Changes coming to Bills front office?

Understand so What to believe

This would be like who drafted the lousy 2013 draft class Whaley or Nix

If Whaley is that bad the sooner he's gone the better no?

Again, what is the alternative? There are not GMs in waiting with their own developed draft board and scouting team who can come in and take the reins from Whaley before the draft.

Unless you want to hire Todd McShay or Mel Kiper to make the picks, you have to stick with Whaley until the draft is over.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extremely rare to fire your GM at that time of year, when he is neck deep in the college scouting process. It's just not a practical move that benefits your franchise in any way.

Except every year a couple of teams fire their GM at the end of the season. Is it your contention that it's ok to fire the guy in January but no later?

This assumes there's a magic unicorn QB in this draft that keeping Taylor prevents you from drafting. This is not a good QB draft. But I've seen this movie before. Agents and reporters fluff up the players until fans think any one of 5 players are future hall of famers. That's exactly how 2013 played out.

And if we did draft a QB this year, what of last year's darling Cardale Jones, especially if we still sign a veteran backup? Are we done with him?

This is the problem with this type of thinking. Here, in Buffalo, the fan base believes that EVERY year that it's bad QB class, which leads us to drafting only 5 quarterbacks since Doug Flutie left. And we messed up on all of them. I don't think it even matters because Our past GMs and scouts sucked.

Then Atlanta gets Matt Ryan. Dallas gets Dak Prescott. Seattle takes Russell Wilson. The Raiders get Carr. So this is our reasoning? That Tyrod is good enough and every QB class is bad and we have other holes to fill on the roster? Wow. I heard that every single year after Flutie left. That leaves QB as an afterthought. That's stupid. That's awful thinking.

I'm already thinking that we draft wide receiver Mike Williams at number 10. I have no problem taking Williams at 10 because our receiving corp is terrible. Yet still, gotta draft a QB somewhere. By the way, I don't have problems if we started Cardale Jones if he beats Tyrod in training camp and preseason.

Except every year a couple of teams fire their GM at the end of the season. Is it your contention that it's ok to fire the guy in January but no later?

And every year (and I'm not sold on that as a fact) that a team fires their GM in January, their scouting process is thrown into turmoil. It is my contention that January is among the WORST times to fire a GM given where the scope of the college scouting process is at that time.

This is the problem with this type of thinking. Here, in Buffalo, the fan base believes that EVERY year that it's bad QB class, which leads us to drafting only 5 quarterbacks since Doug Flutie left. And we messed up on all of them. I don't think it even matters because Our past GMs and scouts sucked.

Then Atlanta gets Matt Ryan. Dallas gets Dak Prescott. Seattle takes Russell Wilson. The Raiders get Carr. So this is our reasoning? That Tyrod is good enough and every QB class is bad and we have other holes to fill on the roster? Wow. I heard that every single year after Flutie left. That leaves QB as an afterthought. That's stupid. That's awful thinking.

I'm already thinking that we draft wide receiver Mike Williams at number 10. I have no problem taking Williams at 10 because our receiving corp is terrible. Yet still, gotta draft a QB somewhere. By the way, I don't have problems if we started Cardale Jones if he beats Tyrod in training camp and preseason.

No, every class is not a bad class, but this year is. Pretty much every neutral observer feels that way. It's only now, in the hype season leading up to the draft that so-and-so's "stock is rising." That's not reality. That's hype coming from agents and certain bloggers who lap up what they are given.

As for Matt Ryan, how were the Bills supposed to draft him when he went third and we picked 11th? (EDIT: I'm surprised you didn't bring up Joe Flacco. He went 7 picks after we took Leodis "My Man.")

I'll give you Russell and Dak, though Dak was not as highly thought of before the draft. As for Carr, it took almost three seasons for him to bloom. Judging by this board's average attention span, we would never give a QB three year to mature.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm not a fan of Whaley in any way but this seems pretty odd. Fire your GM AFTER the draft and free agency?? Undermining him with McDermott's people isn't a good way either. This guys is going from a defensive coordinator to a guy that makes all the decisions?

We have had mostly the same damn scouts for the last 17 years of futility. Whaley nor this entire scouting Dept. Can evaluate QB's worth a damn. Look at the track record on Draft picks and FA QB's. Complete and utter failure.

I say clean house right after the draft. Fire whaley and All scouts. Get someone in here that can evaluate talent and let them fill in with their own scouts.

We have had mostly the same damn scouts for the last 17 years of futility. Whaley nor this entire scouting Dept. Can evaluate QB's worth a damn. Look at the track record on Draft picks and FA QB's. Complete and utter failure.

I say clean house right after the draft. Fire whaley and All scouts. Get someone in here that can evaluate talent and let them fill in with their own scouts.

Actually not true.

No, every class is not a bad class, but this year is. Pretty much every neutral observer feels that way. It's only now, in the hype season leading up to the draft that so-and-so's "stock is rising." That's not reality. That's hype coming from agents and certain bloggers who lap up what they are given.

As for Matt Ryan, how were the Bills supposed to draft him when he went third and we picked 11th? I'll give you Russell and Dak, though Dak was not as highly thought of before the draft. As for Carr, it took almost three seasons for him to bloom. Judging by this board's average attention span, we would never give a QB three year to mature.

I ask you Promo, what years were "bad classes" and what ones were "good" in the last 5?

Carr was the truth by his second year, BTW. He was MVP status in 3 years, but he was a good QB year two. 4000 yards and 32 TD's and 13 picks with a 91.1 passer rating. And he had a pretty good rookie year, unlike some of our unmentionables.

Edited by FireChan

I don't believe this is a bad qb class. Any one or more of Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, or even Kizer could end up being a good pro.

There are no sure fire franchise qbs. Those are very rare. Would anyone trade up for Goff now?

"Every neutral observer" -- this means those who agree with me are objective; those who don't are biased. Convenient.

Edited by Dr. Who

I don't believe this is a bad qb class. Any one or more of Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, or even Kizer could end up being a good pro.

There are no sure fire franchise qbs. Those are very rare. Would anyone trade up for Goff now?

"Every neutral observer" -- this means those who agree with me are objective; those who don't are biased. Convenient.

He pretends to be objective but he just wants Tyrod to have no competition.

werent 90% people saying rex was gonna get fired and it was pretty obvious tyrod wasnt playing well and they didnt want him getting hurt so not sure he really went out on a limb with those predictions. Also hes bound to be right sometimes when you just randomly throw stuff out there, how many times has he been wrong just this offseason

The other 10% were Doug Whaley...

Whaley is not a gifted public speaker, and one can argue whether or not that's a pre-requisite for being a good GM. I posted back in my BBMB days that I have met two different Nobel prize winners during my career, both brilliant, and both lousy public speakers. Whaley does not have to be a brilliant public speaker to be an effective GM. I don't know the last time I heard from or saw an interview with Ozzie in Baltimore yet he's a great GM. Making McDermott the voice in public makes sense if it's a skill set he has that the GM doesn't.

When those two Nobel winners did speak, did anyone ask "how did these guys ever win a Nobel prize??", or is there any story anywhere that ,after Ozzie has spoken, where those he was speaking to were prompted by his performance in the speech to ask him "so what is it that you actually do"?

No, of course not. So, no, a GM does not have to be "brilliant public speaker"--that doesn't even need to be stated. But he does have to give the public the perception that he is in control of whatever it is he does. He was not some "company man" saying what the boss wants him to say (Pegula was off camera cringing no doubt--I'm sure Kim was).

He is not a bright guy. Bring in a brighter guy.

I'm confused by this whole thing. If Whaley was going to be fired why wait? Fire him at the same time as Rex. Whaley has to have some idea of where he stands with the Pegulas. They don't strike me as the kind of people that would keep him around to torture him. If Whaley even suspected he was going to be out he would already be gone.

Whaley claims that he didn't even suspect where Rex stood with Pegula minutes before Pegula sacked him. So...

Extremely rare to fire your GM at that time of year, when he is neck deep in the college scouting process. It's just not a practical move that benefits your franchise in any way.

It was essentially the end of the season. When do most GMs get fired?

I ask you Promo, what years were "bad classes" and what ones were "good" in the last 5?

Carr was the truth by his second year, BTW. He was MVP status in 3 years, but he was a good QB year two. 4000 yards and 32 TD's and 13 picks with a 91.1 passer rating. And he had a pretty good rookie year, unlike some of our unmentionables.

I recall 2013 and this draft being called poor QB years by the media before we entered hype season (when all QB's suddenly see their stock rise.)

If we go back just 5 years, 2012 was the year of Andrew Luck. The Bills famously missed out on Russel Wilson, and if you want to lower the bar a bit, Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles. We all know about 2013. 2014 was almost as bad. Carr and Bridgewater (who I don't consider that good) were late first rounders. The Bills would have had to overdraft them or trade up 11 spots to get either. Who knows if they tried to do that?

2015 was a dry hole once you got past Mariota and Winston (unless you consider Trevor Siemian a franchise QB.) The Bills had no shot at either. 2016 had QBs at #1 and #2. Again, the Bills weren't getting Wentz or Cook (thank god.) Dak was the prize of this Cracker Jack box and you can hate on the Bills for not taking him but consider 5 other QBs were taken before him (and after the top 2.) Even the Hoodie, genius that he is, master of football, took Jacoby Brissett when Dak was on the board.

But you want want the Bills biggest whiffs, I'd say 2012 with Wilson and 2008 with Flacco stand out. Also, it's worth going to Wikipedia and looking at draft years 2009-2011. Three years totally devoid of QB talent.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It's about time for lazy tabloid Jerry Sullivan to spin out a report citing this report from the Buffalo News citing LaConjecture from CBS.

The guy just can't resist the urge to incite controversy and make the Bills front office look bad.

It's about time for lazy tabloid Jerry Sullivan to spin out a report citing this report from the Buffalo News citing LaConjecture from CBS.

The guy just can't resist the urge to incite controversy and make the Bills front office look bad.

Super hot take

The other 10% were Doug Whaley...

When those two Nobel winners did speak, did anyone ask "how did these guys ever win a Nobel prize??", or is there any story anywhere that ,after Ozzie has spoken, where those he was speaking to were prompted by his performance in the speech to ask him "so what is it that you actually do"?

No, of course not. So, no, a GM does not have to be "brilliant public speaker"--that doesn't even need to be stated. But he does have to give the public the perception that he is in control of whatever it is he does. He was not some "company man" saying what the boss wants him to say (Pegula was off camera cringing no doubt--I'm sure Kim was).

He is not a bright guy. Bring in a brighter guy.

Whaley claims that he didn't even suspect where Rex stood with Pegula minutes before Pegula sacked him. So...

It was essentially the end of the season. When do most GMs get fired?

The question is not whether he is a bright guy or not. The question is whether he is good at his job as a GM, and the "brightness" that is needed for that position. And to me being able to speak in public is not a prerequisite for that. Judging him on what a GM does I would say he has done some good things and some bad. He is on the hot seat to get this team into the playoffs, as it should be. But at some point we have to have some continuity in the coaching and GM staffs so that as a team they can decide on a philosophy and commit to it so you can target the right kinds of guys to draft, get in FA, etc.

BINGO

PLUS, the way the media seems to want to attack him - remove the possibility.

If they try to treat Coach McD like they did Anthony they will have another thing coming.

I think the Pegulas have had it up to their ears with this media ****.

What?

Treat Anthony?

We felt bad Lynn was forced into a position of answering questions that needed to be asked but couldn't directly answer because 1) he was prepping for a game. 2) the decisions were made above his head. 3) he was in the running for the job.

Silly to blame the media for the front-office's own failures.

jw