Schefter: Bills to give new HC more power within org

I don't understand why it wouldn't be...the coach is the one who is trying to put all the pieces together in his system...unless there is some overriding factor with the Salary Cap, I would think they should be the ones who have the final say.

No they shouldn't. They don't really have time to scout and look at film and go and see these guys in person.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they shouldn't. They don't really have time to scout and look at film and go and see these guys in person.

Huh? They are the ones who are conducting training camp and are seeing them in person. That comment makes no sense...control of the 53 means who gets cut after training camp, not who to draft.

Now if we are talking about waiver wire pickups after cuts then yeah I agree, but as far as deciding who makes the team coming out of training camp, it SHOULD be the coach.

Huh? They are the ones who are conducting training camp and are seeing them in person. That comment makes no sense...control of the 53 means who gets cut after training camp, not who to draft.

Now if we are talking about waiver wire pickups after cuts then yeah I agree, but as far as deciding who makes the team coming out of training camp, it SHOULD be the coach.

Control of the 53 is all of it. All of the guys brought in during the season. The Bills probably had 20 different players brought in that played. It includes the draft. Free agency. The HC works with the GM in training camp very closely to decide on the 53. But the HC isn't responsible for the salary cap, which is another substantial deciding factor in how that 53 in total is made up. Most teams have the GM decide the 53. Edited by Kelly the Dog

This would point to someone like Coughlin who wouldn't take an interview with Whaley controlling the 53. More power will be more attractive to coaches like him or other coaches who wouldn't take an interview with us otherwise. No way Lynn gets that kind of power, it would need to be someone with experience to give up that much control

Don't believe that hype. Coughlin wants to coach. The Bills haven't approached him and his agent is spinning. How many reports emerged a few weeks ago about how Coughlin liked the Bills gig? That was agent speak too. Now other candidates are being interviewed and he's not and the narrative changes... 👌then.

Full control of the 53 man roster + practice squad? Doesn't seem likely that the GM wouldn't have final say on draft picks/free agents.

I think you're right. Didn't Whaley at one point say/hint that he was open to relinquishing some power over the roster?

Ideally, I think the GM ought to be tasked with acquiring talent. That's his expertise.

I think the HC should then evaluate the players he has and figure out which ones produce the most in his scheme with the players around them.

I don't think the HC should have final say on draft picks or FAs though he ought to provide input. But he should have final say on the 53 man final roster, the players on the practice squad, and who dresses on Sunday. And maybe Whaley agrees with that.

So Whaley loses a little power there. But he gains in power because he now chooses the HC and I'm guessing the org chart will change so that the HC works for the GM, too.

It's weird that nothing in the article supports the article's title. Am I missing it? "Here's what happened with the Rex firing and here's what's going on with the coaching search" would've been more accurate. Other than the misleading title, it's a good synopsis of what we've already heard.

Yep. Weird.

Parcells wanted to buy his own groceries. BB does his own shopping. There is no clear leader at OBD, just a bunch of back stabbing, rumors, lies and innuendo. This little soap opera ain't over.

Whaley signed players. Rex decided who played. How do you envision a football leader would change that dynamic?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The HC is watching tape on every player available during the season to bring in guys to replace injured players? Whaley, despite his flaws, is fantastic at pro personnel scouting and bringing in no name guys who contribute.

There is more to control of the final 53 than cutting guys during camp.

Parcells wanted to buy his own groceries. BB does his own shopping.

Both of them proved they could cook first, then got control. No recent HC, or any we are looking at in interviews, has earned that right yet.

You can spend money on the fanciest groceries and best ingredients, but if the chef cant cook it will still taste like crap.

There's an emerging trend for you.

Id say the trend is more with the media. I'm looking for real substance but keep coming up empty handed.

I'd rather have no reports than fake reports. If reporters don't have anything real to say, then talk about something else. JMO.

This whole "control of the 53" issue is a red herring. Rex got the players he wanted -- Tyrod (Rex knew him years ago in Baltimore and claimed he wanted him for the Jets), Darby (Rex needed cover DB's), Harvin, S-Lawson, Ragland, Washington. Whaley didn't call substitutions or rotations for Rex. Rex got the coaches he wanted too, all 479 of them including Roman and Rob Ryan.

Marv didn't tell Polian who to draft. They talked about where the roster was short, like most coaches and GM's.

The Parcells cooking story sounds good but Parcells himself knew he wasn't scouting on Saturdays. What he meant was that he knew best where he needed help, not who was the best player. So if Parcells needed a safety he didn't want someone else drafting Joey Galloway @ WR -- which he was consulted on.

I'm so tired of being fed crap by so-called experts.

This whole "control of the 53" issue is a red herring. Rex got the players he wanted -- Tyrod (Rex knew him years ago in Baltimore and claimed he wanted him for the Jets), Darby (Rex needed cover DB's), Harvin, S-Lawson, Ragland, Washington. Whaley didn't call substitutions or rotations for Rex. Rex got the coaches he wanted too, all 479 of them including Roman and Rob Ryan.

Marv didn't tell Polian who to draft. They talked about where the roster was short, like most coaches and GM's.

The Parcells cooking story sounds good but Parcells himself knew he wasn't scouting on Saturdays. What he meant was that he knew best where he needed help, not who was the best player. So if Parcells needed a safety he didn't want someone else drafting Joey Galloway @ WR -- which he was consulted on.

I am tired of the Doug Whaley narrative.

Actually, that's precisely what a GM should do, work directly with his HC, sometimes let that HC talk him into player that fit into his systems, sometimes if all things are equal let your HC get tie breaker, sometimes get guys that just help the team that you think are best the HC doesn't know enough about, sometimes you can't get players you want or HC wants because of cap so you sign next best thing.

Clearly Whaley let Rex get IK, Douzeable, etc. Clearly Rex had a big hand in Tyrod and Harvin. But you also have to consider that in the first year, Whaley signs a big TE for Roman, trades Kiko for McCoy, re-signs Glenn, signs Felton, etc. All, except Darby, for Roman and the offense.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Whoever the Bills hire as coach, I hope that we do not have any devastating leaks to the media moments before important games that undermine both the coach and the team.

Actually, that's precisely what a GM should do, work directly with his HC, sometimes let that HC talk him into player that fit into his systems, sometimes if all things are equal let your HC get tie breaker, sometimes get guys that just help the team that you think are best the HC doesn't know enough about, sometimes you can't get players you want or HC wants because of cap so you sign next best thing.

Clearly Whaley let Rex get IK, Douzeable, etc. Clearly Rex had a big hand in Tyrod and Harvin. But you also have to consider that in the first year, Whaley signs a big TE for Roman, trades Kiko for McCoy, re-signs Glenn, signs Felton, etc. All, except Darby, for Roman and the offense.

If you want to read about what a good HC-GM relationship looks like. They support each other and it's in their best interest to succeed together.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000756365/article/the-story-behind-the-seahawks-13th-man

In the military, if you have a fractured relationship with your senior chain of command, it really stunts the growth and efficiency of the unit even though you may have a stellar team beneath you. I don't think Pegula has any idea what a great leader looks like whatsoever... and is typical of the executives you see on Undercover Boss- most look clueless as to how their operations REALLY work!

In the military, if you have a fractured relationship with your senior chain of command, it really stunts the growth and efficiency of the unit even though you may have a stellar team beneath you. I don't think Pegula has any idea what a great leader looks like whatsoever... and is typical of the executives you see on Undercover Boss- most look clueless as to how their operations REALLY work!

But there wasn't any problem with chain of command. At all. They laid out what it was immediately and followed it to the end, never wavering. Whaley worked well with Rex. Whaley just made a couple questionable choices that had zero to do with chain of command, and Rex made a boatload of terrible decisions that had zero to do with chain of command.

But there wasn't any problem with chain of command. At all. They laid out what it was immediately and followed it to the end, never wavering. Whaley worked well with Rex. Whaley just made a couple questionable choices that had zero to do with chain of command, and Rex made a boatload of terrible decisions that had zero to do with chain of command.

The events over the past two weeks PROVE there was a distinct problem between Pegula and Whaley and Lynn... so how could you miss that?

The events over the past two weeks PROVE there was a distinct problem between Pegula and Whaley and Lynn... so how could you miss that?

How? The Bills as a whole are a mess until proven otherwise. The chain of command you are talking about was very clear. This coming year they are changing it. But that was not a problem whatsoever during the season. There is no way an interim coach should have been in any meeting deciding on the future of the team in a business decision, which is obviously what that was. The Pegulas likely could have explained it different to Lynn after the fact, but that is not a chain of command issue either. There have been more recent reports that add to the idea that how the team explained what happened is exactly what happened.

There wasn't a problem defining the chain of command. That was pretty clear.

That doesn't mean there wasn't a problem with it, though.

There wasn't a problem defining the chain of command. That was pretty clear.

That doesn't mean there wasn't a problem with it, though.

What was the problem with it in your mind? Just curious. It wasn't strange to me in any way that a big name, huge personality Rex would want and also be granted permission to report directly to the owner. I don't see how that affects Whaley and Rex's relationship or ability to work together to field a team. If anything they had a very good working relationship. You can see it in the moves that Whaley made that were clearly Rex influenced. That's what you want. That's how the Seahawks do it.

How do you explain guys Like Reggie Bush, IK Enempali, Percy Harvin, Glenn Gronkowski if Rex didn't have control of the 53? Rex gonna wrecks. The coach and GM should have healthy debate over the 53 and the coach should stand by guys he thinks can contribute so I hope the next guy demands that. Rex kept guys around because they !@#$ed Kim K once upon a time or have the same last name as a certain *cheats player, !@#$in goofball.

Bills plan to give new head coach more power within organziation: http://es.pn/2j5CpNe

9:55 AM - 8 Jan 2017

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18430457/buffalo-bills-plan-give-new-head-coach-more-power-organization

The Buffalo Bills are planning to give their new head coach more power within the organization, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Bills, who finished the season at 7-9, are seeking a replacement for Rex Ryan, who was fired on Dec. 27 after less than two seasons as Buffalo's coach.

Bills owner Terry Pegula told The Associated Press on Monday that he made "an executive decision" to fire Ryan, affirming comments made earlier in the day by GM Doug Whaley.

Whaley had denied having involvement in Ryan's firing, saying that Ryan asked to speak privately with Pegula at the end of their weekly conference call. Pegula informed Ryan during that private conversation that he would not return beyond this season, and Ryan recommended that Anthony Lynn take over as the Bills' interim coach for Week 17.

The Bills formally interviewed Lynn for the full-time head-coaching job on Thursday. They also interviewed Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin on Saturday and plan to interview Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard on Sunday.

Buffalo also has reached out to Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich, a former quarterback for the Bills.

Though Pegula was planning to wait until after the season to evaluate Ryan's job, he said he probably would've come to the same conclusion.

Pegula said he based his decision on his own observations, input he has received from his front-office staff over the course of the season and on previous discussions he had with Ryan regarding the team's struggles.

"[Whaley] had input on the basis of conversations throughout the year, what the problems were,'' Pegula said. "But did Doug ever say, 'Are we firing our coach, are we keeping our coach?' We never had that conversation. I took it upon myself to tell Rex on the basis of conversations about the games and the aftermath of certain games that, hey, things aren't going well."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Where does it say that the new coach will have more power, which also means how much power did Rex have and how much or what kind of power would the new HC have?

It's weird that nothing in the article supports the article's title. Am I missing it? "Here's what happened with the Rex firing and here's what's going on with the coaching search" would've been more accurate. Other than the misleading title, it's a good synopsis of what we've already heard.

Lazy Journalism. Today on the Internet, anything goes!

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/818109162169204736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

From Tom Pelissero:

One note on #Bills search: I'm told they've left door open on coach getting 53-man roster control. Depends who it is.

i know that this is still "news" to some people because of the Whaley narrative that has been built. But Whaley said this himself a week ago and it was reported by Vic Carucci.

Q: Would your control of the 53-man roster remain intact with the new coach you hire?

A: Again, that will be talked about during the interview process and again, I’m all about whatever it takes for us to be winning.

Q: Does that mean you’re open to relinquishing that to a candidate?

A: As an open search I’m open to anything that will help us win.

As HC, Rex is in charge of both defense and offense so all the signings you mention are "for Rex", too. Don't forget drafts John Miller (G), Karlos, and Nick O'Leary and signs Cog and of course, signs Taylor and trades for Matt Cassel.

The thinking at the time was that the Bills had a #4 D and a poor offense, so upgrade the offense and we're going places and Rex was clearly part of that decision.

Q: Would your control of the 53-man roster remain intact with the new coach you hire?

A: Again, that will be talked about during the interview process and again, I’m all about whatever it takes for us to be winning.

Q: Does that mean you’re open to relinquishing that to a candidate?

A: As an open search I’m open to anything that will help us win.

Absolutely, and one of the interesting answers from that presser which was not much pursued in all the brou-haha about the non-news that Rex reported directly to Pegula and Pegula was the only one who could fire him and in fact did.

The thing is, why has this turned to "will give more control" by Schefter?

As HC, Rex is in charge of both defense and offense so all the signings you mention are "for Rex", too. Don't forget drafts John Miller (G), Karlos, and Nick O'Leary and signs Cog and of course, signs Taylor and trades for Matt Cassel.

The thinking at the time was that the Bills had a #4 D and a poor offense, so upgrade the offense and we're going places and Rex was clearly part of that decision.

Absolutely, and one of the interesting answers from that presser which was not much pursued in all the brou-haha about the non-news that Rex reported directly to Pegula and Pegula was the only one who could fire him and in fact did.

The thing is, why has this turned to "will give more control" by Schefter?

Because certain people have run with it as if it's gospel. Mission accomplished.

If for some reason this report proves to be accurate, I think this means the interviews are showing the guys who are willing to relinquish control - are not the sort of HCs the Bills are looking for and they've acquiesced to the idea such personnel control is a necessary evil to have the HC they truly desire.