Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

Your points are fair.

I think part of the evaluation needs to go beyond this season, since his cap number drops in 2018...if you can make it work, it's worth thinking about given how run-oriented the offense is at this time.

Also agree. I'm hoping deep down that we're opting into being a run-first team sort of because we have to, and not because we think that's the most effective way to win in the NFL.

I'd personally rather be the #1 passing offense in the NFL and have the #18 rushing offense, but obviously that isn't in the cards right now. I'd like it to be though, one of these days.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of the reason they've been more active is simply because they've become so proficient with the cap that they HAVE to spend some money to meet their cap floor.

I mean, they were what $60M under the cap going into this offseason? And WAY under it last year. You have to spend up to 90% of your cap space every 3 years.......that's the rule.

The stark reality is that they basically won the SB last year with a roster full of role players. Their only superstar other than Brady is Gronk and he watched the game from the owners box.......as usual come January.

They had room to get better talent-wise and they are actually doing something about it this year. In the past they always just ate any extra cap room and didn't add players......and that helped keep them a bit closer to the pack, IMO.

Now.......HAVING to spend it......this is what we get.

The floor only applies to a 4 year period - and its cash spending (not cap hits). Basically - that floor will never apply.

Also agree. I'm hoping deep down that we're opting into being a run-first team sort of because we have to, and not because we think that's the most effective way to win in the NFL.

I'd personally rather be the #1 passing offense in the NFL and have the #18 rushing offense, but obviously that isn't in the cards right now. I'd like it to be though, one of these days.

Yeah - i think you look at the successful run first teams in the league and look who's playing QB and its fairly obvious. If you can't get premier talent at QB, its an alternate strategy for building a team.

Edited by dneveu

I think part of the reason they've been more active is simply because they've become so proficient with the cap that they HAVE to spend some money to meet their cap floor.

I mean, they were what $60M under the cap going into this offseason? And WAY under it last year. You have to spend up to 90% of your cap space every 3 years.......that's the rule.

The stark reality is that they basically won the SB last year with a roster full of role players. Their only superstar other than Brady is Gronk and he watched the game from the owners box.......as usual come January.

They had room to get better talent-wise and they are actually doing something about it this year. In the past they always just ate any extra cap room and didn't add players......and that helped keep them a bit closer to the pack, IMO.

Now.......HAVING to spend it......this is what we get.

All true, but that really reinforces how vital BB and TB are to that team.

All of these moves that have everyone doing cartwheels are basically a big nothing. It's almost like the could take any roster in the nfl and still be a SB contender, as long as they have those 2 guys.

All true, but that really reinforces how vital BB and TB are to that team.

All of these moves that have everyone doing cartwheels are basically a big nothing. It's almost like the could take any roster in the nfl and still be a SB contender, as long as they have those 2 guys.

Pretty much - Belichicks not going anywhere any time soon. He'll stop coaching in a few years, but he'll probably move Patricia into the HC role and just work in the front office. Guys still very sharp at 65 - and he has 2 homes in the area, and he likes working.

Brady will probably step back in 5 years, and we'll at least have a chance to be competitive then. They're still going to be good, they just won't have the all-time greatest QB shredding the NFL week in week out.

Edited by dneveu

Your points are fair.

I think part of the evaluation needs to go beyond this season, since his cap number drops in 2018...if you can make it work, it's worth thinking about given how run-oriented the offense is at this time.

EXACTLY.

To me the 2018 roster is already a big concern.

To quote another poster on here that seems like "A bridge too far" for some to grasp but the list of aging players with untenable cap figures who need to be replaced soon EITHER WAY.....is LONG......and the list of young players in house to do it is very SHORT.

They have no first round pick on the books from the 2013 or 2015 draft class.

Prospective keeps like Seantrel and Kujo are probably not keepers even if they EXCEL in their walk years this season because of off-field/injury issues.

The team has precious few draft picks this year.

Hell, they don't NEED to pick up Sammy's option because they literally have nothing to spend their money on next offseason so they can see if he stays healthy and then just franchise him if need be.

Basically........they are looking at A LOT of holes and PLENTY of cap room.

And in the Billsy world of same ol' that means having to overpay free agents from other teams to fill holes.........and the cycle continues.........money saved now on guys like Gilmore and Gillislee will be torched and then some on the next McCoy/Clay type foolish and/or desperate need driven overpays.

i think it would absolutely suck if the bills let him go. for one ,just the fact that you're letting him go to the pats is bad enough.

2. for those who argue it would be paying him too much then bb must be an idiot.

3. like someone else pointed out the one hammy away from needing mg's services (without a drop off in production).

4. why wouldn't the fo at least be thinking about shady's age and possibly actually getting something for him next offseason? mg could move to no.1 and we could draft another fairly high.

i just think it's stupid to not bring him back. it sends the wrong message to the players as far as cohesiveness and the team's commitment to winning.

it sends a message to free agents as to just how they will get treated here and lastly sends a message to the fans that this fo cannot manage keeping the strengths of this team while fixing the weaknesses.

we would have been a helluva lot better off in the passing game had we kept hogan and we got absolutely zero for him.

Pretty much - Belichicks not going anywhere any time soon. He'll stop coaching in a few years, but he'll probably move Patricia into the HC role and just work in the front office. Guys still very sharp at 65 - and he has 2 homes in the area, and he likes working.

Brady will probably step back in 5 years, and we'll at least have a chance to be competitive then. They're still going to be good, they just won't have the all-time greatest QB shredding the NFL week in week out.

Agreed for the most part, but open to being surprised. I'm not counting on it, but Brady's decline could come sooner. Even BB seems to be considering that possibility, with his reluctance to trade jimmy.

As for BB. I remember when Shula was a scary genius - until he wasn't.

I will continue to hope.

I don't pretend to understand BB's mind. But there is no way they'd get into a bidding war over a second string RB.

I agree. But they're not/can't get into a bidding war over MG. They offered him a deal and if the Bills match it, its over.

The floor only applies to a 4 year period - and its cash spending (not cap hits). Basically - that floor will never apply.

I am fairly good with numbers and being 25%-30% under the cap for 4 years is going to leave you short of 90% of cash expenditures..........so yeah, it will apply if not spent at some point.

The Pats have been frugal for a long time now. IMO, it's cost them some SB's in the past decade. But they sure seem to have a strategic approach to spending it when they have to. Credit where it's due.

i think it would absolutely suck if the bills let him go. for one ,just the fact that you're letting him go to the pats is bad enough.

2. for those who argue it would be paying him too much then bb must be an idiot.

3. like someone else pointed out the one hammy away from needing mg's services (without a drop off in production).

4. why wouldn't the fo at least be thinking about shady's age and possibly actually getting something for him next offseason? mg could move to no.1 and we could draft another fairly high.

i just think it's stupid to not bring him back. it sends the wrong message to the players as far as cohesiveness and the team's commitment to winning.

it sends a message to free agents as to just how they will get treated here and lastly sends a message to the fans that this fo cannot manage keeping the strengths of this team while fixing the weaknesses.

we would have been a helluva lot better off in the passing game had we kept hogan and we got absolutely zero for him.

It doesn't send a message to free agents.

Look at the team that's signing MG.

I am fairly good with numbers and being 25%-30% under the cap for 4 years is going to leave you short of 90% of cash expenditures..........so yeah, it will apply if not spent at some point.

The Pats have been frugal for a long time now. IMO, it's cost them some SB's in the past decade. But they sure seem to have a strategic approach to spending it when they have to. Credit where it's due.

Oh i just mean - you can front load some cash, while having a low cap hit and easily manipulate that "90%" spend.

Edited by dneveu

So if the Bills Defense is going to be that bad then why spend money and worry over a backup running back? Spend the money on the D instead right?

You know the Pats will design plays to get MG into the EZ, like they went out of their way with Chandler.

Why can't they keep Gillsilee AND draft a QB this year? I didn't know it had to be one or the other. :doh:

C.Biscuit prefers people to prioritize their worry and focus it all into one primary area at a time. He can tear up a rocking chair in no-time flat. Not much of a multi-tasker though.

C.Biscuit prefers people to prioritize their worry and focus it all into one primary area at a time. He can tear up a rocking chair in no-time flat. Not much of a multi-tasker though.

It's been a quiet offseason, not much gold for board material so far.