Bills defensive player: Rex firing "music to my ears"

Wayne Arnold

Here's what one #Bills defensive player told me when I asked about Rex Ryan getting fired this week: "That was music to my ears." Welp.

https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/814622656397975552

I wonder who that was. I'm guessing Hughes.

Also...

A lot of players loved Rex's bravado, but many more never were never "All In" with his scheme. Felt like he tore down the best thing going.

The only player who I saw tweet anything after he was fired was Douzable. He was upset (probably because he's a Rex guy from NJ). Not that they should, but I've seen players on other teams when coaches are fired get pretty vocal about thanking them, wishing they'd win more games for them, etc.

The only player who I saw tweet anything after he was fired was Douzable. He was upset (probably because he's a Rex guy from NJ). Not that they should, but I've seen players on other teams when coaches are fired get pretty vocal about thanking them, wishing they'd win more games for them, etc.

Shady, Wood, and Incognito all were on the record before Rex was fired.

So we're the 4-12 Jets. They loved Rexs frat house.

Rex didn't win enough games not perform well enough as a coach. So he's gone. Sorry.

Whatever.

I was responding to another post. God forbid that you should be forced to read something that does not totally agree with your view of the world (or in this case, your crusade).

A player can love Rex and even love playing for him and still be thrilled he's gone. Players love coaches for how they talk to them, how they treat them as men, how they allow them freedoms. Players absolutely loved playing for Dick Jauron. He was just a crappy coach.

A-flipping-Men! They know who leads them to wins and who doesn't .

When we have our new coach, I hope that some of these guys are able to tackle.

I really do . . . for our sake and for the new HC and team.

I'm going to agree with Peter.

The crash and burn of Rex was completely predictable and therefore avoidable. But, having said that, it should be obvious that the talent on defense it vastly over rated by many own this board. No coaching will prevent blown coverages or crappy run stopping an tackling. These guys aren;t nearly as good as advertised...here at least.

When we have our new coach, I hope that some of these guys are able to tackle.

I really do . . . for our sake and for the new HC and team.

Last week was maybe the worst ever run-into-but-bounce-off-of display I have ever seen. WRAP UP!

I'm going to agree with Peter.

The crash and burn of Rex was completely predictable and therefore avoidable. But, having said that, it should be obvious that the talent on defense it vastly over rated by many own this board. No coaching will prevent blown coverages or crappy run stopping an tackling. These guys aren;t nearly as good as advertised...here at least.

You'll find it amazing how quickly "learning how to tackle" happens when guys play in a scheme they buy into.

I check godaddy and butthurtbecauserexgotfired.com is available.

Geez dude.

Get a freaking sense of humor.

You'll find it amazing how quickly "learning how to tackle" happens when guys play in a scheme they buy into.

So that was Gilmore's problem?!? Maybe he was trying to show how he plays when he is underpaid.

Or Washington's problem on the Dolphin's first TD?

No I won't. That's BS. Unless you think guys are tanking all season because they "don't buy into a scheme". who would ever believe that?

Jerry Hughes for sure. Would have liked him to become a leader on the team instead of the class clown. He's good but great players make the players around them better. Jerry Hughes only cares about Jerry Hughes

Whatever you might think of Rex, Jerry had his issues with Marrone as well.

I hope he plays like we know he can next year and stops some of the head case BS.

No I won't. That's BS. Unless you think guys are tanking all season because they "don't buy into a scheme". who would ever believe that?

Do you think all the remnants of the 2014 D forgot how to tackle? Or they alligator armed it because they didn't buy in?

Get a freaking sense of humor.

So that was Gilmore's problem?!? Maybe he was trying to show how he plays when he is underpaid.

Or Washington's problem on the Dolphin's first TD?

See above.

Edited by FireChan

Is Tyler Dunne a hack now because he's Bills negative?

I will hang up and listen.

IMO Tyler is doing his news job - quoting something a player told him.

The guys who seem a bit "hack" would take that quote and spin it into a whole room full of straw about what that means about Rex, Whaley, Brandon, the Bills roster, the Bills playoff history, and the whelping history of the Bills fieldhouse cat's Grandmother.

Do you think all the remnants of the 2014 D forgot how to tackle? Or they alligator armed it because they didn't buy in?

See above.

They aren't that good. it's simple. Saying they were purposefully faking bad play to make an anti-Rex statement is the silliest take thus far.

A joke.

IMO Tyler is doing his news job - quoting something a player told him.

The guys who seem a bit "hack" would take that quote and spin it into a whole room full of straw about what that means about Rex, Whaley, Brandon, the Bills roster, the Bills playoff history, and the whelping history of the Bills fieldhouse cat's Grandmother.

You should read some of his tweets over the past few weeks. He already has spun.

I actually think he is a great writer. He was a great catch for TBN and a great loss not too long after that.

Mario Williams DEFINITELY knew what he was getting out of when he left. SHOCKER!

He got cut (after making statements trying to save his spot on the team - read contract).

The Bills cut Mario. Not the other way around.

Edited by Peter

They aren't that good. it's simple. Saying they were purposefully faking bad play to make an anti-Rex statement is the silliest take thus far.

A joke.

Faking bad play? Or not putting in full effort to tackle?

Do you think Preston Brown forgot how to tackle in 2 years?

Edited by FireChan

Is Tyler Dunne a hack now because he's Bills negative?

I will hang up and listen.

No he is reporting quotes from players, not presenting only parts of the truth that fit his own personal agenda while completely leaving out the rest of the truths and the entire picture because that doesn't fit what he wants people to believe.

Here's what one #Bills defensive player told me when I asked about Rex Ryan getting fired this week: "That was music to my ears." Welp.

https://twitter.com/TyDunne/status/814622656397975552

I wonder who that was. I'm guessing Hughes.

Also...

A lot of players loved Rex's bravado, but many more never were never "All In" with his scheme. Felt like he tore down the best thing going.

Excellent. I hope more of them felt that way. Shows that there are players here who want to win more than they want a country club. Sammy being one.

No he is reporting quotes from players, not presenting only parts of the truth that fit his own personal agenda while completely leaving out the rest of the truths and the entire picture because that doesn't fit what he wants people to believe.

That is an accurate statement about Ty Dunne . . . as well as the media in general.

What a journalist, network, newspaper etc. decide to report is just as important as how it is reported.

I took a course in high school that dealt with this. We compared the New York Times, Buffalo News, Washington Post and other papers each day. It was amazing to compare what was reported v. not reported, above or below fold, page one v. below the fold on page 23 etc.

I remember watching CNN and Fox after Hurricane Katrina. One network focused on the devastation. The other focused on the looting. Same event. Both happened. Two very different coverages.

One of the great things (and bad things) about the internet is that we are not limited by what the editors of the Buffalo News (or any other paper) consider to be news or how to report it. We have access to all kinds of outlets and viewpoints. I can go to Drudge, Huffington, Daily Beast, New York Times, Daily Beast, Daily Mirror to get my news. I can go to Twitter and connect with people around the word and be exposed to all different viewpoints and get links to stories that either are not reported here or have a different slant.

With this comes responsibility. We need to consume information critically, take it all in, and try to draw intelligent conclusions or opinions etc.

Ok, back to football.

Edited by Peter

Is "welp" just reporting a quote. :lol:

This is exactly what makes a Rex a bad coach. We need a coach who doesn't tolerate this garbage. A coach needs to demand respect. The culture that getting to choose what system you buy into needs to leave this locker room. Too many me first selfish guys on this team IMO. These players talking about not buying into the system are all about themselves. A real leader would send these guys packing.

Is "welp" just reporting a quote. :lol:

Urban slang definition: The Twitter version of welp signifies the speakers reluctance or lack of enthusiasm for something that is finished or unchangeable; it is, roughly speaking, a linguistic shrug, which you might imagine as a combination of well and a gulp.

To your earlier question, when Dunne's writing becomes petty, personally insulting, and seemingly vindictive instead of merely being critical then you'll know he's "gone hack," until then you're just being obtuse.

Sometimes it really is what the reporter or editor decides to show you that makes a statement from a GM or coach or player totally misunderstood by the general public, depending on what they actually saw from the interview. If you watched the entire interview with Marcel Dareus from two days ago, for example, he was talking about poor communication between the players and the complexity of Rex's defense. It's easy to come away from that and say that the Bills players were just not academic All AmerIcans and couldn't pick up the complexities of the defense and therefore Rex was stupid for having such a complicated defense.

But if you watched the actual interview, he was saying flat out that injuries affected the communication on defense, and once Aaron Williams went out, they were having different guys replace him all the time and they were often right off the street and the defense had never played with them before and (he implied) the safeties that replaced AW didn't know the calls and coverages like AW did and so there was a lot of confusion right before the snap.

That's a completely different explanation. Rex's defense has the safeties calling a lot of the coverages because it is complicated. The Bills put SIX safeties on IR this year. There were two guys, Ighijibo or whatever his name is, and Sergio Brown that went from street free agents to starters in one week. And the communication suffered greatly. And Dareus was saying that people didn't realize what a huge difference that made.

It's legitimate to put that blame on Rex. I do. In this league, you cannot have a defense that is so complicated it needs one guy like Jim Leonhard or even Aaron Williams to know it so well that if they are not there it's a mess. That's clearly Rex's fault and something few if any other coaches suffer from.

BUT...

When Dareus was explaining that, fans and reporters and people here are taking it as the Bills defenders aren't smart enough to handle it and they revolted. That wasn't really the case.

Again, I blame Rex. You can't have something so complicated that only a couple players can truly understand it and if they are gone your whole team gets crushed. That's what happened and it's 100% Rex's fault and why he has to go.

Great post, Kelly. Rex's stubborn allegiance to his overly complicated scheme that relies upon one Uber-athlete to coordinate was his undoing.

Well, that and his lack of attention to detail and dubious game management skills.

Edited by eball

All offensive players. Interesting we haven't heard much from the Defensive players outside of Douz.

Plus you have to really listen to these guys. What Incognito said, rightfully, was that I will always love Rex. Rex gave me the second chance. Rex believed in me and gave me that chance no one else did and I will always love him for it. That's entirely understandable. He wasn't even saying that Rex shouldn't have been let go. He had equally if not more praise for Anthony Lynn. He wants Lynn to be the coach. But players almost always want their guys to continue on. The quote from Incognito didn't at all say that he thought Rex would be a better coach than Lynn or anyone else. He loves Rex for a personal legitimate reason.

Edited by Kelly the Dog