Changes coming to Bills front office?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there's this. Wawrow thinks it means something...

The Bills aren't planning to have a pre-draft luncheon w/GM Doug Whaley and scouts this year. Sean McDermott will answer questions on Apr 20

I have no clue what your point is in relationship to what I stated. My point was simply that at this time of year an organization can't pluck another front office person from another organization and add it to its front office for conflict of interest reasons. I cited the Redskin situation with their fired GM. Your response makes absolutely no sense to what I brought up.

Edited by JohnC

I haven't read the whole thread but it seems silly to me to speculate that McDermott is bringing in new personnel guys.

DW hires and manages the personnel guys. McD hires and manages the coaches.

McD bringing in his personnel guy makes as much sense as Dough hiring assistant coaches.

The news conference was not Scott's fault.

In fact, Pegula Sports and Entertainment chief spokesman Mark Preisler was also in attendance.

There was very little that could have been done to save Whaley from himself on that day.

Anyone interjecting from the BIlls side would've essentially been throwing fuel on this tire fire, in my opinion.

What's astounding is that I'm told that Whaley was prepped beforehand.

jw

Any idea how well Whaley was prepped? I ask bc if he was prepped well it's even more of a damning commentary on whaley.

I haven't read the whole thread but it seems silly to me to speculate that McDermott is bringing in new personnel guys.

DW hires and manages the personnel guys. McD hires and manages the coaches.

McD bringing in his personnel guy makes as much sense as Dough hiring assistant coaches.

McD has worked as a scout. If he brings in his own guys he becomes the de facto GM

Any idea how well Whaley was prepped? I ask bc if he was prepped well it's even more of a damning commentary on whaley.

i don't know but the guy responsible for prepping him has since been demoted to a desk in the basement aka "project work" and replaced

"Whatcha gonna do brutha..."

We're going through growing pains with the Pegula's as they're still trying to figure out how to be successful sports owners. They got duped by Wrecks, so now they're infatuated with McDermott.

For TPegs to put all his eggs in McDermotts basket already is a mistake IMO. What if McDermott turns out to be terrible. It puts the Bills back further than they already are. For as smart as I think TPegs is he sure seems to make some bone headed emotional knee jerk quick decisions on things. Then again this might be a TPegs home run, who knows. Edited by old school

or that the new VP of Communications put together a plan of action to better communicate with the media and it included using McD instead of Whaley in press conferences ...

Quite possible.

I'm not saying Whaley didn't have a very poor press conference.

But I don't think that's what will determine his fate.

If Pegs is happy with his performance outside of the press conferences and public appearances, he'll stay, if not he's gone. But if he's happy with the performance outside of the press conferences it's pretty easy to fill that role.

I've seen a few execs and CEOs that were terrible public speakers. They didn't get removed from their roles due to screwing up talking with the press. If they were doing a good job, the company just found someone else to be the spokesman. It wasn't that big of a deal. I've also seen a few execs that were great with the press and in public, who were let go, because their portion of the business want performing.

But it's totally possible Whaley is fired as well. The press conference thing just doesn't really sway me one way or another. The inability to build a winner and the constant missing of the playoffs would be the actual reason to fire him.

No. Terry Pegula is the Alpha. McD and Whaley are equals. And that is the problem.

TP needs to get out of the way. Make his GM (whoever that is) the boss, and institute a real pecking order.

Good point. Still DM v SMcD in decision making fight... WINNER SMcD.

There a pack of "pit bulls" on this forum that once they get something in their craw they will not stop shaking til it is dead.

They go from one victim to the next. EJ, REX, Whaley, Brandon, who will be the next?

Pitiful but it will not stop because it is just their nature.

be vewry wawry

Oh my I think I could prep a number of my 30 or so 20-25 year old workers to handle that much more efficient and intellectually.

of course you are full aware of Whaleys speech impediment and what difficulties it might incur ?

I hate to sound like a Whaley fanboy as this comment really has more to do with how poorly this franchise is run, but it's tough to judge his GM acumen when he's never been given the true role of GM. Put the man in charge and get out of his way. He knows way more about building/running a team than the Pegulas (but thats not saying much).

+1

And Rex. What happened to him again?

What happened to Whaley after this? Anybody can sit there and say "boy if that franchise doesn't start winning somebody is going to be on the hotseat!!!"

He even goes as far as to say Rex isn't on the hotseat, but Whaley is because Rex "just got there". Such in-depth analysis :rolleyes:

The guy has so many hot takes, he is bound to be right at some point, and in your case, he wasn't even completely right.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/inside-football-whos-likely-out-whos-next-for-14-flopping-franchises/

BUF.pngBuffalo Bills The team looks uglier by the week and the dysfunction between the coaching staff and front office has only grown. Owner Terry Pegula, like Blank, came very close to firing his GM a year ago and there are only more people he trusts telling him now to do just that. Rex Ryan hasn't exactly endeared himself, either, but he just got there and inherited Whaley and he reports directly to the owner and not to the GM. Sure, Rex may be just nine months or so from being firmly on the hot seat himself if the team continues to regress amid selfish and undisciplined play, but Whaley is in the middle of things right now and there isn't a lot for him to hang his hat on right now with some bold moves now really under scrutiny. Pegula has been dabbling with hiring a football czar to oversee the GM for a while anyway, and that may come to pass this winter as well in conjunction with a new general manager. The staggered starts to some of these regimes -- coach inherits an imperiled GM, or vice versa -- rarely seem to work well, or for long.

Edited by What a Tuel