Schefter: Bills to give new HC more power within org

What would Joe Banner know about that?

Best thing I remember about Joe Banner is how Bang!Cartoons ridiculed him so badly. It was hilarious. The cartoons aren't up on extreme skins any more. Too bad. Some were comedy gold.

Oh, and more conjecture by the "media".

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the military, if you have a fractured relationship with your senior chain of command, it really stunts the growth and efficiency of the unit even though you may have a stellar team beneath you. I don't think Pegula has any idea what a great leader looks like whatsoever... and is typical of the executives you see on Undercover Boss- most look clueless as to how their operations REALLY work!

I know about as much about the Bills as most fans. I'm here every day reading up.

I know about as much about leadership as most fans. I've read 100+ books on leadership/management, including several on sports leadership. I manage a successful multi-million dollar company with hundreds of employees. I even sometimes give classes on leadership.

(I also know as much about the military as most people). I was once an army captain who led 165 soldiers into combat. We kicked ass).

And for all that, I don't know enough to judge Terry Pegula's leadership. Half the stuff we read about him and the organization is wrong. And the half that I think might be right doesn't make me believe he's a poor leader.

Until I learn more, I reserve judgment.

Whaley went along with almost whatever RR wanted in terms of personnel during 2015 UFA spending spree and defense heavy 2016 draft

When the 2016 season tanked, it was RR who was apparently the only offending party. RR was at fault, but not totally.

This is a cautionary tale to working with Whaley: he'll play good and acquire the pieces you want at first. If it doesn't work, it's the HC's fault and OBD will start the blame game through the media.

If Whaley was half as concerned with building a roster as he is running down others to save his neck this team might make the playoffs.

Whaley went along with almost whatever RR wanted in terms of personnel during 2015 UFA spending spree and defense heavy 2016 draft

When the 2016 season tanked, it was RR who was apparently the only offending party. RR was at fault, but not totally.

This is a cautionary tale to working with Whaley: he'll play good and acquire the pieces you want at first. If it doesn't work, it's the HC's fault and OBD will start the blame game through the media.

If Whaley was half as concerned with building a roster as he is running down others to save his neck this team might make the playoffs.

Some of this is true everywhere:

* Coaches think it's the fault of the GM for not getting them enough talent to work with.

* GMs think the fault lies with the coaches for not get the best out of the roster.

I don't know if it's fair to give Whaley just one shot at picking a good HC but I'm guessing that's all he's got. Let's see what he does with it.

This choice will probably make or break Whaley's career. I'm guessing he's working the phones like crazy, getting as much inside information on each candidate as he can.

No matter who he picks, I expect Sully and at least half the posters here to criticize the decision. But maybe if we knew everything Whaley is learning, we'd make the same pick too.

Edited by hondo in seattle

the last coach reported to the owner...how much more power did he need? the last coach got darby, shaq and ragland in the first 3 rounds over 2 year period.

Good point. Bypassing the GM (or what passes for a GM under the current arrangement).

@SalSports

I'm told Bills GM Doug Whaley will maintain control of 53-man roster. Reports of new coach holding "more power" aren't entirely accurate....

@SalSports

New head coach will have complete control over hiring/firing staff and support staff, regardless if currently under contract...

.. but that is really no different than what would normally happen when a regime change takes place.

I know about as much about the Bills as most fans. I'm here every day reading up.

I know about as much about leadership as most fans. I've read 100+ books on leadership/management, including several on sports leadership. I manage a successful multi-million dollar company with hundreds of employees. I even sometimes give classes on leadership.

(I also know as much about the military as most people). I was once an army captain who led 165 soldiers into combat. We kicked ass).

And for all that, I don't know enough to judge Terry Pegula's leadership. Half the stuff we read about him and the organization is wrong. And the half that I think might be right doesn't make me believe he's a poor leader.

Thank you. Someone who has been "where the buck stops" is always it seems slower to pass judgment. Those that haven't been in that position are the fastest to judge.

This x (probably a lot of people besides me).

Most of us get our information entirely from a media that has some good, careful writers and some folks who are fast little twitter birds with few keeping score on how often correct. I don't see how anyone can judge yet.

I would personally prefer that they bring in football operations people in whom they could have faith and step back, but it's their business - they have a right to run it as they choose and to make some mistakes, too.

Lord knows it's not as though it's been a mistake-free juggernaut of success for the decade before they took over.

Best thing I remember about Joe Banner is how Bang!Cartoons ridiculed him so badly. It was hilarious. The cartoons aren't up on extreme skins any more. Too bad. Some were comedy gold.

Oh, and more conjecture by the "media".

Those Bang!Cartoons were awesome. I miss those, too.

Banner took over running the Browns and the first things he did were to bring back in Mike Lombardi, who was one of the most hated front office people in the history of the team, and end the team's partnership with the Cleveland Clinic. He is a train wreck and he desperately wants back in the NFL.