Tom Coughlin don't like Doug Whaley.

Two-time Super Bowl-winning coach Tom Coughlin was thought to be a leading candidate to join the Bills either as a coach and/or someone who would oversee their football operations, but the Bills had yet to reach out to him as of Tuesday, The News learned. A source said it was unlikely Coughlin would interview with the team because of his discomfort with working with Whaley. Link http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/03/bills-scheduled-interview-mcdermott-wednesday/

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whaley deserves to finally hire his own coach. every other GM gets to pick their coach yet 4 years in and he's had 2 coaches he did not choose. if he doesn't want coughlin who cares. let him finally get to do his job without russ in there and the coaches falling in love with rex.

Whaley's position is weird though. Why have a co-GM/GM for almost 5 seasons and he hasn't been able to assist in hiring a coach?!

When he tried to assist his in depth questions put Pegula to sleep. At some point Terry needs to be called out for being the bumbling idiot that he is, money aside.

Two-time Super Bowl-winning coach Tom Coughlin was thought to be a leading candidate to join the Bills either as a coach and/or someone who would oversee their football operations, but the Bills had yet to reach out to him as of Tuesday, The News learned. A source said it was unlikely Coughlin would interview with the team because of his discomfort with working with Whaley. Link http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/03/bills-scheduled-interview-mcdermott-wednesday/

This comes as no surprise. Zero.

This is all BS. The media just keeps making **** up. The Bills are not interested in Tom Coughlin as coach. They never were. All of this mudslinging at Whaley is getting really old and the BN is not credible when it comes to this subject. They just plain don't like Whaley.

This is all BS. The media just keeps making **** up. The Bills are not interested in Tom Coughlin as coach. They never were. All of this mudslinging at Whaley is getting really old and the BN is not credible when it comes to this subject. They just plain don't like Whaley.

The problem with the News is They didn't like Marrone, they didn't like Rex and they don't like Terry. Bigger issues at play here I believe

Another of Vic's unnamed sources? Jeez, he is really knocking it our of the park at the moment. Why doesn't he stop speculating on the basis of unnamed sources and start doing some real journalism - you know... find credible sources and get them on the record?

Another of Vic's unnamed sources? Jeez, he is really knocking it our of the park at the moment. Why doesn't he stop speculating on the basis of unnamed sources and start doing some real journalism - you know... find credible sources and get them on the record?

Now it's VIC! All of TBN, Peter King, Mike Greenberg, Greg Bedard, Jason Cole, Laconforna, Bill Polian and on and on and everyone that speaks out or writes an article gets bashed on here.

Truth once again on this one was easy to glean with a little research. The Bills and Pegulas have not spoken with Tom Coughlin since 2015. There is not interest in him as a candidate. More BS

Edited by 34-78-83

Now it's VIC! All of TBN, Peter King, Mike Greenberg, Greg Bedard, Jason Cole, Laconforna, Bill Polian and on and on and everyone that speaks out or writes an article gets bashed on here.

That's not my point. My point is that Vic keeps publishing articles with unsubstantiated claims from "unnamed sources"..... in two days that has been "Lynn to withdraw from Bills search" which was followed by confirmation that he will interview today and now it is "Coughlin won't speak to the Bills" with nothing that suggests the Bills have even made contact with Coughlin.

I've been a journalist. I know how it works. When you publish a story based on "unnamed sources" it either means you don't have a source and are passing off your opinion as someone else's or it means you have someone who tells you something that they themselves have reason not to be attributed. If I publish a story one day based on unnamed sources that doesn't come to fruition I don't publish another one the next day without getting someone on the record - even if that means I hold the story a day.

When it comes to the Bills, especially with Whaley, you have to take everything they write with a big grain of salt. And this is very unfortunate because once a newspaper loses credibility, they lose a lot.

Edited by Saint Doug

Good, I don't like Coughlin........ Really does anyone want a 71 year old coach?????? Game passed him by..... Last 3 season 7-9, 7-9 & 6-10..... A career .531 coach (yes I get it 2 SB's). Giants this year without him 11-5 and a sub-par year from Eli.....

Edited by Billsfan1972

i was listening to the PFT radio show last night and Florio reported this as fact and bashed Whaley, crediting Vic for the report. Would be funny if they ended up meeting with Coughlin.

OMG you guys! I was on the bus this morning and Jenny totally gave Kelly a dirty look. I can't tell you who, but SOMEONE told me that it's because Jenny might have to work with Kelly on the big science project, but Jenny HATES Kelly. I hear Kelly plans on throwing her jello at Jenny at lunch today!

Good, I don't like Coughlin........ Really does anyone want a 71 year old coach?????? Game passed him by..... Last 3 season 7-9, 7-9 & 6-10..... A career .531 coach (yes I get it 2 SB's). Giants this year without him 11-5 and a sub-par year from Eli.....

And their division is tougher now too.

Interesting stuff by Dunne here (not about coughlin though). I'm sure many of the journalism experts here will discount his comments because sources are unnamed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TyDunne?ref_src=twsrc%5Eappleios%7Ctwcamp%5Esafari%7Ctwgr%5Eprofile

There is a difference between attributing to "one Bills player" and totally unattributed "unnamed source." If Carucci had said, for example, "an unnamed source within the League Office told us...." that adds weight to the story and the thing is he must know that as an experienced journalist of some years standing - so why did he not push his guy for that level of attribution?

i was listening to the PFT radio show last night and Florio reported this as fact and bashed Whaley, crediting Vic for the report. Would be funny if they ended up meeting with Coughlin.

And that is part of what I hate about the modern sports media business. It is the same over here.... guys start using one another as verified sources. It's just crap journalism. You learn about sources and stages of removal..... using a journalist reporting something from a totally non attributed "unnamed source" as a source for further dissemination is just bad journalism. There is no getting around that.

There is a difference between attributing to "one Bills player" and totally unattributed "unnamed source." If Carucci had said, for example, "an unnamed source within the League Office told us...." that adds weight to the story and the thing is he must know that as an experienced journalist of some years standing - so why did he not push his guy for that level of attribution?

And that is part of what I hate about the modern sports media business. It is the same over here.... guys start using one another as verified sources. It's just crap journalism. You learn about sources and stages of removal..... using a journalist reporting something from a totally non attributed "unnamed source" as a source for further dissemination is just bad journalism. There is no getting around that.

It's exactly why we have such a cacophony around One Bills Drive with national outlets such as ESPN, PFT, and MMQB sourcing stories from TBN writers as well as putting them on the air to increase the volume to deafening levels.

whaley deserves to finally hire his own coach. every other GM gets to pick their coach yet 4 years in and he's had 2 coaches he did not choose. if he doesn't want coughlin who cares. let him finally get to do his job without russ in there and the coaches falling in love with rex.

Amen

Gee, who would have thought that someone would not be comfortable working with Whaley?

I cannot imaging what could have happened with the way that the former coach was treated or with the way Whaley has conducted himself that would give Coughlin discomfort regarding working with Whaley.

Who could have predicted this?