Tom Coughlin don't like Doug Whaley.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two-time Super Bowl-winning coach Tom Coughlin was thought to be a leading candidate to join the Bills either as a coach and/or someone who would oversee their football operations, but the Bills had yet to reach out to him as of Tuesday, The News learned. A source said it was unlikely Coughlin would interview with the team because of his discomfort with working with Whaley. Link http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/03/bills-scheduled-interview-mcdermott-wednesday/

I really hate this "source" thing. Did the reporter talk to Coughlin? If no, did he talk to someone who knows Couglin well? That would be "a source close to the candidate".

Reporters get to say anything, quoting "a source". Maybe the source is another reporter, or maybe it's speculation from the same person who told us Bills have already moved on from Taylor and the decision on Rex was made after the Pittsburgh game. And readers can not discern between good gouge and poufed-up speculation.

The only way I would have liked Coughlin is if the Pegulas want to clean house, pull Brandon 100% over to Pegula S&E, and make Polian president of football operations. Step back themselves, and have Coughlin hire a GM and a coach, provided he has the interest in that. Frankly I'd welcome the house-cleaning, but it's pretty clear the Pegulas aren't there yet and they still want to play with their new shiny.

In any event, I might be alone, and I might be "sour grapes", but I'm not thrilled on Coughlin and wasn't last spring when it was reported he met with the Pegulas and Rex. The G-men went from 6-10 (2 years, preceded by 7-9) to 11-5 with a coaching change. They had a mediocre to bad D the last 7 years. punctuated by a glorious SB winning season after they backed in to playoffs from a 9-7 season. Their last 3 years with Coughlin were consistently losing. Then there's the fact that he's 70: if we truly want to try to pick a coach who will be here a while, he's not the one.

I totally respect Coughlin's superbowl coaching, but his record on D and recently is not what I want to see (why I'm not high on Bradley for DC). He's Rex 2.0 to me (the improved, less bombastic, more successful and competent version): a proud record of success years ago which justly gives him a great name, but mediocrity of recent. When that's the case for an older gentleman, one wonders if he's lost the "fire" to win championships and will really knuckle down and put in the work it takes (which I think was Rex's problem, I don't think he wanted it badly enough any more to really coach and focus).

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Has coughlin interviewed anywhere other than the initial meeting with Jax because he lives there?

I don't think so. Found this:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/tom-coughlin-thinks-team-super-bowl/story?id=44553861

"The Giants will play the Packers on Sunday in their first postseason game since Coughlin's team won its second Super Bowl over the New England Patriots after the 2011 season. Coughlin, now working for the league as a senior adviser of football operations, has interviewed for the opening in Jacksonville, where he coached from 1995 through 2002 and led the Jaguars to two AFC Championship Games. He declined comment on that opening and others around the league.

"There's nothing in front of me that says that right now," Coughlin said of a potential offer. "It's just speculation. I'm trying to keep myself in a position where I can make a decision about whatever comes my way."

I'm 50/50 on him.

I'd be excited, but it would be dampered a little by the fact that he only has a few years left of coaching, so if he's great it's short-term.

At the end of the day, like him or not, Whaley is the GM and the coach needs to work with the GM. Otherwise we are going to be in an even bigger mess next season, and the Pegulas might feel they can't do anything about it because it's "too soon."

Let's just get it right instead.

Edited by TheFunPolice

OMG you guys! I was on the bus this morning and Jenny totally gave Kelly a dirty look. I can't tell you who, but SOMEONE told me that it's because Jenny might have to work with Kelly on the big science project, but Jenny HATES Kelly. I hear Kelly plans on throwing her jello at Jenny at lunch today!

someone should call jenny and warn her.... 867-5309

I see we still blame only the media.

We do realize it takes two to create a working relationship that the Organization and the media has.

The Bills have as much if not more blame than the media does.

I don't believe either of Vic's "unnamed sources" are purported to work within the Bills.

Whaley better get his pick right or he will be DOOMED!

Well duh. That's as it should be, but I do hope the stuff about "1 year" is trash

so it's possible he "don't like" any of the GMs out there who want to control the 53?

That must be the reason no other interviews yet.

but but but Florio even said he was a "WNY native" and how dare we not give him full control of the football team!

And like many elderly WNY natives he's moved to sunny Florida in his "golden years"

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Now it's VIC! All of TBN, Peter King, Mike Greenberg, Greg Bedard, Jason Cole, Laconforna, Bill Polian and on and on and everyone that speaks out or writes an article gets bashed on here.

Herein lies the problem, they feed off each others stories as if the previous one were true, therefore, before very long EVERYONE says it's a dumpster fire and Whaley is difficult to work with. These guys don't know jack.

Re: Coughlin - Terry wanted his consultation last year. The Bills haven't contacted him this year for the coaching job. Obviously Whaley isn't interested in working with him at this point. Maybe because he's 70 and he wants a long term coach? Vic has no idea, he's just projecting and speculating.

Re: A-Lynn - Vic says he may no longer be interested, but he's set to interview this weekend.

Re: all candidates. Once they are invited in, they will probably accept the invitation. Then they can ask Doug & Jim and the Pegulas all the questions they want about the 'dumpster fire' and Whaley being 'difficult'. When they are all comfy with each other, that is the guy they will hire.

Herein lies the problem, they feed off each others stories as if the previous one were true, therefore, before very long EVERYONE says it's a dumpster fire and Whaley is difficult to work with. These guys don't know jack.

Re: Coughlin - Terry wanted his consultation last year. The Bills haven't contacted him this year for the coaching job. Obviously Whaley isn't interested in working with him at this point. Maybe because he's 70 and he wants a long term coach? Vic has no idea, he's just projecting and speculating.

Re: A-Lynn - Vic says he may no longer be interested, but he's set to interview this weekend.

Re: all candidates. Once they are invited in, they will probably accept the invitation. Then they can ask Doug & Jim and the Pegulas all the questions they want about the 'dumpster fire' and Whaley being 'difficult'. When they are all comfy with each other, that is the guy they will hire.

All logical and reasonable and likely assumptions. See this isn't so hard people!

And the key to it all is the 1st part you wrote: "Herein lies the problem, they feed off each others stories as if the previous one were true".

TOM COUGHLIN DOES NOT LIKE DOUG WHALEY

Sorry to everyone on this thread. I could not take reading the original title anymore.

Thank you. "Doesn't" works as well in a pinch.

Whaley deserves a chance with his own guy. Coughlin is his own guy. Just not a fit.