Changes coming to Bills front office?

They wanted to fire him in Arizona so they could leave him in the desert without water.

@viccarucci

Hearing if #Bills do part ways w GM Doug Whaley, #Panthers dir of player personnel Don Gregory is not a potential replacement, as reported.

Louis Riddick was up for the 49ers job and has Philly connections to McDermott. I would think he is a more likely choice if it were to happen.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louis Riddick was up for the 49ers job and has Philly connections to McDermott. I would think he is a more likely choice if it were to happen.

If we get rid of Whaley, no need to do an extensive GM search for the best candidate. Just hire one of McDermott's buddies.

I feel a lot of these people so upset with Doug Whaley are simply jealous he has their dream job. How many players turned their career around once Doug brought them in. How many scrap heap surprises. Be grateful for what he's done and hope he gets better or pound the table for a Dougie snuff film, whatever gets you off. Thanks Dougie fresh

Thanks. That should end the thread

Why should it?

Anyway, this is what Doug does as "part of the representation":

"We're secure with our quarterback position. Obviously we're all in with EJ, and with Thad (Lewis) and Dennis Dixon and Jeff Tuel," Whaley said from the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando, Fla. "We're really excited with what we bring to the table at that position."

Why should it?

Anyway, this is what Doug does as "part of the representation":

"We're secure with our quarterback position. Obviously we're all in with EJ, and with Thad (Lewis) and Dennis Dixon and Jeff Tuel," Whaley said from the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando, Fla. "We're really excited with what we bring to the table at that position."

Any GM that goes into training camp with Manuel, Lewis, and Tuel as his Quarterbacks not just once, but twice shouldn't be a GM in the NFL.

Did I also mention that the GM has a losing record and zero playoff appearances in his 7 year tenure with the Bills including four as GM.

I really don't get the Whaley love from some on here...I mean he's a better GM than a 107 year old Marv Levy or marketing whiz Russ Brandon, but that is setting the bar pretty low. Dougie is a good scout especially on the D side of the ball, but overmatched in all other areas of being a GM.

Edited by Billy Zabka

Nix retired May 13, Whaley officially announced as GM May 16, 2013

Thank you! I'd prefer to only examine what has happened since then. This whining about decades of suffering is weak and annoying. I get it, but grow up. New owners, clock starts over, new era coming.

Maybe I am misremembering, but didn't the Peugla's back off on this coaching search and let Whaley find the candidates and make recommendations on who to hire. So basically LaCanfora is saying Whaley went out and found the guy who would get him fired four months later. Yeah, sounds like it makes sense.

Any GM that goes into training camp with Manuel, Lewis, and Tuel as his Quarterbacks not just once, but twice shouldn't be a GM in the NFL.

Did I also mention that the GM has a losing record and zero playoff appearances in his 7 year tenure with the Bills including four as GM.

I really don't get the Whaley love from some on here...I mean he's a better GM than a 107 year old Marv Levy or marketing whiz Russ Brandon, but that is setting the bar pretty low. Dougie is a good scout especially on the D side of the ball, but overmatched in all other areas of being a GM.

When Marrone went to Jacksonville, didn't Tuel follow him there? And wasn't Marrone involved in the selection of Manuel? Didn't Rex want Tyrod from Baltimore, but yeah okay it's all Whaley's fault.

Maybe I am misremembering, but didn't the Peugla's back off on this coaching search and let Whaley find the candidates and make recommendations on who to hire. So basically LaCanfora is saying Whaley went out and found the guy who would get him fired four months later. Yeah, sounds like it makes sense.

When Marrone went to Jacksonville, didn't Tuel follow him there? And wasn't Marrone involved in the selection of Manuel? Didn't Rex want Tyrod from Baltimore, but yeah okay it's all Whaley's fault.

Didn't say it was all Whaley's fault, but he bears a lot of responsibilty for the last seven years of failure, especially the last 4.

I have no idea how much Marrone was involved in the selection of Manuel. Their are reports though that Bills coaches went to Whaley after the 2013 season and said that Manuel just isn't good enough. We also have multiple reports of Marrone going nuts when they traded up for Watkins because he didn't want to trade an additional first round pick if it didn't involve getting a QB. We also have Marrone going ape crap on Whaley and Co. in training camp and then they traded for Orton so I'm not exactly sure how big of an EJ fan Marrone was. We do know from Whaley's words and actions that he was a very firm believer in EJ for years.

Thank god Rex pushed for Tyrod because if he didn't I shudder to think of the QB's that Whaley would have had out there. Without Tyrod, Whaley would have went to camp with Manuel, Tuel, Lewis back to back then Manuel, Cassel, Simms...yikes.

Whaley isn't good enough.

Didn't say it was all Whaley's fault, but he bears a lot of responsibilty for the last seven years of failure, especially the last 4.

I have no idea how much Marrone was involved in the selection of Manuel. Their are reports though that Bills coaches went to Whaley after the 2013 season and said that Manuel just isn't good enough. We also have multiple reports of Marrone going nuts when they traded up for Watkins because he didn't want to trade an additional first round pick if it didn't involve getting a QB. We also have Marrone going ape crap on Whaley and Co. in training camp and then they traded for Orton so I'm not exactly sure how big of an EJ fan Marrone was. We do know from Whaley's words and actions that he was a very firm believer in EJ for years.

Thank god Rex pushed for Tyrod because if he didn't I shudder to think of the QB's that Whaley would have had out there. Without Tyrod, Whaley would have went to camp with Manuel, Tuel, Lewis back to back then Manuel, Cassel, Simms...yikes.

Whaley isn't good enough.

That just shows that at the most important position in the game Whaley just doesn't have it. I agree with what you wrote. Marrone could see EJ didnt have it lobbied to get someone else in camp late......Rex could see it also and lobbied for TT. Without the coach's input we would of had a solid 4 years of watching EJ flounder. That pass in the flat he missed against the Jets in the finale said it all to me. Nice big, strong young man......starting NFL QB----nope. Whaley has now added Jones....another big, strong young man but this one is immature, bails back to Ohio and most likely will never get it, lets be honest. Watkins and Ragland were not worth giving up the depth that was traded away with a no. 1 pick and three 4's . We could use 4 guys on 4 year contracts right now. I would hire DW as a pro personnel guy any day....but a guy to work the draft, manage the cap, have a long term strategy of the team he's want to assemble, nope I would pass.

Edited by billsfan714

60 minutes is airing a segment tonight called "The Truth about Fake News." Since CBS employs Lacanfora, perhaps he will make an appearance ;)

can a fake news site do a truth segment about fake news? seems to be a bit of a conflict of interest there.

Did you fail to mention that the coach he had in the first two years abandoned the baby they made together and left him with it? Did you also fail to mention that the owner of the team insist he hire a "never was" car dalesman that fired our DC that had the best D we have seen in 15 years at the time because he was the "D Guru of the NFL"? Did you forget about that. You haters fail to remember the bad stuff that was given to his 4 years as a GM and fail to mention the finds and signings he has had at other key positions and focus on the one position the team has not had right in 17 years and that is the QB. But hey, we dont know what we are talking about because you people say so.

A lot of excuse making in this one.

Whaley would be long gone if Tyrod wasn't signed. He's done a bad job with the most valuable position in the league in QB.... the article puts its on Nix and then outline how bad that 2013 QB draft was. It doesn't excuse the fact Whaley simply stopped trying after Manuel was picked.

It's was actually a really bad article.

Whaley hired Schwartz? No.

Schwartz was a "savvy coach who adapted his scheme?" He ran the same scheme he's run his whole career.

A lot of excuse making in this one.

Whaley would be long gone if Tyrod wasn't signed. He's done a bad job with the most valuable position in the league in QB.... the article puts its on Nix and then outline how bad that 2013 QB draft was. It doesn't excuse the fact Whaley simply stopped trying after Manuel was picked.

he didnt. he added tyrod, drafted cardale, and probably will draft another this year or next.

I feel a lot of these people so upset with Doug Whaley are simply jealous he has their dream job. How many players turned their career around once Doug brought them in. How many scrap heap surprises. Be grateful for what he's done and hope he gets better or pound the table for a Dougie snuff film, whatever gets you off. Thanks Dougie fresh

this, is a hot take folks

Schwartz was a "savvy coach who adapted his scheme?" He ran the same scheme he's run his whole career.

well you hate everything about the bills so no wonder you dont agree with it

Ha Ha Ha - You should just change your screen name too "FireEverybody". You have obviously been at this "fire" people thing a very long time.

That was last season.

He went into the 2014 season with EJ, Tuel and Palmer as his QBs before Orton was signed. Rex brought in Tyrod, not Whaley.

He's mostly ignored the most valuable position in the league. It's inexcusable.

ej was only in his second year in 2014, hard to give up on a first round pick after half a year. maybe they shouldnt have brought in orton. If ej would have played all year then ya the bills would haved sucked but atleast everyone would know for sure ej wasnt any good then they could have moved on sooner and would have had alot better draft pick. Instead we got orton and finished 9-7 cause marrone wanted to save face.

And again was whaley not gm when tyrod was added, then it was a move made by him.

Edited by Pbomb

Ha Ha Ha - You should just change your screen name too "FireEverybody". You have obviously been at this "fire" people thing a very long time.

You're catching on.

Every message board has a resident baby who cries in every post....I think I identified who that is on these boards.

More fans!

ej was only in his second year in 2014, hard to give up on a first round pick after half a year. maybe they shouldnt have brought in orton. If ej would have played all year then ya the bills would haved sucked but atleast everyone would know for sure ej wasnt any good then they could have moved on sooner and would have had alot better draft pick. Instead we got orton and finished 9-7 cause marrone wanted to save face.

And again was whaley not gm when tyrod was added, then it was a move made by him.

By that logic, Was Whaley not GM when Rex Ryan was hired? Then it was a move made by him. Was Whaley not GM when Doug Marrone was hired? Then it was a move made by him.

By that logic, Was Whaley not GM when Rex Ryan was hired? Then it was a move made by him. Was Whaley not GM when Doug Marrone was hired? Then it was a move made by him.

Whaley was not GM when Marrone was hired. Or when EJ was drafted. Or when the Hughes trade happened.

Essentially part of the difficulty in this exercise is knowing who exactly has been responsible for what. It is not always as simple as "who had their name above the door?" As Kirby has told us lots of times on here from his knowledge of the organisation the Bills are very collabrative in the way they work inside the walls of OBD. So decisions are rarely made by 1 person that you can point at and say "that was Rex" or "that was Buddy Nix" or "that was Doug Whaley." They are arrived at through discussion and consensus.

My personal belief is that the owners should have done more to create a clear accountability and chain of command since taking over, but every move they have made has made things less clear not more clear.

For our part we can either mark everything out by timelines or we can try and pick through the evidence we have to understand where the driver for certain decisions was. Either way the picture on Doug's reign is less than complete.

everyone is entitled to their opinion. I always thought marrone was a brandon hire and rex was also a pegulas and brandon favorite. While whaley im sure had input i believe didnt have the final say on either. But that is just my opinion

Every message board has a resident baby who cries in every post....I think I identified who that is on these boards.

Baby? As in singular? Stick around for a game day thread and you'll change your tune. There's way more than 1.

everyone is entitled to their opinion. I always thought marrone was a brandon hire and rex was also a pegulas and brandon favorite. While whaley im sure had input i believe didnt have the final say on either. But that is just my opinion

....pretty sure you are 100% correct.......Marrone called Brandon almost daily after his interview as to status of hiring......Wrecks was Brandon's "Ticketmaster" idea............

Baby? As in singular? Stick around for a game day thread and you'll change your tune. There's way more than 1.

Don't judge me by game threads please. I pride myself on being rationale... but in the heat of the moment in the game I am often irrational.

Whaley was not GM when Marrone was hired. Or when EJ was drafted. Or when the Hughes trade happened.

Essentially part of the difficulty in this exercise is knowing who exactly has been responsible for what. It is not always as simple as "who had their name above the door?" As Kirby has told us lots of times on here from his knowledge of the organisation the Bills are very collabrative in the way they work inside the walls of OBD. So decisions are rarely made by 1 person that you can point at and say "that was Rex" or "that was Buddy Nix" or "that was Doug Whaley." They are arrived at through discussion and consensus.

My personal belief is that the owners should have done more to create a clear accountability and chain of command since taking over, but every move they have made has made things less clear not more clear.

For our part we can either mark everything out by timelines or we can try and pick through the evidence we have to understand where the driver for certain decisions was. Either way the picture on Doug's reign is less than complete.

The collaborative approach is not a bad approach to take in this evaluative and judgmental type of business. The caveat is that everyone needs to be imbued with the same or similar line of reasoning. As long as there is a coherency within different segments of the organization then the collaborative approach is a good business model and environment to work within.

As you well know the problem is when there is a conflict between the factions (front office and coaching staff). That was clearly evident between the Ryan and Whaley factions. A franchise being tugged in different directions is a recipe for failure.

I get the sense that Pegula was instrumental in the hiring of McDermott as it was with the Rex hire. As an owner that is his right. But that doesn't mean that from an organizational standpoint it was the right approach to take. After the Ryan fiasco Pegula should have learned that the GM has to be enthusiastically on board with the coaching hire. If that isn't the case here then what does it tell you? It tells me that the owner doesn't think too highly what the GM really thinks. If that is the reality then it is an ominous sign for the GM's job status.

The collaborative approach is not a bad approach to take in this evaluative and judgmental type of business. The caveat is that everyone needs to be imbued with the same or similar line of reasoning. As long as there is a coherency within different segments of the organization then the collaborative approach is a good business model and environment to work within.

As you well know the problem is when there is a conflict between the factions (front office and coaching staff). That was clearly evident between the Ryan and Whaley factions. A franchise being tugged in different directions is a recipe for failure.

I get the sense that Pegula was instrumental in the hiring of McDermott as it was with the Rex hire. As an owner that is his right. But that doesn't mean that from an organizational standpoint it was the right approach to take. After the Ryan fiasco Pegula should have learned that the GM has to be enthusiastically on board with the coaching hire. If that isn't the case here then what does it tell you? It tells me that the owner doesn't think too highly what the GM really thinks. If that is the reality then it is an ominous sign for the GM's job status.

To be fair, the narrative out of OBD in season was that Doug had assumed protected status by the Pegulas and they trusted him implicitly.