher after his improvement in the SB run. He decimated the Pats.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did that end up costing him money? I remember people being surprised that he wasn't tendered higher after his improvement in the SB run. He decimated the Pats.

they were trying to sign him anyway and just ended up matching the deal Miami gave him. It was a 4 year deal. I assume Elway had a value placed on him and if the offer was within that he would match and if not he would move on. Edited by YoloinOhio

Have the Bills announced yet whether they will match?

I haven't seen the terms of the contract but I suspect it is frontloaded to prevent us from matching. Do we have the space if it is $4m or so this year? I think you take it up and then continue to try and negotiate a longer term deal to lower this year's hit if you need to.

If signed to the sheet I'm not sure you can renegotiate this year. I think the cba still has a rule that you can only ink one deal a year. (Though I'm admittedly not as sharp on the latest revisions as I once was)

Things that make you go hmmmm.....

Karlos Williams - 93 attempts for 517 yards (5.6 avg.) and 7 TD, 11 receptions for 96 yards and 2 TD.

613 total yards and 9 total touchdowns.

Mike Gillislee - 101 attempts for 577 yards (5.7 avg.) and 8 TD, 9 receptions for 50 yards and 1 TD.

627 total yards and 9 total touchdowns.

Karlos Williams - a guy who can barely find a home on an NFL roster.

Mike Gillislee - a guy who couldn't find a home on an NFL roster.

Is it maybe, just maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe possible that you don't need top tier talent to be a productive backup running back in Buffalo?

Thank you....we will be fine. Love to keep him but not going to hurt without him.

Things that make you go hmmmm.....

Karlos Williams - 93 attempts for 517 yards (5.6 avg.) and 7 TD, 11 receptions for 96 yards and 2 TD.

613 total yards and 9 total touchdowns.

Mike Gillislee - 101 attempts for 577 yards (5.7 avg.) and 8 TD, 9 receptions for 50 yards and 1 TD.

627 total yards and 9 total touchdowns.

Karlos Williams - a guy who can barely find a home on an NFL roster.

Mike Gillislee - a guy who couldn't find a home on an NFL roster.

Is it maybe, just maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe possible that you don't need top tier talent to be a productive backup running back in Buffalo?

They were both talented.

CC Reggie Bush

CC Jonathan Williams

CC Boom Herron

CC Boobie Dixon

CC Cierre Wood

All those guys had such great success!

Yup.

The apologist have an excuse for this one though.

No excuse needed. I would have traded Gillislee for a 7th, let alone a 5th. His skill set is easy to find every single year. I never expected him back and I definitely didn't expect people to care this much. Honestly I think it's just because the Pats took him, same thing that happened with Gilmore.

If signed to the sheet I'm not sure you can renegotiate this year. I think the cba still has a rule that you can only ink one deal a year. (Though I'm admittedly not as sharp on the latest revisions as I once was)

per Sal this morning on radio, it isn't specifically spelled out in the CBA that you can't re-negotiate this year but it's kind of understood that you wait a year. They could go ahead and do it, but might be in for a fight with NFLPA.

He has the vision to see the holes and the wherewithal to set up his blocks to hit the right hole at the right time, and he has the speed and strength to be effective both in short yardage situations and as a home run hitter.

Your analysis is like claiming Peyton Manning just threw to wide open receivers all the time without considering the affect his anticipation and accuracy had on putting the ball where and when the receiver could get open.

Amen. Didn't see Boom herron, Anthony Dixon, or Reggie Bush do any of this.

They were both talented.

CC Reggie Bush

CC Jonathan Williams

CC Boom Herron

CC Boobie Dixon

CC Cierre Wood

You keep bringing up Williams like it's a good point.

He was a 3rd string rookie buried in the depth chart....you really expecting a lot of production?

So we find talented players like Karlos and Gillisee but we can't replace them because of Wood, Herron and Bush? Always look at what didn't work but not what did?

No excuse needed. I would have traded Gillislee for a 7th, let alone a 5th. His skill set is easy to find every single year. I never expected him back and I definitely didn't expect people to care this much. Honestly I think it's just because the Pats took him, same thing that happened with Gilmore.

Definitely part of it, plus having a cool nickname like "Touchdown Mike" he became a bit of a fan-favorite.

When the Rams got Groy on an offer sheet the thread made it to 13 pages. And I'd argue that Groy is more important of a depth player.

The Pats stealing one of our favorites is behind all the gnashing.

He has the vision to see the holes and the wherewithal to set up his blocks to hit the right hole at the right time, and he has the speed and strength to be effective both in short yardage situations and as a home run hitter.

Your analysis is like claiming Peyton Manning just threw to wide open receivers all the time without considering the affect his anticipation and accuracy had on putting the ball where and when the receiver could get open.

Vision to see the wide open holes created for him. That's good. Well anyways if Gillislee is as good as you say he is then Whaley is a genius at finding RBs so what's the concern? Superstar Karlos Williams followed by superstar Mike Gillislee. We'll be fine.

Your comparison to Peyton Manning is ludicrous but I think you know that...

Vision to see the wide open holes created for him. That's good. Well anyways if Gillislee is as good as you say he is then Whaley is a genius at finding RBs so what's the concern? Superstar Karlos Williams followed by superstar Mike Gillislee. We'll be fine.

Your comparison to Peyton Manning is ludicrous but I think you know that...

Fine. Aka 6-10

They were both talented.

CC Reggie Bush

CC Jonathan Williams

CC Boom Herron

CC Boobie Dixon

CC Cierre Wood

To be fair - in 2014 Dixon did lead the team in YPA... Williams was a rookie who didn't play a down of football in 2015. And before that we always had 2 solid backs - because they were both always injured.

Cierre Wood had 2 carries for us in 2015. I'm not sure that's really a fair way to judge him.

Edited by dneveu

Definitely part of it, plus having a cool nickname like "Touchdown Mike" he became a bit of a fan-favorite.

When the Rams got Groy on an offer sheet the thread made it to 13 pages. And I'd argue that Groy is more important of a depth player.

The Pats stealing one of our favorites is behind all the gnashing.

imo Pats would be better off signing Groy and keeping Blount. Their OL is shaky. They just cut Tre Jackson who they just drafted 2 years ago in the 4th and Shaq Mason is having PTSD from Grady Jarrett eating him alive in the SB.

They were both talented.

CC Reggie Bush

CC Jonathan Williams

CC Boom Herron

CC Boobie Dixon

CC Cierre Wood

No doubt, and I liked both Karlos and Mike. However, these guys' situations were not very similar to MG/KW (backing up McCoy, number of carries, etc.).

Reggie Bush - 12 attempts for -3 yards.

Jonathan Williams - 27 attempts for 94 yards.

Boom Herron - 11 attempts for 37 yards.

Boobie Dixon - 105 attempts for 432 yards (pre-McCoy).

Cierre Wood - 2 attempts for 3 yards.

The fact is, the Bills had two journeyman type guys backing up McCoy for the last two years who essentially put up identical numbers.

Trading a 5th round pick for Mike Gillislee and making him the 10th highest paid player on your team is bad football. Plain and simple.

You keep bringing up Williams like it's a good point.

He was a 3rd string rookie buried in the depth chart....you really expecting a lot of production?

So we find talented players like Karlos and Gillisee but we can't replace them because of Wood, Herron and Bush? Always look at what didn't work but not what did?

When he got on the field, he sucked. If he was #2 on the depth chart, how does that make him not suck?

You're not trading anything because you don't have it yet. You get the 5th if you let him leave, you get him if you match the offer.

Say what? Matching the Patriots offer sheet EXACTLY costs the Bills a 5th round draft pick, and EXACTLY makes him the 10th highest paid player on the team (in terms of 2017-2018 salary cap cost).

What other free agent is out there now that could sign and use the cap savings we'd get by not retaining Gilly? I'm not sure there is one and being we have enough cap room (and few draft picks) we can afford to cap an over priced Gilly this year. I understand that it's foolish to put that much money into a backup RB but if looking at a complete roster it makes more sense especially since our alternative RBs are question marks.

Say what? Matching the Patriots offer sheet EXACTLY costs the Bills a 5th round draft pick, and EXACTLY makes him the 10th highest paid player on the team (in terms of 2017-2018 salary cap cost).

No it doesnt. That's not how it works at all. We get him at the contract that he signed with NE. We don't trade NE anything. Why would they get a pick for trying to poach a player?