Changes coming to Bills front office?

What?

Treat Anthony?

We felt bad Lynn was forced into a position of answering questions that needed to be asked but couldn't directly answer because 1) he was prepping for a game. 2) the decisions were made above his head. 3) he was in the running for the job.

Silly to blame the media for the front-office's own failures.

jw

That was an ownership failure. Abdication of responsibility. Pure and simple.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead name these teams. And Patriots don't count as Belichick had broken the mold of coaches in win now mode.

The Ravens, Steelers, Packers don't follow that model. Bills recipe is one for losing.

final say over 53

pete carroll - seattle

dan quinn - atlanta

kyle shanahan - SF

McDermott is a Jauron type of coach for me until proven otherwise. Plays a simple, conservative scheme that depends on high end defensive talent. Will do everything he can to squeeze 7 wins out of a weak roster.

Please don't make the coach the GM.

I don't believe he will be GM but Whaley wont be for much longer, imo. as for your Jauron comparison, that made me laugh and even if the schemes are similar McD is nothing like Jauron and your squeezing 7 wins and weak roster comment is nothing more than speculation on your part.

I see McD having better results than the skeleton and the roster is better than you give credit for therefore I believe they'll win more than 7 games...?

see, I can play the speculation game too!

That was an ownership failure. Abdication of responsibility. Pure and simple.

His sources tell him the ownership is mad at Whaley - not really sure how or why considering they were the cause of the whole Rex disaster and the reason Doug couldn't answer any questions...

What would the owners expect if they ignore the advice of their GM, hire their own guy, constantly interfere with the running of the organization and undermine the GM at every turn?

McDermott is a Jauron type of coach for me until proven otherwise. Plays a simple, conservative scheme that depends on high end defensive talent. Will do everything he can to squeeze 7 wins out of a weak roster.

Please don't make the coach the GM.

What makes you think McDermott is anything like Jauron? He played Jim Johnson's style D in Philly and went to the cover 3 zone concept under Rivera in Carolina. Jauron did a Tampa 2 here.

final say over 53

pete carroll - seattle

dan quinn - atlanta

kyle shanahan - SF

Carroll is a Superbowl winner with a lifelong contract.

Shanahan is new coach given a 6 year contract. No track record.

Quinn's roster was already in place when he took over.

So basically give you Belichick and Carroll. Two Superbowl coach coaches with unlimited job security.

So you have nothing else?

What makes you think McDermott is anything like Jauron? He played Jim Johnson's style D in Philly and went to the cover 3 zone concept under Rivera in Carolina. Jauron did a Tampa 2 here.

McDermott has gotten more conservative every year. Doesn't like to blitz. He picked Tampa 2 coach Frazier to run his defense, another conservative coach known for lack of innovation.

His sources tell him the ownership is mad at Whaley - not really sure how or why considering they were the cause of the whole Rex disaster and the reason Doug couldn't answer any questions...

What would the owners expect if they ignore the advice of their GM, hire their own guy, constantly interfere with the running of the organization and undermine the GM at every turn?

I agree with this. Whaley was put in a bad spot and he's not a good public speaker. The result was unsurprising.

McDermott has gotten more conservative every year. Doesn't like to blitz. He picked Tampa 2 coach Frazier to run his defense, another conservative coach known for lack of innovation.

I hope you're wrong. He's never been a head coach, so I don't think one can be absolutely certain of your conjecture, though it does seem plausible.

I agree with this. Whaley was put in a bad spot and he's not a good public speaker. The result was unsurprising.

I hope you're wrong. He's never been a head coach, so I don't think one can be absolutely certain of your conjecture, though it does seem plausible.

I have no idea what he will do. But all the signs point to the fact that McDermott isn't a Belichick or Carroll, just another defensive minded coach trying to grind out wins.

The Tyrod Taylor situation, the Leslie Frazier hire are all red flags for me. The draft is coming and we will know even more soon enough.

What?

Treat Anthony?

We felt bad Lynn was forced into a position of answering questions that needed to be asked but couldn't directly answer because 1) he was prepping for a game. 2) the decisions were made above his head. 3) he was in the running for the job.

Silly to blame the media for the front-office's own failures.

jw

John:

I think the Lynn press conference was a disaster. Whaley's not so much; I just don't think it's something Whaley is good at for whatever reason. But while I have you here, I wonder if you could comment on the propensity of some in your profession to make a living off simply reporting rumors etc. like we see with this LaCanfora article. Is this typical nowadays of what we are to expect of journalism? I like your comments in this thread because you tell us you don't report unless you have fact. Why is it you do that but others apparently do not?

I can't speak for others.

I'm trained to get the facts directly by talking to people whom I trust and not merely rushing out and citing others, who are using unnamed sources.

This doesn't mean I ignore the reports or doubt them. It's my job to get to the truth, and that's what I do.

If all I did was quote Schefter, Rappaport or LaCanfora then what would be the purpose of me covering the Bills?

jw

YES, the way they treated Anthony Lynn. It is referred to as "Shooting the messanger". Only in this case the people the media really wanted to HANG were not there so they took out their anger on a fill-in OC who just days before was thrust into the interim HC job.

By GOD they (media) were gunning for someone and it did not matter to them that they attacked an innocent pawn (AL).

If you say so.

I wasn't angry at Lynn, so you're wrong in blaming all media.

jw

Off the top of my head:

Seahawks

Chiefs

Dolphins

Patriots - they are not an exception, BB was de facto GM the day he was hired in NE, long before he was thought of as anything more than a great DC

Saints

Bears

49ers

I'm sure there are others and were others in the past.

I have no idea what he will do. But all the signs point to the fact that McDermott isn't a Belichick or Carroll, just another defensive minded coach trying to grind out wins.

The Tyrod Taylor situation, the Leslie Frazier hire are all red flags for me. The draft is coming and we will know even more soon enough.

McDermott comes across to me as an innovative HC willing to make the adjustments he deems appropriate in all 3 phases of the game.

Myself personally, I think the Bills may have finally hit pay dirt.

I agree with your last sentence entirely.

I would only quibble about some of those questions Anthony was asked. It is my understanding the media was apprised of the nature of AL's presser as being that of the weekly coach's presser and I feel the questions should have been appropriate for that venue. I fully understand the need for the media to find out what happened in the front office vis a vis RR's firing, but why did some insist on putting Lynn on the spot, anyway? Especially after being informed of the nature of the presser? Seems it is just as silly to have expected Lynn to provide answers to questions the media knew wasn't in his purview to answer. Just as silly as anyone blaming the media for front office failures.

Since there was no one else there to answer questions, among the questions that needed to be answered was who made the decision to bench Tyrod Taylor.

Lynn essentially answered the question by saying he wasn't in the room when that decision was made. Obviously, the follow up questions were whether he was OK with that and what his thoughts were moving forward with EJ Manuel and/or Cardale.

And obviously, there were numerous follow up questions on QB, since there were injury questions involved and questions about Tyrod's future.

The questions presented Anthony weren't done in a vacuum, they were merely to get at what Lynn knew to be the truth.

It's also quite clear that Lynn was unhappy to be placed into that position and left to dangle because the GM -- whom numerous asked to speak to -- declined all interview requests.

Had Whaley deemed to make himself available and not spend the practice period open to the media hiding in the off-limits weight-room area, then Lynn and the Bills would not be placed in a decision to be exposed to what occurred.

Otherwise, Lynn was not pestered about who fired Rex.

jw

Off the top of my head:

Seahawks

Chiefs

Dolphins

Patriots - they are not an exception, BB was de facto GM the day he was hired in NE, long before he was thought of as anything more than a great DC

Saints

Bears

49ers

The Bears? What have they done? The Dolphins roster is almost as bad as Buffalo. 49ers? Ok, they are terrible.

If you use the Patriots you have to explain how Mcdermott compares to Belichick. He doesn't.

Off the top of my head:

Seahawks

Chiefs

Dolphins

Saints

Bears

49ers

Pete Carroll I believe is the one who persuaded Kraft to give more power to HC's.

This is where I think Parcells stated "if you want me to cook the food, let me buy the groceries" when he left NE.

Edited by Teeflebees

http://www.espnfrontrow.com/2017/01/fox-v-espn-anatomy-moving-target/

Boy , you sure are a genius OC...FS1 is just CRUSHING ESPN....

I will give you this, you love to take credit for being a genius when all evidence is clearly against you...maybe you should run for the presidency next cycle.

I haven't seen someone get destroyed this bad in a long time. Well done.

so who did you want as HC? Keep Rex?

Carroll is a Superbowl winner with a lifelong contract.

Shanahan is new coach given a 6 year contract. No track record.

Quinn's roster was already in place when he took over.

So basically give you Belichick and Carroll. Two Superbowl coach coaches with unlimited job security.

So you have nothing else?

Belichek was given roster control day 1 in NE. And in Cleveland BTW.

Carroll was given roster control day 1 in SEA.

Pete Carroll I believe is the one who persuaded Kraft to give more power to HC's.

This is where I think Parcells stated "if you want me to cook the food, let me buy the groceries" when he left NE.

Yes, when coaches got more powerful they wanted more roster control. And time after time they failed. Belichick and Carroll are unique. Most NFL head coaches can't think more than 1 year ahead.

I would rather follow the Broncos, Steelers, Ravens model for success. Pegulas have sold you a bill of goods.

Edited by jeffismagic