Changes coming to Bills front office?

There were a couple reports out there that Whaley had less to do with it than you're implying.

From what we heard it sounds like Whaley set up the board for the Pegulas. It was also reported that Whaley wanted to wait and interview Keith Butler from Pittsburgh but the Pegulas were in love with McDermott.

Sounds like the 2013 draft. Whaley has some input but fans have no idea how much authority...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Whaley needs to go if McD isn't high on working with him. Dysfunctional Head Coach GM relationships never seem to work out. I think he has been decent as a GM overall, above average drafter hit or miss in free agency. So losing him isn't a dramatic loss as I think having him there with a head coach that doesn't trust him just won't work for anybody.

Saw the CBS Sports link and immediately knew this was tied to LaConjecture and his hard-on for creating a rift in the current administration that most likely isnt there.

This was Whaley's HC search. You mean to tell me he brought someone in who he won't get along with? Highly doubtful.

This is LaConjecture trying to save face after his numerous other reports that were proven false once reality settled in.

In other news, lol at the team in Washington. They certainly deserve it.

I'll also add to this that there are few reporters I respect more than Wawrow

There were a couple reports out there that Whaley had less to do with it than you're implying.

Links? If that's the case, then Whaley should walk away from this disaster of a franchise that is seemingly on its second incompetent owner.

I'll also add to this that there are few reporters I respect more than Wawrow

Links? If that's the case, then Whaley should walk away from this disaster of a franchise that is seemingly on its second incompetent owner.

:lol: :lol:

If only we weren't doomed to stay.

I can't bring anything up now, I think it may have been some insider info. Some of the usual suspects posted that the Pegulas really liked McD and Monos did as well and worked to convince Whaley, IIRC. I can try to bring it up.

Edited by FireChan

I think Whaley is fine as a pro personnel director. He has the eye for it. He doesn't seem to have the acumen for the GM job.

I hate to sound like a Whaley fanboy as this comment really has more to do with how poorly this franchise is run, but it's tough to judge his GM acumen when he's never been given the true role of GM. Put the man in charge and get out of his way. He knows way more about building/running a team than the Pegulas (but thats not saying much).

I can't bring anything up now, I think it may have been some insider info. Some of the usual suspects posted that the Pegulas really liked McD and Monos did as well and worked to convince Whaley, IIRC. I can try to bring it up.

Which is what also what supposedly happened during the Rex hire. And Whaley was right back then and the Pegulas were wrong. Whaley should just quit and I have said this for a while. If he has to be the GM and have all this interference that prevents him from doing the job what is the point?

I hate to sound like a Whaley fanboy as this comment really has more to do with how poorly this franchise is run, but it's tough to judge his GM acumen when he's never been given the true role of GM. Put the man in charge and get out of his way. He knows way more about building/running a team than the Pegulas (but thats not saying much).

Not a fan of Whaley but I am even LESS enthused with letting McDermott run the ship. Coaches are not good GM's. They don't think long term and you need a GM to do that.

This Taylor business is part of that.

Yeah, I kinda remember what you're talking about.

Jeez Louise...

I mean, the Pegulas are hockey people and they cant even get that right. They were "surprised and impressed" when they bought the Bills at what a higher level a team in a major league like the NFL functions at when compared to even the best teams in a lowly league like the NHL. Let that sink in...: When they showed up and saw how the Bills were run, they were impressed. So much so they made Russ Brandon President of Everything. That's how screwed we are here.

And now they are going to call the shots and have the HC answer to them and not the GM.

Gonna be a long 17 more years of no playoffs.

Anyone worth a damn should get away from this team as soon as they can.

Edited by DrDareustein

Which is what also what supposedly happened during the Rex hire. And Whaley was right back then and the Pegulas were wrong. Whaley should just quit and I have said this for a while. If he has to be the GM and have all this interference that prevents him from doing the job what is the point?

Yeah, I kinda remember what you're talking about.

Jeez Louise...

I mean, the Pegulas are hockey people and they cant even get that right. They were "surprised and impressed" when the bought the Bills at what a higher level a team in a major league like the NFL functions at when compared to even the best teams in a lowly league like the NFL. Let that sink in. When they showed up and saw how the Bills were run, they were impressed. So much so they made Russ Brandon President of Everything. That's how screwed we are here.

And now they are going to call the shots and have the HC answer to them and not the GM.

Gonna be a long 17 more years of no playoffs.

Anyone worth a damn should get away from this team as soon as they can.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191557-the-new-jw-tweets-111-questions-on-whaley-tt/?p=4213302

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191557-the-new-jw-tweets-111-questions-on-whaley-tt/?p=4213345

Keep in mind these posts jive with the OP by JW:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191557-the-new-jw-tweets-111-questions-on-whaley-tt/?p=4213247

I think we're seeing it play out exactly like Wawrow insinuated. Monos and Pegula wanted McD. Whaley was finishing up the scouting year and is gone.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191557-the-new-jw-tweets-111-questions-on-whaley-tt/?p=4213302

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191557-the-new-jw-tweets-111-questions-on-whaley-tt/?p=4213345

Keep in mind these posts jive with the OP by JW:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191557-the-new-jw-tweets-111-questions-on-whaley-tt/?p=4213247

I think we're seeing it play out exactly like Wawrow insinuated. Monos and Pegula wanted McD. Whaley was finishing up the scouting year and is gone.

I will say, if they replace Whaley with Monos I won't totally hate it. I think Monos is the next hot GM hire in the league.

The problem is, if the structure stays the same, Monos is setup to fail just like Whaley. So it wont matter anyways. We'll ruin GMs just like we ruin QBs with our complete lack of direction, leadership, and continuity.

Edited by DrDareustein

And I apologize to those if I've broken the rules of conduct here in my response to Promo here.

But his nonesensical attacks are just that.

I believe I deserve the opportunity to defend myself, given what Promo has posted in his various stalking methods, first on twitter and now bringing that discussion to here.

I'll take whatever discipline you see fit.

But I'll promise to merely ignore Promo after this last exchange.

It's futile dealing with him.

jw

IMO, you've been the most reliable reporter around, especially when it came to the sale of the Bills. You don't rant, rave and complain like others covering the Bills [sullivan, Gleason]. You have nothing to apologize about. Thanks for everything you do covering the Bills.

Is this true? I have to believe that since 2013 post draft he has been running the show. Please elaborate on what I'm missing?

I will say, if they replace Whaley with Monos I won't totally hate it. I think Monos is the next hot GM hire in the league.

The problem is, if the structure stays the same, Monos is setup to fail just like Whaley. So it wont matter anyways. We'll ruin GMs just like we ruin QBs with our complete lack of direction, leadership, and continuity.

May I direct you to #4 on this list.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191059-i-was-right-or-fc-for-czar-the-topic/

Is this true? I have to believe that since 2013 post draft he has been running the show. Please elaborate on what I'm missing?

He didnt want or hire Rex. Rex was forced on him.

Then, that HC answers directly to the owners in parallel with the GM so there is no real chain of accountability. Just the owners who cant be fired.

This makes Whaley basically a scout with a higher title. He did a good job at getting Marrone's staff "their type of players", he does a good job of getting Rex's staff "their type of players", we keep changing coaches and coordinators (and therefore scheme) EVERY YEAR so of course the GM cant ever build a team.

Dude has been sandbagged at every turn. Like I said, no chain of accountability makes it a sinking ship. It will never succeed that way. No business or team can.

He didnt want or hire Rex. Rex was forced on him.

Then, that HC answers directly to the owners in parallel with the GM so there is no real chain of accountability. Just the owners who cant be fired.

This makes Whaley basically a scout with a higher title. He did a good job at getting Marrone's staff "their type of players", he does a good job of getting Rex's staff "their type of players", we keep changing coaches and coordinators (and therefore scheme) EVERY YEAR so of course the GM cant ever build a team.

Dude has been sandbagged at every turn. Like I said, no chain of accountability makes it a sinking ship. It will never succeed that way. No business or team can.

Absolutely. The Ragland trade was all Rex last year. You can't run a team by letting a coach dictate high draft choices.

lol, classic FC quoting his big welcome back i told you so thread. :thumbsup::lol:

you bag on too many people though to be able to agree with completely. coming in after a disappointing season and firing shots at everyone is kinda bush league.

but yeah, I am not impressed by the Pegulas so far. And being at OBD on a regular basis, it doesnt seem like it'll be getting any better.

its like the Pegulas dont know basic leadership skills such as "hire the smartest people and get out of their way". Oh well. At least we have a team? :sick:

Absolutely. The Ragland trade was all Rex last year. You can't run a team by letting a coach dictate high draft choices.

There was a thread or a post recently that pointed out we only have like 2 guys from the 2013 and 2014 drafts left on our team. And they were blaming Whaley.

But completely neglected to take into account we have changed Defensive schemes EVERY YEAR since he became GM. Of course there is going to be turn over when you are trying to replace 3-4 guys with 4-3 guys, zone guys with man guys, and then change back the next year...

Again, Bills ruin GMs like they ruin QBs. and it all comes down to this teams horrible history with how it hires and handles Head Coaches.

I'll weigh in on saying Bills upper management was and remains unhappy with Whaley's lack of clarity during the press conference in what was considered a train-wreck from league-wide NFL people.

It was an absolute embarrassment, and the only reason both Terry and Kim Pegula were made available to the AP and WGR not long after the news conference ended.

I did make a request to speak to both Terry and Kim immediately after the news conference because much clarity was needed.

The fact that Terry called me within 15 minutes of my text was surprising. It was also an indication that the Bills went to Plan B and felt there was need for much clarification after Whaley revealed nothing and raised more question than answers.

It was a low point in Whaley's tenure, and much of it brought upon himself because he declined interview requests throughout the season except to speak briefly on Percy Harvin's signing, during which the questions were strictly limited to Percy.

Any astute manager should know that there was plenty of tension built up over such a lengthy period of time involving a variety of issues -- Rex's future and eventual firing/Lynn's promotion/Tyrod's benching/Tyrod's long-term future that it would take a skilled person to address those issues head on. Instead, we the media and Bills fans by extension were fed a lot of "I'm not privy to that" answers.

Well, if Whaley wasn't privy to these things, then it begged Bucky's question as to what in fact he does.

Whaley was put out there to speak for ownership.

That ownership had to scramble to the rescue reflected poorly on the GM.

No, GMs aren't judged on press conference's alone.

In this case, the exception was the rule, leading to many inside 1BillsDrive to question Whaley's ability.

jw

Hey John,

Many on the old Bills message board shared the same viewpoint as you and were ridiculed. Glad my thoughts werent misguided and were closer to the truth than a ton of the chain gang that hung around and wttempted to defend someone who couldnt get a few words out of his mouth if his job literally depended upon it. Thanks for the scoop. I enjoy

Your questions during the conferences, thats what journalism is for otherwise its just another john/chris show.

lol, classic FC quoting his big welcome back i told you so thread. :thumbsup::lol:

you bag on too many people though to be able to agree with completely. coming in after a disappointing season and firing shots at everyone is kinda bush league.

but yeah, I am not impressed by the Pegulas so far. And being at OBD on a regular basis, it doesnt seem like it'll be getting any better.

its like the Pegulas dont know basic leadership skills such as "hire the smartest people and get out of their way". Oh well. At least we have a team? :sick:

That post was half tongue in cheek.

I've had a bad feeling about Pegs since the Freddy cutting. I thought there was more going on behind the scenes.

I don't have any better inside information than anyone else but when someone told me what they overheard McDermott saying after he was hired I wanted to see where this would go.

If McDermott is the winner in the power struggle the Pegulas need to change their organizational structure immediately. Hire a real GM that doesn't get forced to do short term jobs for the coach.

One voice, Whaley doesn't like public speaking.

That is all that can be made of this imo.

BINGO

PLUS, the way the media seems to want to attack him - remove the possibility.

If they try to treat Coach McD like they did Anthony they will have another thing coming.

I think the Pegulas have had it up to their ears with this media ****.