Pats sign Gillislee to offer sheet

This is likely how the team is thinking. Like the move or not ( I'm in the Not party)...this does make sense based on how the Bills value# must look for the backup rb position. It is not random or clowny. I'd have preffered the 2nd round tender still.

In my experience you have to be careful about drawing imaginary lines in the sand and calling that a plan.

That IS clowny....and it is something of a Billsy tradition to do things like that. Think "cash to the cap".

Is it crazy for MG to temporarily have one of the 10 highest cap figures on the team? FWIW he certainly is very much in the conversation as being one of their 10 best players. If he's not in that number......he's sure real close to it and it isn't a long term commitment. Meanwhile guys like Shady, Clay, Incognito, KW, Eric Wood and possibly a few others are dead men walking this year.......most, if not all, are in their last years with the Bills due to age and insanely high cap numbers.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many times have I read here that Whaley is so adept at pro personnel, especially after his tenure with Pittsburgh. Yet, neither he nor his pro personnel guys can assign appropriate value to RFA's.

It's as if Whaley is merely a 20 year NFL intern who hasn't been given responsibility for much beyond doing scouting reports.

And not surprisingly I see the usual homer sophistry and conflation to defend the GM for his continued lack of vision.

But hey, he traded for Jerry Hughes and signed a few bargain bin defensive UFA's! He's just so brilliant. :lol:

No. I'm not. You're supposed to argue the principle. But you can't. So you're making these wacky pseudoarguments.

What principle? That teams don't tender backup RB's/JAG WRs at 2nd round levels? I have been doing that.

What do you mean similar? MG lead the NFL in ypa in 2016 and would have in 2015 if he qualified. It's extremely rare to have a RB produce on a per carry basis like that. Who is this comp?

OK then. How many backup RB's have been tendered at a 2nd round level?

6.4 mil for a back up to an already high priced rb, its not the way to go.

That is another imaginary line in the sand.

I've yet to hear one person say they feel that Shady will be back in Buffalo after this season.

This is a veteran team....that will likely be losing a half dozen older starters between the beginning of 2017 and 2018........ the 2013 draft class is all gone......there was no first round pick in 2015.......so longer term, losing key players who could be here even just TWO years from now should be a roster concern.

That is another imaginary line in the sand.

I've yet to hear one person say they feel that Shady will be back in Buffalo after this season.

This is a veteran team....that will likely be losing a half dozen older starters between the beginning of 2017 and 2018........ the 2013 draft class is all gone......there was no first round pick in 2015.......so longer term, losing key players who could be here even just TWO years from now should be a roster concern.

If Shady has close to another season this year like he had last year, I see no reason why he wouldn't be back in 2018.

What principle? That teams don't tender backup RB's/JAG WRs at 2nd round levels? I have been doing that.

If you have a young defensive end and he plays just 1/4-1/3 of the snaps but puts up 10-12 sacks.......do you suppose that guy is just considered a "backup" or more of a situational pass rusher(even if the downs are just in rotation)?

Advanced statistics suggest Gillislee is one of the leagues best RB's.......period.

You think "yeah but we have McCoy already"........well who do you have next year when McCoy is gone? Neither.

If Shady has close to another season this year like he had last year, I see no reason why he wouldn't be back in 2018.

So you think that he's going to run for 5.4 ypc put up double digit TD's and 1100-1200 yards and subsquently be brought back at $9M again?

That's a bold take Doc.

Not sure any player we have is winning us a Superbowl, that's not the way I look at it.

The running game was a big part of our scoring system, and TD Mike was a significant part of that. The best #2 back in the league.

Shady needs breathers and we never lost a beat with Mike. Watch the 2nd Miami game this year he was the reason we were even in it. Fastest man on the field by far.

McDermott said he's a believer in running the ball, yet we just let a very good value guy walk for a million bucks per year.

Do you think Jonathan Williams will be half the producer Mike was?

Quite frankly, I think we will suck next year no matter who our #2 rb is. We were in a bad spot financially and had to cut ties with good players in order to maintain some flexibility going forward. It's not all about this year. It's about building something that can win consistently year after year. We have a new coach, new schemes and a lot of learning to do regarding those schemes. I don't view us as a playoff contender nor would I have if we had retained gillislee, Gilmore or brown. We can't just keep every player because they are good. The salary cap prevents that. It's not make believe and it's the reason we lost good players this offseason. It's also the reason we signed a couple good players this offseason.

Prior to the 2015 season, I saw a window to make a run, but the defense was a failure. We didn't capitalize and it's time to rebuild. If you think gillislee is the difference between us being a contender and not, try not to think about it too much. Life is too short to raise your blood pressure over s #2 rb. We're rebuilding

Teams also don't draft enough QB's. NFL teams, by and large, are stupid. Your appeal to their "wisdom" is laughable.

If you have a young defensive end and he plays just 1/4-1/3 of the snaps but puts up 10-12 sacks.......do you suppose that guy is just considered a "backup" or more of a situational pass rusher(even if the downs are just in rotation)?

Advanced statistics suggest Gillislee is one of the leagues best RB's.......period.

You think "yeah but we have McCoy already"........well who do you have next year when McCoy is gone? Neither.

So you think that he's going to run for 5.4 ypc put up double digit TD's and 1100-1200 yards and subsquently be brought back at $9M again?

That's a bold take Doc.

I wasn't talking about a productive backup pass rusher: I was talking about a minimally-productive backup WR and a backup RB in a league has been de-emphasizing the RB position. Which is why I asked for examples of teams doing it in the past.

As for Shady, let me put it this way, until proven otherwise, I say he'll be back in 2018. How's that?

Teams also don't draft enough QB's. NFL teams, by and large, are stupid. Your appeal to their "wisdom" is laughable.

Yes because the Jets taking a QB every year the past 5 years has worked out SO well for them. Great argument.

Quite frankly, I think we will suck next year no matter who our #2 rb is. We were in a bad spot financially and had to cut ties with good players in order to maintain some flexibility going forward. It's not all about this year. It's about building something that can win consistently year after year. We have a new coach, new schemes and a lot of learning to do regarding those schemes. I don't view us as a playoff contender nor would I have if we had retained gillislee, Gilmore or brown. We can't just keep every player because they are good. The salary cap prevents that. It's not make believe and it's the reason we lost good players this offseason. It's also the reason we signed a couple good players this offseason.

Prior to the 2015 season, I saw a window to make a run, but the defense was a failure. We didn't capitalize and it's time to rebuild. If you think gillislee is the difference between us being a contender and not, try not to think about it too much. Life is too short to raise your blood pressure over s #2 rb. We're rebuilding

the problems with this is we do not have enough draft picks to replace the quality players we let walk and most of our picks will suck as they usually do. You can never get better when you continually draft to replace good players that walk off your team.

How can this team be anywhere near cap limit? one great well paid RB on offense; one good put overpaid T; 1 old G (not overpaid); 1 overpaid broke down center, 2 G/T on rookie deals; one overpaid/underutilized/misused/underperforming TE; 1 WR made of glass on rookie contract; 20 feeble WRs/TEs on minimum or rookie deals; and 12 FBs on offense. Defense one great overpaid DT (who is 1 mis-step from 16 game ban), 1 old DT, 1 DE on rookie deal and 1 old DE, 1 rookie LB and 1 LB on rookie deal, nobody in the backfield. Where is the monetary value on this piece of sh!t roster? How can a roster with so little talent and this poorly constructed cost so much? That is why Whaley should be gone.

I wasn't talking about a productive backup pass rusher: I was talking about a minimally-productive backup WR and a backup RB in a league has been de-emphasizing the RB position. Which is why I asked for examples of teams doing it in the past.

As for Shady, let me put it this way, until proven otherwise, I say he'll be back in 2018. How's that?

Yes because the Jets taking a QB every year the past 5 years has worked out SO well for them. Great argument.

This is an actual argument. Sadly, it's on the wrong point. At least you know the difference.

Amazing how many people think you can just easily find good running backs late in the draft, undrafted, on the street corner, etc. This guy was one of the most efficient runners in the league last year according to multiple analytic sites. McCoy is a year older and will certainly need plays off or games off if he can't stay healthy.

Only lost by 16 ! Go Bills.

if our defense could even slow down an opposing offense?

rb 2 could be the second most important position on our offense.

Jonathan Williams did not seem good last year. That for me is the scariest thing, Williams as our number two and McCoy missing a couple games. What does our offense even do then?

go to a 2 TE set with OJ Howard and Clay