Changes coming to Bills front office?

These are lame excuses.

The QB position is the most important by far in the game. Take one every year until you have a proven franchise guy.

And since when is Cousins considered lowering the bar? The guys pretty damn good...

It is just that simple! That is why all of the other teams in the NFL have their Franchise QBs and we don't - WAIT..

Did you even READ what Promo wrote? GEEZ

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What?

Treat Anthony?

We felt bad Lynn was forced into a position of answering questions that needed to be asked but couldn't directly answer because 1) he was prepping for a game. 2) the decisions were made above his head. 3) he was in the running for the job.

Silly to blame the media for the front-office's own failures.

jw

John:

I think the Lynn press conference was a disaster. Whaley's not so much; I just don't think it's something Whaley is good at for whatever reason. But while I have you here, I wonder if you could comment on the propensity of some in your profession to make a living off simply reporting rumors etc. like we see with this LaCanfora article. Is this typical nowadays of what we are to expect of journalism? I like your comments in this thread because you tell us you don't report unless you have fact. Why is it you do that but others apparently do not?

It's not just Whaley. Monos and a group of scouts are compiling the reports and draft board. What would happen is McDermott would get to pull off more "Ragland" deals where he grabs players to fit his scheme and disregards other things actual NFL GM's worry about.

If this happens think Levy-Jauron for what our next few drafts will look like.

This is the third HC that Whaley has had a problem with. He is the main problem.

What?

Treat Anthony?

We felt bad Lynn was forced into a position of answering questions that needed to be asked but couldn't directly answer because 1) he was prepping for a game. 2) the decisions were made above his head. 3) he was in the running for the job.

jw

John:

I think the Lynn press conference was a disaster. Whaley's not so much; I just don't think it's something Whaley is good at for whatever reason. But while I have you here, I wonder if you could comment on the propensity of some in your profession to make a living off simply reporting rumors etc. like we see with this LaCanfora article. Is this typical nowadays of what we are to expect of journalism? I like your comments in this thread because you tell us you don't report unless you have fact. Why is it you do that but others apparently do not?

It would be great if you answered the question in his post...why do others in your profession just tweet/write rumors instead of developing sources and posting when they are confident in something (like you usually do)...isnt that what being a reporter/writer actually is?

How are you supposed to know who to pick if you are busy coaching?

Who is McD actually been coaching for the past 3 months? Besides that Whaley can't do McD's job but McD could do Whaley's job. He would just need a suit to handle contracts. Probably the essence of what goes on in New England. Yoda tells the front office who he wants and they have to figure out how to get the deal done. No way does the FO tell Belichick who he is playing. Sorry. Try again PTR.

It would be great if you answered the question in his post...why do others in your profession just tweet/write rumors instead of developing sources and posting when they are confident in something (like you usually do)...isnt that what being a reporter/writer actually is?

As much as I dislike most of the modern media, it's incredibly unfair to expect JW to speak for or answer for the hacks in his profession. All JW can control is himself, and he does a great job. If you want answers, I'm sure it wouldnt take much Googling to find an email address for LaCanfora.

This is the third HC that Whaley has had a problem with. He is the main problem.

What problem? Or are you buying LaConjecture's BS gossip piece?

Also, he never had a problem with Rex. He worked his butt off to dismantle and rebuild to whatever Rex needed. Rex failed himself.

What?

Treat Anthony?

jw

YES, the way they treated Anthony Lynn. It is referred to as "Shooting the messanger". Only in this case the people the media really wanted to HANG were not there so they took out their anger on a fill-in OC who just days before was thrust into the interim HC job.

By GOD they (media) were gunning for someone and it did not matter to them that they attacked an innocent pawn (AL).

Who is McD actually been coaching for the past 3 months? Besides that Whaley can't do McD's job but McD could do Whaley's job. He would just need a suit to handle contracts. Probably the essence of what goes on in New England. Yoda tells the front office who he wants and they have to figure out how to get the deal done. No way does the FO tell Belichick who he is playing. Sorry. Try again PTR.

McD is Belichick?

I mean, I'm hopeful for the guy, and he seems like an upstanding dude, but... what has he been the HC of that makes everyone want to hand him the keys to the entire franchise and dump the entire team responsibility on a first-time HC?

We havent seen how he makes in-game decisions or manages a clock yet. He hasnt even thrown a single review flag yet. But sure, let's clean out the FO and give him everyone's title.

What?

Treat Anthony?

jw

I agree with your last sentence entirely.

I would only quibble about some of those questions Anthony was asked. It is my understanding the media was apprised of the nature of AL's presser as being that of the weekly coach's presser and I feel the questions should have been appropriate for that venue. I fully understand the need for the media to find out what happened in the front office vis a vis RR's firing, but why did some insist on putting Lynn on the spot, anyway? Especially after being informed of the nature of the presser? Seems it is just as silly to have expected Lynn to provide answers to questions the media knew wasn't in his purview to answer. Just as silly as anyone blaming the media for front office failures.

I think there is more to being a GM than you realize.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Awesome take.

Did you even READ what I wrote? GEEZ

Some folks think that wishing hard enough makes things happen. Did the Bills miss out on some franchise QB's? You bet. Are there franchise QB's waiting in every draft? Not on your life. Seriously, look at 2009-2011. Tell me you'd be happy with any QB from those classes. Also I've been part of this board (in it's various incarnations) since 1998. No one would be satisfied with a Cousins or Dalton for long. We'd still be pining for our Rodgers or Brady.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

McD is Belichick?

I mean, I'm hopeful for the guy, and he seems like an upstanding dude, but... what has he been the HC of that makes everyone want to hand him the keys to the entire franchise and dump the entire team responsibility on a first-time HC?

We havent seen how he makes in-game decisions or manages a clock yet. He hasnt even thrown a single review flag yet. But sure, let's clean out the FO and give him everyone's title.

McDermott is a Jauron type of coach for me until proven otherwise. Plays a simple, conservative scheme that depends on high end defensive talent. Will do everything he can to squeeze 7 wins out of a weak roster.

Please don't make the coach the GM.

As much as I dislike most of the modern media, it's incredibly unfair to expect JW to speak for or answer for the hacks in his profession. All JW can control is himself, and he does a great job. If you want answers, I'm sure it wouldnt take much Googling to find an email address for LaCanfora.

What problem? Or are you buying LaConjecture's BS gossip piece?

Also, he never had a problem with Rex. He worked his butt off to dismantle and rebuild to whatever Rex needed. Rex failed himself.

Im not asking JW to answer for his media hack buddies...I am hoping he can shed some light on his feelings for the poor state of his profession. If someone asked me about teachers today I would be more than happy to give my feelings on the state of teaching today.

Guest NeckBeard

Since McD, no matter how much I had thought he was the best available HC candidate this year, has zero results as a HC in the NFL, I sincerely hope that the organization hasn't pinned its hopes on an unproven HC and TBD FO hire. If there will truly be a shakeup as the result of the McD hire, then that seems like the textbook definition of boldness.

Now, I am not personally a DW hater. I don't think he's awesome, but I also don't think he's terrible. I would like to see how (hopefully) competent coaching, continuity in HC year over year, and hopefully not gambling on draft day plays out for this organization for a change.

But of course, for the tanking crowd, wholesale changes in the FO based on a new HC would certainly give us a good barometer of how it looks in 2017 when you start over.

McDermott making the final decisions on the roster and who to draft does not necessarily mean we will be in a perpetual win-now mode, as some are suggesting. Many teams operate in this way in which the HC is the final decision maker. If anything, this is a good thing in that they are breaking away from the committee approach they seemed to be touting the last few years.

More than anything, the Bills have lacked managerial leadership, organizational vision, and a plan of action. It's obvious Whaley did not have one. Maybe it's unfair to hold that against him as it may have not been a job requirement when he was promoted to the GM position, but we are here now.

McDermott making the final decisions on the roster and who to draft does not necessarily mean we will be in a perpetual win-now mode, as some are suggesting. Many teams operate in this way in which the HC is the final decision maker. If anything, this is a good thing in that they are breaking away from the committee approach they seemed to be touting the last few years.

More than anything, the Bills have lacked managerial leadership, organizational vision, and a plan of action. It's obvious Whaley did not have one. Maybe it's unfair to hold that against him as it may have not been a job requirement when he was promoted to the GM position, but we are here now.

Go ahead name these teams. And Patriots don't count as Belichick had broken the mold of coaches in win now mode.

The Ravens, Steelers, Packers don't follow that model. Bills recipe is one for losing.

The other 10% were Doug Whaley...

When those two Nobel winners did speak, did anyone ask "how did these guys ever win a Nobel prize??", or is there any story anywhere that ,after Ozzie has spoken, where those he was speaking to were prompted by his performance in the speech to ask him "so what is it that you actually do"?

No, of course not. So, no, a GM does not have to be "brilliant public speaker"--that doesn't even need to be stated. But he does have to give the public the perception that he is in control of whatever it is he does. He was not some "company man" saying what the boss wants him to say (Pegula was off camera cringing no doubt--I'm sure Kim was).

He is not a bright guy. Bring in a brighter guy.

Whaley claims that he didn't even suspect where Rex stood with Pegula minutes before Pegula sacked him. So...

It was essentially the end of the season. When do most GMs get fired?

The question is not whether he is a bright guy or not. The question is whether he is good at his job as a GM, and the "brightness" that is needed for that position. And to me being able to speak in public is not a prerequisite for that. Judging him on what a GM does I would say he has done some good things and some bad. He is on the hot seat to get this team into the playoffs, as it should be. But at some point we have to have some continuity in the coaching and GM staffs so that as a team they can decide on a philosophy and commit to it so you can target the right kinds of guys to draft, get in FA, etc.

As the pats de facto GM, BB sets the standard for being (on purpose or by nature) a "poor" public speaker. But no one has ever had to ask him what his job was.

You're missing the point, it seems. It's not just that Whaley was fumbling for words or mumbling. It's that he said things that did not make sense, stretched credibility or were obvious lies.

Also, I have judged him by what he has done as GM. That plus the public embarrassment of his boss and his organization is why he should have been fired.

The Pegulas are not sophisticated at all in regard to building/staffing an NFL team. They don't need a clueless corporate yes man guiding them.

Next year's class is a good class. I would take the top 3 QBs in that class right now over any of the QBs from this year's draft

How? We again won't be close enough to get any of them without trading 3 #1's. We should have cut Taylor and a couple others and started a rebuild process