Schefter: Bills to give new HC more power within org

Bills plan to give new head coach more power within organziation: http://es.pn/2j5CpNe

9:55 AM - 8 Jan 2017

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18430457/buffalo-bills-plan-give-new-head-coach-more-power-organization

The Buffalo Bills are planning to give their new head coach more power within the organization, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Bills, who finished the season at 7-9, are seeking a replacement for Rex Ryan, who was fired on Dec. 27 after less than two seasons as Buffalo's coach.

Bills owner Terry Pegula told The Associated Press on Monday that he made "an executive decision" to fire Ryan, affirming comments made earlier in the day by GM Doug Whaley.

Whaley had denied having involvement in Ryan's firing, saying that Ryan asked to speak privately with Pegula at the end of their weekly conference call. Pegula informed Ryan during that private conversation that he would not return beyond this season, and Ryan recommended that Anthony Lynn take over as the Bills' interim coach for Week 17.

The Bills formally interviewed Lynn for the full-time head-coaching job on Thursday. They also interviewed Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin on Saturday and plan to interview Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard on Sunday.

Buffalo also has reached out to Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich, a former quarterback for the Bills.

Though Pegula was planning to wait until after the season to evaluate Ryan's job, he said he probably would've come to the same conclusion.

Pegula said he based his decision on his own observations, input he has received from his front-office staff over the course of the season and on previous discussions he had with Ryan regarding the team's struggles.

"[Whaley] had input on the basis of conversations throughout the year, what the problems were,'' Pegula said. "But did Doug ever say, 'Are we firing our coach, are we keeping our coach?' We never had that conversation. I took it upon myself to tell Rex on the basis of conversations about the games and the aftermath of certain games that, hey, things aren't going well."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's weird that nothing in the article supports the article's title. Am I missing it? "Here's what happened with the Rex firing and here's what's going on with the coaching search" would've been more accurate. Other than the misleading title, it's a good synopsis of what we've already heard.

It's weird that nothing in the article supports the article's title. Am I missing it? "Here's what happened with the Rex firing and here's what's going on with the coaching search" would've been more accurate. Other than the misleading title, it's a good synopsis of what we've already heard.

It's not an article, it's basically an ongoing coaching search blog. Add the latest click bait at the top and move the old stuff down. Pretty common format lately for sports "reporting".

Much like everything else that has come out lately, this just doesn't make sense. Why would you decide to give a coach more power within the organization before even knowing who you are hiring for your coach?

Edited by Acantha

The magic words are "might, may, and could."

Talk about a misleading headline....

Joe Banner ‏@JoeBanner13 2m2 minutes ago

Joe Banner Retweeted Ben Volin

It doesn't appear that the Bills have really studied what leads to success in the NFL.

not sure what he means by that. The following teams have coaches who control the 53:

Miami

Atlanta

New England

Seattle

KC

Houston

All playoff teams.

Btw Joe Banner couldn't be less credible speaking on this subject. Multiple GM and HC candidates refused to interview with Cleveland when he was there because of how he demands so much power. And he has been unemployed since, just likes to tweet.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I saw nothing in that article that supports the title.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of the coaches the Bills are interviewing. Usually, the coaches who get full control over the roster are the more experienced ones in the league - Belichick, Carroll etc.

If we're bringing in Coughlin, it would make sense. If we're bringing in a wet-behind-the-ears guy with no HC experience and not much in the way of coordinator experience, it really doesn't make sense. I also don't like it in the sense that it give Whaley an "out" - "it's not my fault, I was making roster moves I don't agree with at the HC behest".

If this is a "vote of no confidence" in Whaley as GM, just fire Whaley and bring in someone you and the coach do have confidence in.

That has to be the first thing that jumps out at you. Sure, Whaley has said he'd give more control, but I'd expect it would only be under circumstances that warranted it. (And what else is Whaley going to say? He's got to sound resonable, right?)

Talk about a misleading headline....

Joe Banner ‏@JoeBanner13 2m2 minutes ago

Joe Banner Retweeted Ben Volin

It doesn't appear that the Bills have really studied what leads to success in the NFL.

Joe Banner? Where are his professional NFL success stories? LOL

Who's next to weigh in on the Bills situation with their NFL wisdom, Richie Kotite?

Who's next to weigh in on the Bills situation with their NFL wisdom, Richie Kotite?

The NFL Insiders should be renamed "Guys who Got Fired From the NFL".

LOL

btw I was just providing twitter commentary...

an HC being able to choose the 53 is entirely acceptable if they haven't been in the league for like 5 minutes

This would point to someone like Coughlin who wouldn't take an interview with Whaley controlling the 53. More power will be more attractive to coaches like him or other coaches who wouldn't take an interview with us otherwise. No way Lynn gets that kind of power, it would need to be someone with experience to give up that much control

That statement makes no sense given the Bills current situation as well as the guys they are interviewing. Schefter is getting like the rest of them.

Yeah full control to a rookie like McDermott Mulrooney-rule would sound like a poor choice. Perhaps exceeding Billsy even.

I just saw some other people reference this. It looks like old news. It's referencing Whaley from a week ago saying he is willing to let a HC have control over the 53 depending on the guy.

Which he is not.

He would be if that guy is Pete Carroll. Or Bellichick. He's not going to with any of the guys available. That's just more crappy reporting.

the last coach reported to the owner...how much more power did he need? the last coach got darby, shaq and ragland in the first 3 rounds over 2 year period.

Maybe the GM will report to the HC now. lol.

Bills front office, ownership and the press working together well to make sure that no one knows what the Bills were doing, are doing or will do with respect to the head coach.

This would point to someone like Coughlin who wouldn't take an interview with Whaley controlling the 53. More power will be more attractive to coaches like him or other coaches who wouldn't take an interview with us otherwise. No way Lynn gets that kind of power, it would need to be someone with experience to give up that much control

Obviously

Whaley had already said himself that he was open to giving the HC control over the 53 man roster, which isn't common.

I don't understand why it wouldn't be...the coach is the one who is trying to put all the pieces together in his system...unless there is some overriding factor with the Salary Cap, I would think they should be the ones who have the final say.