Bills defensive player: Rex firing "music to my ears"

Wayne Arnold

I'd have to say Marcell Dareus could be the one as he hated the scheme he was in last year and went to the media from training camp. Not so much this year, though.

It could be either Gilmore or Darby who didn't like being left out to dry in man coverage so often this year.

I'm thinking it has to be Jerry Hughes though as he was fighting on the sidelines with the bloated one and has basically disappeared over the last few weeks.

I find it quite odd that Rex did more for the offense with Incognito, Tyrod Taylor, and Percy Harvin then he did for the defense. A darn shame Harvin didn't pan out as he could have really been such a great help the last two years.

A player can love Rex and even love playing for him and still be thrilled he's gone. Players love coaches for how they talk to them, how they treat them as men, how they allow them freedoms. Players absolutely loved playing for Dick Jauron. He was just a crappy coach.

I had a HS coach that was my favorite but his scheme sucked and was glad when he left even though I really liked him.

The problem is that these guys let their personal opinion get in the way of how they played. Many of us see it on a smaller scale in our work places. An employee doesn't agree with management. Instead of sitting down and working through things, the employee does passive aggressive things to show displeasure. We all got to see poor tackling defenders out of place and sometimes juts not trying. Sad when you consider what they get paid.

No coaching will prevent blown coverages

uhmm..that is almost 100% on coaching. I agree coaches can't fix the physical mistakes,but getting guys in the right position and not making mental mistakes is almost 100% on the coach...in any sport.

Especially when it happens game in and game out...and across the board

The problem is that these guys let their personal opinion get in the way of how they played. Many of us see it on a smaller scale in our work places. An employee doesn't agree with management. Instead of sitting down and working through things, the employee does passive aggressive things to show displeasure. We all got to see poor tackling defenders out of place and sometimes juts not trying. Sad when you consider what they get paid.

It might be a little of that but I just think in the end Rex's scheme was a horrible fit for the defensive players that were here. And Rex isn't intelligent or talented enough to properly adjust.

Whaley should have recognized this prior to watching the Pegula's hire Rex and do everything he could to convince them it was a bad idea. Instead what he likely did was passively sat back and watched it happen - never fully on board - and when things went bad knew he had a "Told ya so" in his back pocket that he's using right now.

Rex could have kept Schwartz's scheme even without him here. He chose to blow it up

yep. ultimately this is why he is gone. Rex brought us TT, Whaley Shady, etc.. built/retained the roster pretty well. but Rex's inattention to detail and love of his outdated confusion defense did him in...

I'm going to agree with Peter.

The crash and burn of Rex was completely predictable and therefore avoidable. But, having said that, it should be obvious that the talent on defense it vastly over rated by many own this board. No coaching will prevent blown coverages or crappy run stopping an tackling. These guys aren;t nearly as good as advertised...here at least.

Let me ask you this. Many of the same guys who couldn't tackle in 2012, seemed to recover their skills in 2013 and excel in 2014. Why is that?

Tackling isn't about talent. It's about technique and practice. Fundamentals. A good HC wouldn't allow players who won't wrap up to stay in the game; he'd send a message. I don't give Rex a pass for the poor tackling whatsoever.

He got cut (after making statements trying to save his spot on the team - read contract).

The Bills cut Mario. Not the other way around.

For what it's worth, the Miami media is calling the Mario signing the worst deal per dollar comparison in club history.

This is exactly what makes a Rex a bad coach. We need a coach who doesn't tolerate this garbage. A coach needs to demand respect. The culture that getting to choose what system you buy into needs to leave this locker room. Too many me first selfish guys on this team IMO. These players talking about not buying into the system are all about themselves. A real leader would send these guys packing.

If the Bills hire a good coach, some of these players will be released. Pretty telling what Watkins said about needing to change the culture.

Urban slang definition: The Twitter version of welp signifies the speakers reluctance or lack of enthusiasm for something that is finished or unchangeable; it is, roughly speaking, a linguistic shrug, which you might imagine as a combination of well and a gulp.

Dang kids and their fancy-pants urban lingo! Back in my day we used phrases that meant something like hubba-hubba and 23-skidoo!

Again, I blame Rex. You can't have something so complicated that only a couple players can truly understand it and if they are gone your whole team gets crushed. That's what happened and it's 100% Rex's fault and why he has to go.

Ok BUT, if you're the GM working with Rex to put together the right roster for the kind of team he's building, shouldn't it ultimately be your responsibility either to (i) force him to adapt his system to the available personnel (to the extent that is possible, which under the Pegulas' "dotted horizontal line" structure it might not have been), and/or (ii) at the very least, if the safety position is critical to the system your coach runs, come into the season with enough depth at that position so that your entire season doesn't hinge on the health of a guy who is one hit away from a wheelchair? What the HELL was Whaley doing all offseason? Does he even talk to his coaches? There were a number of quality safeties available to sign or trade for.

I accept your premise, but to me, it puts equal (if not more) blame on Whaley.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

You'll find it amazing how quickly "learning how to tackle" happens when guys play in a scheme they buy into.

This insinuation that professional athletes would intentionally sacrifice their pride and their legacy to protest and hold hostage their team's success is utterly preposterous.

Tackling isn't about talent. It's about technique and practice. Fundamentals. A good HC wouldn't allow players who won't wrap up to stay in the game; he'd send a message. I don't give Rex a pass for the poor tackling whatsoever.

These guys played high school, college, some pro's, and they just now need to learn how to tackle? They have to know that by the time they reach the NFL

Some old Rex favorites from the Jets - Scott, Revis - have defended Rex since his firing.

But very few Bills players have spoken up in support of Rex.

There's a rumor out there that Rex didn't work as hard this year as in years past. Maybe a bit burnt out. Maybe the rumor is true and the players sensed it.

does rex not know how to coach a 4-3 defense? I mean why couldn't pegula go to him before the season and say...go back to the 4-3 wide 9 and get the defense back. i mean we all knew our guys weren't right for it so why would he bet his career on trying to fit the round peg into the square hole? he gets paid 5 mil per to know all kinds of defenses right?

This insinuation that professional athletes would intentionally sacrifice their pride and their legacy to protest and hold hostage their team's success is utterly preposterous.

Gilmore and ZB come to mind as two guys who were obviously "sacrificing their pride and legacy," on multiple occasions.

Ok BUT, if you're the GM working with Rex to put together the right roster for the kind of team he's building, shouldn't it ultimately be your responsibility either to (i) force him to adapt his system to the available personnel (to the extent that is possible, which under the Pegulas' "dotted horizontal line" structure it might not have been), and/or (ii) at the very least, if the safety position is critical to the system your coach runs, come into the season with enough depth at that position so that your entire season doesn't hinge on the health of a guy who is one hit away from a wheelchair? What the HELL was Whaley doing all offseason? Does he even talk to his coaches? There were a number of quality safeties available to sign or trade for.

I accept your premise, but to me, it puts equal (if not more) blame on Whaley.

I imagine both of them were fairly happy with Blanton as a backup who had several years starting experience. Bringing Ed Reed in likely made them think he could coach a guy like Duke up. The Bills put six safeties on IR. Six. That's crazy.

For the purposes of protesting scheme, no. In self preservation mode in a contract year, yes.

If you recall my original post, I said nothing about "protesting scheme." I said buy-in.

Self-preservation mode, not buying-in come from the same root. Their hearts weren't in it. I don't think it was a planned protest, but if some guy is telling you to do X and he sucks, and X has proven to suck, and the last 20 times you tried X it sucked, the average guy's heart isn't gonna be in it anymore. That's just human nature.

If you recall my original post, I said nothing about "protesting scheme." I said buy-in.

Self-preservation mode, not buying-in come from the same root. Their hearts weren't in it. I don't think it was a planned protest, but if some guy is telling you to do X and he sucks, and X has proven to suck, and the last 20 times you tried X it sucked, the average guy's heart isn't gonna be in it anymore. That's just human nature.

I think a big part of the problem is we went from a Elite defenses to having to "buy into" something else.......

It didnt work...the players dont want to think on the field they want it simple so they can react.

Also....it seems they simply do that have that player that makes the communication flow....my guess is that player had to be Aaron Williams.....

Fix it.....

Dang kids and their fancy-pants urban lingo! Back in my day we used phrases that meant something like hubba-hubba and 23-skidoo!

Do you know the derivation of "23-sldoo? It comes from when the Flatiron was built on 23rd st. The shape of the building caused the wind to blow women's skirts up, hence the term 23-skido.

I am guessing it came from the defensive side of the ball. The Offense did well under Ryan. The malcontents probably were the veteran hold overs. Letting Mario go was a smart move. Hughes will be next. Gilmore, if not franchised, will be looking to move on. The purge will be starting soon.

does rex not know how to coach a 4-3 defense? I mean why couldn't pegula go to him before the season and say...go back to the 4-3 wide 9 and get the defense back. i mean we all knew our guys weren't right for it so why would he bet his career on trying to fit the round peg into the square hole? he gets paid 5 mil per to know all kinds of defenses right?

No way is an owner going to tell a coach to change his entire defense. Pegs did the right thing in getting rid of the guy with the difficult scheme.

I'm going to agree with Peter.

The crash and burn of Rex was completely predictable and therefore avoidable. But, having said that, it should be obvious that the talent on defense it vastly over rated by many own this board. No coaching will prevent blown coverages or crappy run stopping an tackling. These guys aren;t nearly as good as advertised...here at least.

The biggest problem with Rex's Defense was a surprisingly lack of pressure and confusion on the opposing QB.

You indicate its the lack of talent - it can be strongly argued that using Darius as an expensive Nose Guard rather than an attacking 330lb DT hurts our pass rush attempts.

Also - much of Rex;s pass rush scheme was designed around delayed blitzes by def backs and linebackers - in todays league the QB gets rid of the ball so quickly the pressure has to come from the front 4.

Rexs scheme is no longer working in todays league - thats the biggest reason to be adios.

C'mon, don't like the scheme so you let guys run right over you?

when the communication fails, you hesitate, when you hesitate, you start thinking, and when you start thinking the other team already snaped the ball, you overreact and overpursue. You don't trust your teammate got the play right and you overcompensate for him, taking you out of your assigned position.

You can aid this with a more simpler system, in Schwartz's system, the rookie Preston Brown called the plays, the system worked for everyone. We should look into going to a similar system next year (for the sake of defensive players)

Gilmore, though, as Eball said, lacks fundamentals of how to tackle properly.

in the off-season I posted a video of how the Seahawks hired some rugby coaches to teach them how to tackle. I hope our next HC guy can implement something similiar.

Just as long as it's a #tallwhitequarterback.

A way bitter fit fer Baw-floh! Dat street fuhball doh werk in dis league.

I respect the hell out of Tyrod. He has given us all he has. I am not sure that there is going to be any QB available that is better than he is. The problem (or one problem) is his contract. Can one justify the cap hit?

I think the Texans are finding out that they made a mistake.