Tyrod's new restructured contract - the details

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts are 25-0 when they give up less than 20 points under Luck, but he's played 60 games. If he couldn't win games when teams put up points...he'd be well below 500, and the Colts would have never made the playoffs.

The QB needs to do more...especially in the air late in games and in crucial moments.

Actually, Luck has a losing record just like Taylor when the opponent scores 20 or more points.

NO! NO! NO! Tyrod sucks! Whaley must go! Pro Bowls mean nothing! Bills are a dysfunctional chasm filled with dumpster fires!!

You don't know what you are talking about....

You are absolutely right. Promo is the leader of Negative Nancies with BillsVet, joesixpack, TheTruthHurts, PearlHowardman, FeartheLosing, WEO, etc always follow his lead on bashing of front office.

Here is a not so great stat.... Since 2015, Taylor is 2-10 vs teams that made the playoffs that season, 12-4 vs teams that didn't make the playoffs that season. :(

Teams have stats not players.

You are absolutely right. Promo is the leader of Negative Nancies with BillsVet, joesixpack, TheTruthHurts, PearlHowardman, FeartheLosing, WEO, etc always follow his lead on bashing of front office.

Teams have stats not players.

They are called the Nattering Nabobs of Negativity. They work hard for that distinction, please do not remove that honor from them

This move makes a lot of sense, and I can't stand Tyrod.

First, it would have been nuts to just let him walk.

By signing him at a reduced rate, almost half off, he's now a steal in the trade market.

You gotta believe 12 GM's are looking at how they can save a bunch of money by trading for TT

and getting all that cap space you guys are talking about.

Looks like the Sportrac new numbers are up. As I read it. 5 year deal, about $3.8m bonus each year, $12m - $14 each year after in salary

Honestly, I don't understand why he would sign that, No respect on that

As far as team friendly that posters say was something he wanted, then where is Dareus on that?

@viccarucci

Under restructured deal w #Bills, Tyrod Taylor gets $7M signing bonus. Cap value for '17 goes from $16M to just under $10M.

Tyrod Taylor's restructured deal w #Bills covers 5 years total. After the first 2 years, it becomes a year-to-year agreement.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/08/bills-restructure-taylor-contract-keep-team/

@sharpfootball

Tyrod Taylor now carries the cheapest starting vet-QB cap hit in the NFL (assuming RGIII done in CLE). Nice restructure, a page from NE.

I will hold my opinion until we get some hard numbers, but much like the previous deal - I really want to see what dead cap it costs us if and when we move on.

I love the lower cap hit in 2017, but it was never the cap hit that bothered me with the old contract - it was the dead cap money if we moved on.

If some of that upfront money moved to later in the deal and we can step away without having paid it so it never hits the cap - then KUDOS to Whaley and the team.

I anticipated that TT would be a bridge and on the old deal - I thought we had 3 years minimum before the dead cap made sense to part ways. We will see, but I think if they can get it to a year by year thing with less dead money - I would be thrilled.

I am really starting to look forward to 2017 - A new HC and a New Offense that I think will fit our team better and a return to the defense that we dominated a few years ago. I know the schedule has a chance to be brutal, but I am loving this.

Looks like the Sportrac new numbers are up. As I read it. 5 year deal, about $3.8m bonus each year, $12m - $14 each year after in salary

As far as team friendly that posters say was something he wanted, then where is Dareus on that?

We don't know the offers he was hearing We know the agents and gms talk

Probably found out he would make a little more in FA and just decided to get the most he could in the next 2 years

That's the old deal with the $15.5m option bonus yearly cap hit.

NO! NO! NO! Tyrod sucks! Whaley must go! Pro Bowls mean nothing! Bills are a dysfunctional chasm filled with dumpster fires!!

17 years no playoffs...to think they are above criticism is just ludicrous.17 years with no playoffs is dysfunctional defined..in a league designed for parity!

And very few people said Tyrod sucks, they said, as I do, you will never win a Super Bowl with him. Not sure what this restructure is 100% yet, but if it allows the Bills to continue to look for the future QB, i am all for it! If they stop looking for a real QB, i dont care what the cap hit, it is the absolute wrong move.

You don't know what you are talking about....

guessing from your post count, you don't know PTR. In his mind, Bills/Sabres do no wrong, anyone who criticises them either one are fools, the last 17 years have only been building for a glorious run, and the Sabres are the model NHL team.

@jeremyWGR

Hearing TTs *guarantee* on restructure is 15.5 mil - Total.

Restructure a function of market not meeting option, & wanting to come back.

man, i was way off. I thought TT would get at least $30M guarantee on open market. Maybe Osweiller really did scare people off

Edited by plenzmd1

Nicely done by Whaley. It allows Cardale to develop, even allows us to draft a QB this year and gives us a couple of seasons before real decisions need to be made. Tyrod has his warts, but no one who is going to be better than him in week 1 is available to us.

100% true.

I do hope that QB is made a priority in the draft.

If WGR is accurate can walk away from deal after this year with only 8M in dead money on. pre June 1 cut. That is a great deal for Bills.

Way to use your leverage and get out from. Bad contract.

If these numbers are correct, I don't see how anyone could really be mad about keeping TT.

Piecing together Vic Carucci's info and Jeremy White's info on the specifics of the Tyrod restructure, I'm pretty sure I know what it looks like:

What we know:

$7M signing bonus

$10M cap hit in '17

$15.5M guaranteed

5 year deal

year to year deal after '18 w/ no guarantees

can earn up to $30M in '17 & '18

$8M in dead money if cut after '17

What I surmise:

'17 - $7M signing bonus amortized over 5 yrs, $8.5M base salary. Cap hit of $9.9M ($8.5 base + $1.4M amortized SB)

'18 - $14-$14.5M base. Cap hit of $15.9M ($14.5M base + $1.4M amortized SB)

'19 - funny money, nothing guaranteed

'20 - funny money, no guarantees

'21 - funny money, no guarantees

So, if I'm right, and I think I am or very close, the Bills did a great job.

Dropped the '17 cap hit by $6M

Kept the '18 cap hit the same

Saved $12M in cash in year 1

Nothing is guaranteed after this year

Huge win for the Bills, and actually makes Tyrod's contract a very palatable and perhaps trade-able asset into the future.

Edited by Estro

Isn't that his old contract with the option bonus.

Unless I'm missing something that doesn't look like the restructure, but maybe I'm missing it.

Yeah that definitely is not the updated contract

I hope Woods goes elsewhere

So what's the total in guaranteed money?

What are the details after year 2?

Anyone know the details?

I'm loving that Taylor is thinking about winning rather than money. In the end, he's still set for life. I'm wondering Woods is next in line to re-sign.

@salsports

Don't have exact numbers yet but told Tyrod Taylor's guaranteed $ was roughly cut in half with new deal. Will make about $14.5M total in '17

....also noteworthy: as I understand right now, after 2 years, if Bills were to move on from Taylor, dead money would be about $5 million

Edited by YoloinOhio

No new numbers up yet that I can find. My guess is that the cap hit is getting kicked down the road in the form of a larger dead cap if or when the Bills move on. Anyways, Taylor is definitely the Bills qb for a couple years and so I will get behind that and hope for the best. If the defense improves significantly the Bills could do some damage.

No new numbers up yet that I can find. My guess is that the cap hit is getting kicked down the road in the form of a larger dead cap if or when the Bills move on. Anyways, Taylor is definitely the Bills qb for a couple years and so I will get behind that and hope for the best. If the defense improves significantly the Bills could do some damage.

Bills would only have an $8 million cap hit next year if they release him and then nothing guaranteed after that, so it's pretty team friendly...actually remarkably team friendly

Edited by matter2003

Bills would only have an $8 million cap hit next year if they release him and then nothing guaranteed after that, so it's pretty team friendly...actually remarkably team friendly

Yep, I figure he is the qb for at least two years because of the 8 mil dead cap next year. With the decision to keep him, this is much better than the original extension. Now the Bills need serious wr and secondary help.

Cap hit isn't getting kicked down the road. Tyrod took a massive pay cut.

He was due $27.5M in year 1 and $40.5M over 2 yrs under the old deal

He is now due $14.5M in year 1 and $30M over 2 years. He basically took a $13M paycut this year.

This was a massive win for the Bills, and seems to indicate there wasn't much of a market for Tyrod outside of Buffalo.......you don't take that type of paycut unless there's no where else to turn. I always thought reports of other teams ready to make a run at Tyrod were being overblown.

I never hated Tyrod, but I did hate his old deal. It had way too much cash for a middling QB. His new deal is much more in line with his value, so I'm okay with it. Still don't like the player, but I do like the value of the contract now.

Cap hit isn't getting kicked down the road. Tyrod took a massive pay cut.

He was due $27.5M in year 1 and $40.5M over 2 yrs under the old deal

He is now due $14.5M in year 1 and $30M over 2 years. He basically took a $13M paycut this year.

This was a massive win for the Bills, and seems to indicate there wasn't much of a market for Tyrod outside of Buffalo.......you don't take that type of paycut unless there's no where else to turn. I always thought reports of other teams ready to make a run at Tyrod were being overblown.

I never hated Tyrod, but I did hate his old deal. It had way too much cash for a middling QB. His new deal is much more in line with his value, so I'm okay with it. Still don't like the player, but I do like the value of the contract now.

My thoughts exactly. Cap hit is very, very low for a starting QB + a year to year agreement after year 3 - really great job all around.

Edited by Strethor

Incredible move by the Bills! Kudos all around.

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!! (draft Mahomes or Watson)

I definitely still see them drafting a QB high - but signing Taylor means they don't have to reach in the 1st.

My guess is they go for an impact player at another position at 10, and see who drops to them in the 2nd. It's possible either Mahomes or Watson will still be there (not likely w/ Watson, but you really never know).

@salsports

Don't have exact numbers yet but told Tyrod Taylor's guaranteed $ was roughly cut in half with new deal. Will make about $14.5M total in '17

....also noteworthy: as I understand right now, after 2 years, if Bills were to move on from Taylor, dead money would be about $5 million

We'll see the full details soon. From what's being reported, this seems like a great deal for the Bills. Give the FO their credit.

Or him and his agent took feelers for his value and it wasn't what they thought, so they took what they thought was the best they were going to do.

It's funny how many were so sure Taylor would make as much if not more on the open market, but he let the Bills leave him twisting in the wind while deciding his fate on a lesser deal. That tells me he wasn't as in demand as many thought (including you). He wouldn't have passed up his 40 million guaranteed over the next two years for this if he thought he could do close to or better than that...you're in denial if you believe otherwise.

I said I would be fine with Taylor on a bridge deal that paid him around 10 mil for two seasons, and now he's right in line with that, so at least he's being paid accordingly now...near the bottom for starting QB'S, which he is.

I'm a bit better with this outcome because there is no way he was worth what he was due under his other deal, but I still believe this puts Taylor and the new coaching staff in the cross hairs right away. Things could go south really fast, but this is what they decided to go with, so time to hope for the best.

How many times does it have to be explained to you?

There are no feelers. Thats tampering. Agents credentials can get revoked and teams get penalized money and draft picks. Quit making up some random clutter.

I'm not a fan of Tyrod Taylor (Those on the old BBMB know this), he's now a Buffalo Bill for at least 2 years so I will not bash him, I wish him the best here and hope he brings us back to glory. My only fear is that Whaley doesn't try and draft a QB because of this move, other than that I want Taylor to get us to the playoffs now.... GO BILLS! BTW that contract is much, much more reasonable.

I'm not a fan of Tyrod Taylor (Those on the old BBMB know this), he's now a Buffalo Bill for at least 2 years so I will not bash him, I wish him the best here and hope he brings us back to glory. My only fear is that Whaley doesn't try and draft a QB because of this move, other than that I want Taylor to get us to the playoffs now.... GO BILLS! BTW that contract is much, much more reasonable.

I like Tyrod but I don't at all think that they shouldn't draft a QB at 10 if they like him. I think what a lot of fans and writers and pundits mistake, however, is when a team doesn't draft a QB at, say, 10, that it means they don't care about the position or they think Tyrod in this case is a franchise guy because they didn't take a QB, etc.

The Bills scouts, like every team, grade players differently. If they loved Kizer but not Watson, and Kizer was gone and a guy they didn't think would be available is, they will take that guy. But it doesn't at all mean they didn't want a QB at 10 or that they believe Tyrod is great, or that there is some kind of disconnect in the organization, 9 times out of 10 it will mean the one guy they liked wasn't there and a different guy at a different position they love was.

I'm not excusing the Bills for not spending more high picks on QBs either. We clearly have screwed up for decades. The point is you don't take a guy you don't think is going to be a franchise player in the first round at QB because you need a QB, but more importantly just because they didn't take one there cannot be extrapolated to they weren't looking or think Tyrod is a franchise QB.