Say a prayer for Danny, my son....

Nervous Guy

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This past Friday afternoon, my son Danny lost a long battle with addiction. My heart has a gigantic hole in it that is only getting bigger as the hours go by. Danny was (as some of you that met him) a kind, funny and gregarious boy...he never lost those qualities. He tried to beat his demons over the past 6 years, and was temporarily successful for months at a time...once over a year! He never wanted that life and hated it, he never gave up...My family and I never gave up on him...we loved him so much. Friday I got the call that no parent ever wants to get. He will be coming home for the last time later this week. Not the homecoming We ever wanted.

He was a life long rabid Bills fan. Proud to be a Bills fan. Wore his Bills colors in the heart of Dolphin territory...we texted each other all game long, shared the victories and the defeats...planned to come this this years tailgate. Now that's all gone.

My plea to you is to have compassion for people in his position, they don't want to be there...they hate it, are ashamed of it...and sometimes just can't escape it. I miss my son and best buddy...I'd gladly change places with him, he was so young so much to live for. Please say a prayer for Danny to finally be at peace.

attachicon.gifIMG_6079.JPG

Nothing I can say but God bless, so sorry to hear this.

NG,

I will pray for your best buddy and I will pray for you to have courage, strength, and comfort in this impossibly difficult time. Can't imagine the pain you are in and I know that God wants to comfort you in that pain. Hang in there man!

I am so very sorry- I cant understand what your going thru howeve I can emphasize- I am an RN on a cardiac floor at the Buffalo VA Medical Center. The addiction to drugs and alcohol has no boundaries- it has ripped through our veteran population. On a 24 bed unit at any one time 2-3 beds are for withdrawal and heart arrythmia monitoring- It is so very sad. I hope through this very tough time you and your family can find some peace.

You're absolutely right it is the call no parents ever want to hear. I am so sorry for you and your family. We will pray for you and your son to be at peace.

Unfortunately I know what you are going through because the same thing happened to my son in 2008. Those addictive substances are absolutely evil in the way they destroy lives.

Their is a national of organization called "The Compassionate Friends" that have get togethers where grieving parents can offer each other support.

They should have a place local to you. It helped my wife tremendously. I encourage you to join if you are able. Thoughts, prayers and hope for peace to you and your family.

https://www.compassionatefriends.org/

My eyes are filled with tears as I type this.

I am so so sorry for your loss and my heart aches for you and your family.

RIP Danny.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this very difficult time

But they're Canadian tears, so they only count for, like, 75% of American tears.

But they're Canadian tears, so they only count for, like, 75% of American tears.

You Sir are both Brave and kind.^

Only you could bring a moment of levity to such a weighted experience for us here.

All of us are feeling for our friend NG. And his Family.

Pinning was the right thing to do. I hope we leave this up for as long as it takes !

One takeaway i get from all my introspections is this. You never know a Man till you have walked in his shoes. Keep that in mind when you meet someone like NG.

Danny seems to have been lucky to have such a caring and loving Father, and best Buddy. Sometimes the Stars that shine the brightest...

wishing Peace to All

This past Friday afternoon, my son Danny lost a long battle with addiction. My heart has a gigantic hole in it that is only getting bigger as the hours go by. Danny was (as some of you that met him) a kind, funny and gregarious boy...he never lost those qualities. He tried to beat his demons over the past 6 years, and was temporarily successful for months at a time...once over a year! He never wanted that life and hated it, he never gave up...My family and I never gave up on him...we loved him so much. Friday I got the call that no parent ever wants to get. He will be coming home for the last time later this week. Not the homecoming We ever wanted.

He was a life long rabid Bills fan. Proud to be a Bills fan. Wore his Bills colors in the heart of Dolphin territory...we texted each other all game long, shared the victories and the defeats...planned to come this this years tailgate. Now that's all gone.

My plea to you is to have compassion for people in his position, they don't want to be there...they hate it, are ashamed of it...and sometimes just can't escape it. I miss my son and best buddy...I'd gladly change places with him, he was so young so much to live for. Please say a prayer for Danny to finally be at peace.

IMG_6079.JPG

So very sorry my friend. May peace and strength find you and your family's hearts.

NG..when you have time to think about a way that this TBD part of your family can memoralize Danny in some way let us know. Maybe its a donation to a special fund for an organization that helped him in some way.

So many of us on the board have had our lives impacted by a personal battle or a loved one's battle with addiction. I have paid off a crack dealer, raided a heroine user hotel room and other things to rescue a stepson who thankfully seems to be winning his day to day battle.

We have proven over the years that this community is more family than a bunch of goof balls arguing about the team they dearly love...if you think of a tangible way to recognize the memory of your son, I would welcome the opportunity to participate.

NG..when you have time to think about a way that this TBD part of your family can memoralize Danny in some way let us know. Maybe its a donation to a special fund for an organization that helped him in some way.

So many of us on the board have had our lives impacted by a personal battle or a loved one's battle with addiction. I have paid off a crack dealer, raided a heroine user hotel room and other things to rescue a stepson who thankfully seems to be winning his day to day battle.

We have proven over the years that this community is more family than a bunch of goof balls arguing about the team they dearly love...if you think of a tangible way to recognize the memory of your son, I would welcome the opportunity to participate.

1) Let's not buy a paver.

2) It's HEROIN. No "e." "Heroin" is a drug. "Heroine" is Xena, Warrior Princess.

3) More seriously,

On NG's behalf, and Danny's, I will share that donations can be made in Danny's name to https://www.shatterproof.org/.

NG's obviously "otherwise occupied" right now, and I'm respectful of his privacy. But since I know people are interested, I will take responsibility myself, without his permission, for sharing that much.

On NG's behalf, and Danny's, I will share that donations can be made in Danny's name to https://www.shatterproof.org/.

NG's obviously "otherwise occupied" right now, and I'm respectful of his privacy. But since I know people are interested, I will take responsibility myself, without his permission, for sharing that much.

Tom, can you set up the memorial in Danny's' name, I think they need someone to create the memorial first.

1) Let's not buy a paver.

2) It's HEROIN. No "e." "Heroin" is a drug. "Heroine" is Xena, Warrior Princess.

3) More seriously,

How do you know I didn't rescue him from Joan of Arc?....sorry about the typo--

Thanks for the information. You are a kind-hearted and decent human being and very good friend (that's the worst insult I can give you)...

Edited by JoeF

Damn, so sorry. Prayers for you and your family.

It's not a choice, nor is it a moral failing. I hope more people can come to accept and respond with compassion rather than judgement.

I spent all four of our Super Bowls in the grips of addiction. I was sleeping off a 3-day binge during the Comeback over the Oilers (game was blacked-out from TV and my brother cranked the radio as loud as he could to try and keep me awake for it, and because he was angry he couldn't enjoy the game with me)

I got out of my first detox, Sister's Hospital, on the day of our first SB vs Cowboys. Needless to say, I wasn't ready to quit and went right out and used, missing the game.

I was/is die-hard fan and that's why I can remember clearly when I missed, or wasn't totally "there" for Bills games.

I left Buffalo, moved across the state, in the Spring of '94 in order to seek treatment away from my hometown. I didn't "get it" right away but ultimately was able to stay clean with help from others and have been clean since early '95. I don't take it for granted. I spend a good portion of my time helping addicts.

What I know is that I didn't do anything special, nothing more than other people do who try to stay clean...I don't know why I'm still here and others aren't. I don't take it for granted.

If anyone has issues with drugs/alcohol and wants to talk feel free to DM me.