Tom Coughlin don't like Doug Whaley.

Two-time Super Bowl-winning coach Tom Coughlin was thought to be a leading candidate to join the Bills either as a coach and/or someone who would oversee their football operations, but the Bills had yet to reach out to him as of Tuesday, The News learned. A source said it was unlikely Coughlin would interview with the team because of his discomfort with working with Whaley. Link http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/03/bills-scheduled-interview-mcdermott-wednesday/

This is funny. "Coughlin was thought to be a leading candidate..." By who? The media.

Now the very same media is saying Coughlin is unlikely to interview. The headline should be "The media is wrong again!"

Coughlin did win two Super Bowls but his average season W-L record is 8.5-7.5. His record says he's barely above average. His age says his best years are probably behind him. We're not missing out.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't take anything TBN says seriously anymore. When you say something is a sentiment "around the NFL" and then it becomes apparent that what you mean is "around the journalists who cover NFL teams" you've lost me. I don't like people who say vague things to try and bolster their credibility

TOM COUGHLIN DOES NOT LIKE DOUG WHALEY

Sorry to everyone on this thread. I could not take reading the original title anymore.

Gramur polees att iiit agan.

I don't sea nuttin wrung wit da post

Edited by Dopey

They went 6-10 to 11-5 largely due to a FA spending spree in which they signed a bunch of prominent defensive players to immensely improve the defense.

Something they didn't do with Coughlin.

IMO, you may only get him for two to three years but he would at least give the franchise MUCH needed direction on how to build a winner.

Like I said, Pegula should've dismissed Whaley with Rex because he already has one foot out the door and no successful coach or up and coming coach will want to step into that situation.

The Bills have to get lucky that whoever they choose from a less inspiring list is a good one and that Whaley has one hell of an offseason or we will be blowing this whole thing up in a year or two.(Again, something they should do now, IMO)

Yup, but it will be a typical bills move. Whaley gets canned next year; the new GM is less than inspiring and doesn't want our HC, but has to give him another year or 2 and then they finally both get canned and we hire a GM who hires the yet again new HC and it is almost 25 years before we sniff the playoffs.

Whaley wants to find a coach for the next 10-15 years...Coughlin is 71, do the math lol.

I know Whaley is saying all the right things, but honestly how many NFL coaches stick around that long anyway? Even if we find a guy who takes us to the playoffs there is still a great chance he won't make it 10 years. Coaches rarely do. If Coughlin was the right fit you'd hire him regardless. The right fit will be whoever allows Whaley to dictate everything. Whaley wants a puppet coach. Once the puppet coach fails Whaley and the coach will be out the door. Then we will get the chance to do all this again.

Yup, but it will be a typical bills move. Whaley gets canned next year; the new GM is less than inspiring and doesn't want our HC, but has to give him another year or 2 and then they finally both get canned and we hire a GM who hires the yet again new HC and it is almost 25 years before we sniff the playoffs.

Sadly this is exactly how I feel. It's a depressing thought, but it's not far from reality. I obviously can't question the success the Pegula's have had in business, but it's stunning that they are repeating the same mistakes with the Bills that they made with the Sabres. They really don't get it yet.

People aren't connecting some fairly obvious dots here. https://www.amazon.com/GAME-PLAN-BILL-POLIAN/dp/1600789811. Look at who Polian wrote the book with (click on the cover to blow it up and see.)

Isn't it kinda obvious?? Polian knows Coughlin too.

That's not my point. My point is that Vic keeps publishing articles with unsubstantiated claims from "unnamed sources"..... in two days that has been "Lynn to withdraw from Bills search" which was followed by confirmation that he will interview today and now it is "Coughlin won't speak to the Bills" with nothing that suggests the Bills have even made contact with Coughlin.

I've been a journalist. I know how it works. When you publish a story based on "unnamed sources" it either means you don't have a source and are passing off your opinion as someone else's or it means you have someone who tells you something that they themselves have reason not to be attributed. If I publish a story one day based on unnamed sources that doesn't come to fruition I don't publish another one the next day without getting someone on the record - even if that means I hold the story a day.

He's not gonna name Polian as a source.

People aren't connecting some fairly obvious dots here. https://www.amazon.com/GAME-PLAN-BILL-POLIAN/dp/1600789811. Look at who Polian wrote the book with (click on the cover to blow it up and see.)

Say a former league executive then. Might make it easier for us to connect the dots but at least then it adds some legitimacy to the story.

Say a former league executive then. Might make it easier for us to connect the dots but at least then it adds some legitimacy to the story.

It'd be pretty obvious who it was if he said that given that he coauthored a book with him! I think it's wise to simply take it on faith that it's likely Polian and then treat the comment however you like.

There is not one of you who, if you were in Whaley's place, and have your first genuine no one else but me chance of completely getting your guy and getting your roster, would choose Coughlin. Not one.

And any of you who are about to post he would or I would if I cared about winning, are lying. ;)

When he tried to assist his in depth questions put Pegula to sleep. At some point Terry needs to be called out for being the bumbling idiot that he is, money aside.

I laugh when people call hard-working billionaires as idiots !!!!

Blame the media!

What's funny is all those who hate the media except for John Warrow, only jw's comments in here the other night went a long way towards validating a whole lot of what the rest of the media is saying. Guess haters are gonna hate. :(

Interesting stuff by Dunne here (not about coughlin though). I'm sure many of the journalism experts here will discount his comments because sources are unnamed.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TyDunne?ref_src=twsrc%5Eappleios%7Ctwcamp%5Esafari%7Ctwgr%5Eprofile

I haven't had time to read it, but in general I find Dunne to be a hack. Edited by Rico

This is funny. "Coughlin was thought to be a leading candidate..." By who? The media.

Now the very same media is saying Coughlin is unlikely to interview. The headline should be "The media is wrong again!"

Coughlin did win two Super Bowls but his average season W-L record is 8.5-7.5. His record says he's barely above average. His age says his best years are probably behind him. We're not missing out.

No, no, you aren't getting it. The media is never wrong. It's the teams that are dysfunctional when they don't do what the media says they will.

Nice job connecting some dots.

whaley deserves to finally hire his own coach. every other GM gets to pick their coach yet 4 years in and he's had 2 coaches he did not choose. if he doesn't want coughlin who cares. let him finally get to do his job without russ in there and the coaches falling in love with rex.

Whaley deserves to be fired

Coughlin did win two Super Bowls