Vlad Ducasse

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a start. He graded out 67.0 pass protect by PFF (granted that was at guard). .. for context Riley Reiff graded out at 68.7 pass protect .

Haven't seen the contract details yet.. but if we are getting him for $4 mil or less per year I'm fine with this move

It's a start. He graded out 67.0 pass protect by PFF (granted that was at guard). .. for context Riley Reiff graded out at 68.7 pass protect .

Haven't seen the contract details yet.. but if we are getting him for $4 mil or less per year I'm fine with this move

he is depth though?

Generally, he's been bad everywhere.

So WTF is this even about?

i have read not one good word about him , except maybe familiarity. and that would be worth Vet min for me.

Is Buddy Nix still whispering sweet NOTHINGS in Whale's ear

he is depth though?

i have read not one good word about him , except maybe familiarity. and that would be worth Vet min for me.

Honestly, this is the first FA period in a while where I don't understand the approach.

I get not making splash signings, but there's volume and quality to be had that the team is simply choosing to pass on in favor of FBs, STs, and 7th-at-best OLman.

Confusing to say the least.

For all the talk about the running game, Buffalo's pass blocking last season was mediocre. TT doesn't have the greatest pocket presence, but his mobility bailed out the OL numerous times. And still, Taylor was sacked a NFL worst 42 times.

It wouldn't surprise me if they know being better in the passing game is imperative in Dennison's offense.

he is depth though?

Your guess is as good as mine as to why we signed him. Unless it's a straight up minimum deal (which would be surprising on FA day 1), it's a waste of money. Seems like we went hard after Wagner, didn't get him, then scrambled to get the other guy Castillo knew. He was a street free agent from Sept 3rd to Oct 11 last year.

Honestly, this is the first FA period in a while where I don't understand the approach.

I get not making splash signings, but there's volume and quality to be had that the team is simply choosing to pass on in favor of FBs, STs, and 7th-at-best OLman.

I realize we All need to wait and see.

But shoot. This is starting up oddly at best.

Was Jerome Felton someone who needed replacing by TWO FBs and a hybrid FB?RB in Mike Tolbert?

Is Gillislee gone too?

I realize we All need to wait and see.

But shoot. This is starting up oddly at best.

Was Jerome Felton someone who needed replacing by TWO FBs and a hybrid FB?RB in Mike Tolbert?

Is Gillislee gone too?

The problem, for me, is that the chosen priorities do not bode well for fielding a competitive roster.

Agree with this, which makes all the "Lets wait and see the whole picture" infuriating. This organization has earned no benefit of the doubt. We have major holes on the roster and all we are doing is signing luxury positions.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why we signed him. Unless it's a straight up minimum deal (which would be surprising on FA day 1), it's a waste of money. Seems like we went hard after Wagner, didn't get him, then scrambled to get the other guy Castillo knew. He was a street free agent from Sept 3rd to Oct 11 last year.

Wagner VS Ducasse is one heck of an extreme !

i find it hard to believe Bills were ever really interested in Rick Wagner at that price and position

The problem, for me, is that the chosen priorities do not bode well for fielding a competitive roster.

Again, its a new Coaching staff who sounded organized.

I promise to keep my hands down until this whole event settles out

Hearing you talk this way is a huge red flag. Danger, Will Robinson!

People are funny pissing and moaning about comp picks. Does it really f***ing matter THAT much? Do you think the people in ANY NFL FO are sitting there wondering if they are gonna lose comp picks trying to better their roster? If these players equal a better roster than we had last year from top to bottom then f**k a comp pick in 2018.

Yes. Every single consistent winner.

Yes. Every single consistent winner.

Again, we have entirely too many open roster spots this year. They have to sign people. Simple as. All of the supposed "GM's" on here are b****ing about it like it is avoidable. It's not.

I can't believe people are worried about comp picks.

During the regular season, if Sammy decides to throw the ball into the stands after every TD, I'll expect half of you to worry that we'll run out of footballs.

Well played!!!

Chuckle all you want, a PFF grade can be imperfect, however it's at least a grade that can be more accurate than your average fan's opinion because it does not take in account age, if you like him, or not, size of contract, and or what round they were drafted in, the penalty they took last week, etc

Ducasse's PFF rating, in the high 50's, suggest he is a starting NFL Guard, but a every low level one at that, and if the grade is anything close to his skill level, looks like he is a depth guard signing, with maybe the ability to compete for the RT starting job, keeping in mind he's not much of an upgrade over Mills, and anyone else who played it the last couple of years

So not a FA signing to get overly excited about, unless he pulls a Zach Brown/Lorax, except of course now he's a Buffalo Bill, so folks will say he's better than he really is, until they see him play anyway....

jc

Chuckle all you want, a PFF grade can be imperfect, however it's at least a grade that can be more accurate than your average fan's opinion because it does not take in account age, if you like him, or not, size of contract, and or what round they were drafted in, the penalty they took last week, etc

Ducasse's PFF rating, in the high 50's, suggest he is a starting NFL Guard, but a every low level one at that, and if the grade is anything close to his skill level, looks like he is a depth guard signing, with maybe the ability to compete for the RT starting job, keeping in mind he's not much of an upgrade over Mills, and anyone else who played it the last couple of years

So not a FA signing to get overly excited about, unless he pulls a Zach Brown/Lorax, except of course now he's a Buffalo Bill, so folks will say he's better than he really is, until they see him play anyway....

jc

PFF is tough. It's likely the best source you will find for assessment of individual players, but be very clear, it's not pro scouts giving the assessments, it's amateur football fans willing to donate what's essentially a full time job's worth of time to the website. Literally anyone can sign up to write for them if you are willing to donate the time. So you have a untrained eye who is not in the huddle or meeting rooms writing up players they very likely have preconceived notions about. It's a better source than anything on ESPN, especially on relatively obscure players, but it does require a massive heap of salt in using the assessment.

Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora 3m3 minutes ago

More

Ravens are losing another free agent - guard Vlad Ducasse has a 3 year agreement with the Bills

Seriously?! if whaley thinks this guy is our RT he needs to be fired.

Vlad the impaler would be a good nickname for him

that would be disrespecting the name

Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora 3m3 minutes ago

More

Ravens are losing another free agent - guard Vlad Ducasse has a 3 year agreement with the Bills

He was an absolutely horrible player on the Jets in the games I watched. A friend of mine is a huge Jet Fan and would always complain about him. I am gonna call him up and get more info.

EDIT: From my Jet Fan friend:

"He was a 2nd round project/reach by Rex Ryan who never developed. He is literally as strong as a horse (expletive deleted). A few times a year he will throw someone around or pancake a tackle but athletic ends beat him like a rented mule."

He sounds like another Chris Williams type Whaley special.

Edited by Bill from NYC

He was an absolutely horrible player on the Jets in the games I watched. A friend of mine is a huge Jet Fan and would always complain about him. I am gonna call him up and get more info.

"He was a 2nd round project/reach by Rex Ryan who never developed. He is literally as strong as a horse (expletive deleted). A few times a year he will throw someone around or pancake a tackle but athletic ends beat him like a rented mule."

Oh he's worse than Chris Williams. Williams was a smart dude with back issues, his body just couldn't hold up. Ducasse is a mentally and physically soft tub of goo. He's one of the least impressive OL specimens I've ever seen.

Chris Williams was Whaley's worst FA acquisition ever. He was signed to START.

Ducasse ain't that bad.

Edited by FireChan

Ducasse is an interesting signing, versatile dude who can play several positions. Here is how many games he started and how many sacks he gave up...

2010 - 2 games, 0 starts - 0 sacks

2011 - 16 games, 1 start - 0.5 sacks

2012 - 16 games, 0 starts - 1.25 sacks

2013 - 16 games, 4 starts - 2 sacks

2014 - 13 games, 6 starts - 3.5 sacks

2015 - 16 games, 11 starts - 2.25 sacks

2016 - 10 games, 8 starts - 1.5 sacks

2016 was by far his best year, granted I don't have stats for pressures given up or anything on rushing yards. Still, this may be a better pickup than given credit for.

If Cyrus is viewed as a LT only, I wouldn't be shocked to see a trade.

Ducasse is an interesting signing, versatile dude who can play several positions. Here is how many games he started and how many sacks he gave up...

2010 - 2 games, 0 starts - 0 sacks

2011 - 16 games, 1 start - 0.5 sacks

2012 - 16 games, 0 starts - 1.25 sacks

2013 - 16 games, 4 starts - 2 sacks

2014 - 13 games, 6 starts - 3.5 sacks

2015 - 16 games, 11 starts - 2.25 sacks

2016 - 10 games, 8 starts - 1.5 sacks

2016 was by far his best year, granted I don't have stats for pressures given up or anything on rushing yards. Still, this may be a better pickup than given credit for.

If Cyrus is viewed as a LT only, I wouldn't be shocked to see a trade.

I do hate when folks bring in data. Just spoils things.

I think he can teach and help with zone blocking concepts. He might be decent rotation or as a 3rd tackle to move the pile.

I am not sure what folks wanted here. A Rick Wagner? Who likely is overpaid. Bad times to need O line men via FA or Draft, especially RT.

BTW they resigned Mills for low end starter money

I do hate when folks bring in data. Just spoils things.

I think he can teach and help with zone blocking concepts. He might be decent rotation or as a 3rd tackle to move the pile.

I am not sure what folks wanted here. A Rick Wagner? Who likely is overpaid. Bad times to need O line men via FA or Draft, especially RT.

BTW they resigned Mills for low end starter money

Have we heard anything saying he's a RT? Sal yesterday tweeted that Ryan Groy may also play into the RT battle.