Changes coming to Bills front office?

People need to see that their have been changes with how the Bills have been handling things. The bluster of Ryan is gone. The Bills are also doing the minimum required for Media. They also said early on that they wanted the Coach to be the voice of the team going forward. I am not sure why people seem to think this is causing Whaley to loose his job. you don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Whaley has always looked uncomfortable in front of the camera.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, when coaches got more powerful they wanted more roster control. And time after time they failed. Belichick and Carroll are unique. Most NFL head coaches can't think more than 1 year ahead.

I would rather follow the Broncos, Steelers, Ravens model for success. Pegulas have sold you a bill of goods.

What have I bought? I just commented on one post and you are labeling me after that.

Seems like you think your assumptions are always valid.

McDermott comes across to me as an innovative HC willing to make the adjustments he deems appropriate in all 3 phases of the game.

Myself personally, I think the Bills may have finally hit pay dirt.

He was willing to come to Buffalo, I'll give him that.

Offense? Tried to bring the best of the best but they didn't like the Buffalo job, settled for Dennison.

Defense? Leslie Frazier, some guy he was buddies with back in the day. No NFL team wanted him as DC the year before, now he's running our defense.

Special Teams? Danny Crossman can keep doing what he is doing.

Innovation? Where? What's so innovative about playing zone coverage and not blitzing?

What have I bought? I just commented on one post and you are labeling me after that.

Seems like you think your assumptions are always valid.

You are defending a power structure that doesn't work. Belichick and Carroll are in unique situations. McDermott needs to win now. That's what he is doing. The long term health of the Bills means nothing to him.

I recall 2013 and this draft being called poor QB years by the media before we entered hype season (when all QB's suddenly see their stock rise.)

If we go back just 5 years, 2012 was the year of Andrew Luck. The Bills famously missed out on Russel Wilson, and if you want to lower the bar a bit, Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles. We all know about 2013. 2014 was almost as bad. Carr and Bridgewater (who I don't consider that good) were late first rounders. The Bills would have had to overdraft them or trade up 11 spots to get either. Who knows if they tried to do that?

2015 was a dry hole once you got past Mariota and Winston (unless you consider Trevor Siemian a franchise QB.) The Bills had no shot at either. 2016 had QBs at #1 and #2. Again, the Bills weren't getting Wentz or Cook (thank god.) Dak was the prize of this Cracker Jack box and you can hate on the Bills for not taking him but consider 5 other QBs were taken before him (and after the top 2.) Even the Hoodie, genius that he is, master of football, took Jacoby Brissett when Dak was on the board.

But you want want the Bills biggest whiffs, I'd say 2012 with Wilson and 2008 with Flacco stand out. Also, it's worth going to Wikipedia and looking at draft years 2009-2011. Three years totally devoid of QB talent.

I guess what I'm trying to say is rank the last 5 classes in terms of "strength."

I'd probably go 2015 > 2016 > 2014=2017 > 2013.

If we had drafted Carr top 10 in 2014, would it have been so bad? Do you think every QB in this class will suck, like 2013?

He was willing to come to Buffalo, I'll give him that.

Offense? Tried to bring the best of the best but they didn't like the Buffalo job, settled for Dennison.

Defense? Leslie Frazier, some guy he was buddies with back in the day. No NFL team wanted him as DC the year before, now he's running our defense.

Special Teams? Danny Crossman can keep doing what he is doing.

Innovation? Where? What's so innovative about playing zone coverage and not blitzing?

McDermott hasn't even coached a game yet my god man.

Do you always get so dramatic in the offseason?

You are defending a power structure that doesn't work. Belichick and Carroll are in unique situations. McDermott needs to win now. That's what he is doing. The long term health of the Bills means nothing to him.

It clearly does work and has worked in 2 situations so far and I would assume Parcells at one time or another was successful in it to. Just because you dont agree with it and your opinion directly conflicts with the fact that it has worked successfully in the past doesnt mean that what you say is true, learn the difference between your opinion and the fact that it has worked in the past, and is working currently. Will our HC be successful at it, you have no more insight to him being not successful than any fan has towards him being successful. You post alot hot air as if it is fact. Edited by Bill_with_it

It clearly does work and has worked in 2 situations so far and I would assume Parcells at one time or another was successful in it to. Just because you dont agree with it and your opinion directly conflicts with the fact that it has worked successfully in the past doesnt mean that what you say is true, learn the difference between your opinion and the fact that it has worked in the past, and is working currently. Will our HC be successful at it, you have no more insight to him being not successful than any fan has towards him being successful. You post alot hot air as if it is fact.

If this is what passes for an argument from the BBMB folks color me unimpressed. Make a point and stop rambling.

What makes Belicheck and Carroll unique? If it works, it's unique.

The Dolphins made the playoffs in their first year...doesn't work.

Sean Payton must be unique too.

Dan Quinn made a lot of changes, especially on defense for the Falcons.

Since there was no one else there to answer questions, among the questions that needed to be answered was who made the decision to bench Tyrod Taylor.

Lynn essentially answered the question by saying he wasn't in the room when that decision was made. Obviously, the follow up questions were whether he was OK with that and what his thoughts were moving forward with EJ Manuel and/or Cardale.

And obviously, there were numerous follow up questions on QB, since there were injury questions involved and questions about Tyrod's future.

The questions presented Anthony weren't done in a vacuum, they were merely to get at what Lynn knew to be the truth.

It's also quite clear that Lynn was unhappy to be placed into that position and left to dangle because the GM -- whom numerous asked to speak to -- declined all interview requests.

Had Whaley deemed to make himself available and not spend the practice period open to the media hiding in the off-limits weight-room area, then Lynn and the Bills would not be placed in a decision to be exposed to what occurred.

Otherwise, Lynn was not pestered about who fired Rex.

jw

Whaley isn't apt to make himself available in those situations and he should have been compelled by someone in PR or higher up to do just that.

But, as when people bring up the defense when defending TT's performance as a QB, that is simply not relevant. Just as the elements of TT's execution of his position can be critiqued on their own merits on a play to play basis, so, too, can the performance of media members at pressers. Given that they knew the parameters of Lynn's press conference beforehand, some performed miserably on a question to question basis. I'll just let it go at that.

I appreciate your participation and feedback in this thread.

What makes Belicheck and Carroll unique? If it works, it's unique.

The Dolphins made the playoffs in their first year...doesn't work.

Sean Payton must be unique too.

Dan Quinn made a lot of changes, especially on defense for the Falcons.

Job security. I already explained that. The Dolphins are not a model franchise. The Falcons are a wait and see. Kyle Shanahan and the offense carried the team, not Quinn.

The Bears? What have they done? The Dolphins roster is almost as bad as Buffalo. 49ers? Ok, they are terrible.

If you use the Patriots you have to explain how Mcdermott compares to Belichick. He doesn't.

I don't think anyone saying McDermott is Belichek.

But when you mention the teams that "do it right," you are mentioning two of the best GMs of the modern NFL(Ozzie Newsome and Ted Thompson) and the greatest, most knowledgeable ownership group in the NFL(Rooneys). They are also outliers using your parameters.

The fact is that is becoming increasingly common for the HC to control the roster while pairing him with a strong talent evaluator.

The "GM as King" model, which it seems that you are calling for, is simply not the only way that teams are or can be run anymore. There aren't 30 GMs like that in the league anymore. The way the league is trending is that you find a guy who is going to be the leader for your organization, whether that be a front office guy or the coach, and then empower him fully execute his plan.

If Ozzie Newsome quit tomorrow and said I'm looking for a new job, I'd be the first guy to say "go get him; give him full power." But he's not so they need to figure out a different way. Plenty of teams are successful with a model in which the HC has more power than the personnel guy.

If dramatic means not expecting to go to the playoffs then sure, I'm dramatic.

Yes you are dramatic.

I don't know if we will make the playoffs but I'm also not shooting down and complaining about almost everything the Bills are doing.

Let's not see how are first year coach does in his first year...let's doom and gloom in his first 3 months on the job.

If this is what passes for an argument from the BBMB folks color me unimpressed. Make a point and stop rambling.

I did. Your opinion regardless of how many times you say it doesnt make it true especially when provided 2 if not more concrete examples contradicting your opinion. There is no argument youropinion is false and has been proven to be so. Move along now.

Yes you are dramatic.

I don't know if we will make the playoffs but I'm also not shooting down and complaining about almost everything the Bills are doing.

Let's not see how are first year coach does in his first year...let's doom and gloom in his first 3 months on the job.

It's a message board. There will be opinions different than clap and cheer. Stop being so dramatic if someone disagrees with the sunshine and rainbows view.

I did. Your opinion regardless of how many times you say it doesnt make it true especially when provided 2 if not more concrete examples contradicting your opinion. There is no argument youropinion is false and has been proven to be so. Move along now.

Please don't write phrases like this "when provided 2 if not more". Ouch.

This strikes me as a tad specious with a touch of sophistry.