Changes coming to Bills front office?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate JW's contribution, especially to threads like this where speculation is quite high.

I think Whaley being muted to the media was long overdue. I have said his public speaking was a serious issue dating back to his first official press conference.

I don't think articulating your thoughts like some Ronald Reagan type is a necessary feature of a GM, and if Whaley were some "kid genius" out of the gate no one would care that he can barely finish a coherent sentence without contradicting the one before it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... maybe Whaley could have afforded to completely bomb a press conference had the team made the playoffs one of these years. Being a liability with the microphone and building a questionable roster should put any manager on the hot seat.

More LaClickbait... please disregard.

At some point, regardless of topic, people are going to realize that this is the new business model of MOST of the media.

And, at another point, somebody is going to realize that credibility/time + patience...is the ultimate winning business model for the media(there are multiple, recent, glaring examples of the opposite = Tax Returns).

In the meantime, we are going to be caught between the Howard Cosell/Newspaper nostalgics, the Jim Rome "hard hitters"(otherwise known as the assistant manager club), ESPN pretending it is 60 Minutes(while 60 minutes itself is fighting to stay relevant), and the Walter Football AdSense click-model clowns.

Most of the media, in general, can't find their way out of this morass. Talent always wins in the end. The trouble is obvious: not much actual talent out there. In the last 5 years media people/their culture have been blitzkrieged. The ONLY reason they haven't been killed/captured is..."tradition, mostly".

Rick Jeanneret proves this over and over. In my travels, I have heard all sorts of hockey announcers. If Rick is 1...the closest is 3...and the worst is ~25.

Wait! He's hardly, "the media" right? Wrong. Ask yourself: If the same exact info was given to Jeanneret, or LaCanafora, about women's softball, and they both wrote a blurb about it, who would you believe? Who would do a better job, objectively, of conferring that info to us?

Be honest, with us, and yourself.

But what about "Access"? Meaning: what if the GM of the Bills refuses to talk to you? What if the entire NFL refuses to talk to you? Again: talent always wins. Most days I don't get "access". In fact, most of the time, some client staff go out of their way to deny me the facts/lie. I don't ask for "access", and I don't need it.

Last time: Talent always wins.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

While I'm at it....

I remember a thread about sports media, a few years ago...when I predicted that FS1 would destroy ESPN, specifically because: Fox management has already proven it knows how to penetrate a seemingly impenetrable market(See: Ratings of Fox News, today), because the market, in truth, is rotten.

I was told that I was totally wrong, and the business was so big that all FS1 was doing was jumping into an underserved market, at best. I was told all sorts of crap as well. The numbers don't lie. In 1996 Fox got into the cable news business. The business results have been devastating for their competition.

Now: I direct your, and those who told me I was totally wrong, to this: ESPN's top "talent" like them or not, have moved to FS1. And, there's this small story, about $100 million in on-air layoffs.

I wonder where those clowns who argued with me, back when FS1 started are today. Surely, they aren't going to show up in this thread and admit they were wrong.

In any event, as an internet expert I say: You should only worry about clickbait...if you can't comprehend "The Boy Who Called Wolf". Most of us learned that story in Pre-K. Some of us learned it later. In all cases? What happens to the boy?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

At some point, regardless of topic, people are going to realize that this is the new business model of MOST of the media.

And, at another point, somebody is going to realize that credibility/time + patience...is the ultimate winning business model for the media(there are multiple, recent, glaring examples of the opposite = Tax Returns).

In the meantime, we are going to be caught between the Howard Cosell/Newspaper nostalgics, the Jim Rome "hard hitters"(otherwise known as the assistant manager club), ESPN pretending it is 60 Minutes(while 60 minutes itself is fighting to stay relevant), and the Walter Football AdSense click-model clowns.

Most of the media, in general, can't find their way out of this morass. Talent always wins in the end. The trouble is obvious: not much actual talent out there. In the last 5 years media people/their culture have been blitzkrieged. The ONLY reason they haven't been killed/captured is..."tradition, mostly".

Rick Jeanneret proves this over and over. In my travels, I have heard all sorts of hockey announcers. If Rick is 1...the closest is 3...and the worst is ~25.

Wait! He's hardly, "the media" right? Wrong. Ask yourself: If the same exact info was given to Jeanneret, or LaCanafora, about women's softball, and they both wrote a blurb about it, who would you believe? Who would do a better job, objectively, of conferring that info to us?

Be honest, with us, and yourself.

But what about "Access"? Meaning: what if the GM of the Bills refuses to talk to you? What if the entire NFL refuses to talk to you? Again: talent always wins. Most days I don't get "access". In fact, most of the time, some client staff go out of their way to deny me the facts/lie. I don't ask for "access", and I don't need it.

Last time: Talent always wins.

Yeah... sorry it's late and I didn't read all that. I'm sure it was good and I'll review in the morning.mmmm.. K?

Edited by 145B4IDIE

I haven't read the whole thread but it seems silly to me to speculate that McDermott is bringing in new personnel guys.

DW hires and manages the personnel guys. McD hires and manages the coaches.

McD bringing in his personnel guy makes as much sense as Dough hiring assistant coaches.

If you are the Coach do you want someone else picking players for you? I don't

Ah I just saw that he wrote it, everyone please disregard!

Yeah, thank goodness we disregarded it when he said it looked like Tyrod and the Bills would re-negotiate a new deal.

Enough with the "attack the messenger" stuff. Seems like the most common form of argument on the internet sometimes and certainly on Bills boards, the whole "I don't like the idea, so let's attack the writer" nonsense. That's probably the status quo ... if you like what's reported, you discuss it and believe it, and if you don't like it, you blame the media.

I personally wouldn't mind a bit if Whaley loses power. He doesn't seem to me to have done enough to still be here.

Edited by Thurman#1

Yeah... sorry it's late and I didn't read all that. I'm sure it was good and I'll review in the morning.mmmm.. K?

Great...too busy(edit: sleepy, high, drunk...pr desperate to distract from the content) to read...but not too busy to comment. Right.

How about I dare you to find fault with a single word, using reason, mmm..K? Of course, when it's not "too late". Take your time.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

YES PLEASE !! Be the best draft ever if Whaley gets purged, best news I've heard all day :w00t::w00t:

that's 3 coaches Whaley isn't seeing eye to eye on, makes me wonder why he can't get along with these guys. one coach is normal, two is suspect, 3 is it's Whaley.

If McDermott has all this power what difference does it make which errand boy gets the title of GM?

because the GM still picks the players and look how many players from recent drafts are gone.

YES PLEASE !! Be the best draft ever if Whaley gets purged, best news I've heard all day :w00t: :w00t:that's 3 coaches Whaley isn't seeing eye to eye on, makes me wonder why he can't get along with these guys. one coach is normal, two is suspect, 3 is it's Whaley.

because the GM still picks the players and look how many players from recent drafts are gone.

15 of 20 players from the last 3 drafts are still on the team, without looking at other teams id say thats probably about the norm

Doesn't make any sense if Whaley hired McDermott that they are having problems. If Pegula hired McDermott against Whaley's wishes then Whaley needs to be fired or quit. If Pegula hired McDermott against Whaley's wishes then our ownership hasn't improved at all.

I'd be shocked if 3 months after we hire McDermott their is already drama in the front office. All they've done to this point is player review and re sign and sign players. What could they be possibly butting heads about already? I think this is just media non sense

I think this Whaley not getting along with coaches stuff gets entirely overblown. Looking back it seems that Marrone was a control freak who wanted say so on everything (should be interesting to see him under Coughlin). Then with Ryan other than the Cassel thing Whaley went out and got pretty much anyone Ryan wanted. And it looks like the same thing is going on with McDermott. That is actually working with your coach, not against him.

Whaley is not a gifted public speaker, and one can argue whether or not that's a pre-requisite for being a good GM. I posted back in my BBMB days that I have met two different Nobel prize winners during my career, both brilliant, and both lousy public speakers. Whaley does not have to be a brilliant public speaker to be an effective GM. I don't know the last time I heard from or saw an interview with Ozzie in Baltimore yet he's a great GM. Making McDermott the voice in public makes sense if it's a skill set he has that the GM doesn't.

Whaley certainly is on thin ice. But that should properly be judged by the team's performance on the field and not his performance in a press conference.

Oh, and this all comes back to speculation by LaCanfora, and this is his trade in stock now. He seemingly just randomly throws crap against a wall, because he doesn't have to have any accountability apparently to his management if he's wrong. Must be nice to have a job where you can just throw around and/or make up rumors and get paid for it. Wonder where I can apply.

I'd be shocked if 3 months after we hire McDermott their is already drama in the front office. All they've done to this point is player review and re sign and sign players. What could they be possibly butting heads about already? I think this is just media non sense

Preach brother - agree 100%

The purpose of the media is to report facts to the public. The Buffalo sports media tries to make mountains of not even mole hills, flat ground.