Marcell Dareus' thoughts on Rex Ryan's firing

Wayne Arnold

Quick, somebody tell me the percentage of snaps Dareus played at the zero this season.

Like it or not, he possesses the talent to play multiple positions along the line and sometimes that means at the nose, depending on the game situation and personnel on the field. He is certainly not "wasted" there on the snaps he played that technique.

He lacks the all consuming passion for the game that often separates the very good from the great. And he would lack that passion no matter where he lines up.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, I don't think that's what he meant. I've notice in every game since Rex has had this defense that the players aren't playing instinctively and aggressively like they did with Schwartz. They're reacting to plays which puts them on their heels when they should be running down hill and attacking instead. You don't need a complicated defense, this isn't 1996 and Rex can't let that go.

You have to play fast against many of today's QB. They get rid of the ball so quickly. If you're thinking about your reads and the calls, the ball is downfield before you figure it out.

Exactly. I am still stunned that Rex didn't ask to sign a Nose Tackle and move Dareus to DE. Just very odd that a defensive mind like Rex couldn't see what casual fans could. You don't pay 100 million to a nose tackle. Dareus's value is pushing the pocket in the QB's face.

A la warren sapp. Once read a great article on how the penetrating 3 tech guys are unstoppable beasts in the right scheme and invisible in the wrong ones.

I think it's a combination of the wacky weed and and the hunger it likely causes...I know I've written this a million times on this board...But when Dareus came out he was a lean 319 lb monster...He showed up at his first camp huge and has never got close to that 319 again...If the kid would get serious about diet and nutrition he would literally be unstoppable... B-)

Then the coaching staff probably shouldn't have told him he should be a 350 pound anchor nose tackle who occupies blockers. They thought he was Damon Harrison. That's not who he is.

I have multiple feelings here

First...Marcel should be doing whatever the team tells him to and staying out of trouble

Second.....this is unfortunately not the world we live in

Third.....sadly in order to get the production out of him that we want....we need to make it a defense he actually enjoys playing in

WHich means one where he is rushing the passer and not tieing up blockers

Just find a DC that runs a D that fits the players

Exactly. I am still stunned that Rex didn't ask to sign a Nose Tackle and move Dareus to DE. Just very odd that a defensive mind like Rex couldn't see what casual fans could. You don't pay 100 million to a nose tackle. Dareus's value is pushing the pocket in the QB's face

nope he never called that play did he, not with Kyle either arrghh

First...Marcel should be doing whatever the team tells him to and staying out of trouble

Third.....sadly in order to get the production out of him that we want....we need to make it a defense he actually enjoys playing in

I will never understand that a player can decide what he wants to do

never

Does bring up one good point, in the two years with the Jets that the team played well and went to conf championship game, I wonder if there were few injuries on the defensive side?

Maybe as long as the starters are out there and have good talent, they know what's going and they are able to learn the defense, but once you start bringing in subs due to injury, everything falls apart.

At one hundred million he should enjoy the fact he is still on the team after this year. He played half a season and only really showed up for about four games he started. It cannot be all scheme. A lot of it was player motivation or the lack of it.

The team should not be in the business of making me first players happy. In fact it should be quite the opposite. Too bad his contract is so heavy a cap hit. He is a toke away from a 10 game suspension. IMO,he has a lot too prove. His talent is undeniable.

Then the coaching staff probably shouldn't have told him he should be a 350 pound anchor nose tackle who occupies blockers. They thought he was Damon Harrison. That's not who he is.

That was in his rookie year and who knows how many DC's ago...And I seriously doubt they wanted him at 350...Who asks a Rookie to put on 30 plus lbs when he's already 320? I think they were just starting the now long-lived tradition of covering for Dareus and his laziness...

Since then he's shown no desire to get back down where he needs to be...And I don't think it's going out on a limb to imagine they have asked him to do so... He gets away with it because, despite his lack of ideal conditioning, he's still pretty darn good when he wants to be...But that kid could have been the next coming of Warren Sapp...Only bigger and more powerful...He could be one of the greatest ever...it just seems to me that no one can get him serious about getting back into great shape...Of course giving him $100 million is not exactly going to motivate him to think it's necessary either... B-)

Ross Tucker weighs in :lol:

Ross Tucker @RossTuckerNFL 2h2 hours ago

Ross Tucker Retweeted ProFootballTalk

Breaking: Guy who lacks attention to detail didn't like playing in a defense that requires attention to detail.

Ross Tucker added,

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
Marcell Dareus: Too much detail in Rex Ryan's defense http://bit.ly/2ieVjmZ
21 replies 49 retweets 185 likes

What a concept

I am not knowledgeable enough to comment, but do we know anyone that can describe the complexity of Rex's D with that of the Patsy's.

I hear players talk about on field communication being too complex, but how does that relate to Belicheats who has been through numerous D coordinators and have not lost much. They seem to plug and play.

Marcel says Rex's defense was too detailed.

What he REALLY means is that these players are too stupid to run a defense that has worked for many a player in the past, but it was over the heads of the current roster.

A good coach will create a scheme that will accent a player's strengths, not force a system down their throats.

That said, successful teams have intelligent players, not just athletes. That's on Whaley.

I was not impressed years ago when Pollian brought in Marv Levy, but was pleasantly surprised. I'm going to adopt the same attitude with this new hire, but I fully expect status quo until Pegula cleans house and brings in legitimate management.

I'm sad to say I predict we'll hit 20 years before we see the playoffs.

Sigh.

Completely disagree. The Miami Hurricanes had how many first round draft picks the last couple years under Golden, and they sucked on defense. The reason was the d was overly complicated. It took away one of their biggest advantages, which was speed and first step. It's not about being stupid, they could get to their spots, it's about that split second where you are thinking before moving that screws you.

Everyone's except Dareus's, obviously.

Obviously...

I think Dareus is pretty much the poster child for why this organization fails...

A very good player who could be a generational-type talent if he got his head on straight, got into great shape, and stopped being a lazy minded kid...

So we decide to give him 100 million knowing all that, and he returns the favor by getting suspended, coming in out of shape, and missing half of his remaining games due to muscle pulls...Then he disappears for HUGE stretches...Finally his excuse is the Defense was too confusing...

I wanted Rex canned, and I'm not saying Dareus is wrong about the Defense...But why should I consider anything he has to say?...The buffet line is far more important to him that being the player he could be...So...Why should I care? B-)

What Dareus said is exactly what we all know from watching. They're were doing way too much. Guys running the field late, guys checking all the time and missing checks, guys with backs to the ball not knowing what they are doing.

It was too complicated. It sucked.

Obviously...

I think Dareus is pretty much the poster child for why this organization fails...

A very good player who could be a generational-type talent if he got his head on straight, got into great shape, and stopped being a lazy minded kid...

So we decide to give him 100 million knowing all that, and he returns the favor by getting suspended, coming in out of shape, and missing half of his remaining games due to muscle pulls...Then he disappears for HUGE stretches...Finally his excuse is the Defense was too confusing...

I wanted Rex canned, and I'm not saying Dareus is wrong about the Defense...But why should I consider anything he has to say?...The buffet line is far more important to him that being the player he could be...So...Why should I care? B-)

Don't shoot the messenger. Dareus is a guy who excelled in defenses run by good 4-3 DCs like Saban (effectively the DC in Alabama) and Schwartz. His point about playing slow because of the massive turnover on the team over the course of the season is absolutely correct. The defense took a big turn for the worse both seasons after Aaron Williams went down. A scheme that relies on one safety always being the one guy who gets it is a problematic scheme. Unfortunately for the Bills, Jim Leonhard was a once-in-a-decade player. :)

Ross Tucker weighs in :lol:

Ross Tucker ‏@RossTuckerNFL 2h2 hours ago

Ross Tucker Retweeted ProFootballTalk

Breaking: Guy who lacks attention to detail didn't like playing in a defense that requires attention to detail.

Ross Tucker added,

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
Marcell Dareus: Too much detail in Rex Ryan's defense http://bit.ly/2ieVjmZ
21 replies 49 retweets 185 likes

This is funny and to the point.

@RyanTalbotBills

Bart Scott calls out Bills' Marcell Dareus: 'We can't put the play book in crayon' http://s.newyorkupstate.com/UUfIcBF

Thanks to both Bart Scott and Ross Tucker for being the voices of reason and not letting players get away with some of the BS.

Dareus' issues are, IMO, mutually exclusive from the issues with Rex's defense.

There's no way that the loss of one guy that communicates adjustments should cause such a precipitous decline in performance.

I despise the idea that every little shift on offense requires multiple checks and changes in approach on defense that all need to be communicated in seconds pre-snap.

All teams have checks and adjustments, but when the quantity and complexity of those checks get in the way of guys being able to simply execute their responsibilities, it becomes detrimental, as we've seen.

This is funny and to the point.

Thanks to both Bart Scott and Ross Tucker for being the voices of reason and not letting players get away with some of the BS.

As a Rex guy through and through, was there any doubt about whose back Bart Scott would have? Nope.... None at all.

C074loVWQAAF7YA.jpg

How is it BS?

I guess BS is in the eye of the beholder.

As a Rex guy through and through, was there any doubt about whose back Bart Scott would have? Nope.... None at all.

C074loVWQAAF7YA.jpg

. . . and how do you dismiss Ross Tucker?

C074loVWQAAF7YA.jpg

Here's where I stand...

A coach should shape the system around the players, not the other way around.

The reason why Belichick is the best is because he coaches the 11 guys that are on the field. You won't see him asking guys to play outside of their wheelhouse.

Coaching is about putting guys in the best position to have success.

One of the reasons that Lynn has the cursory look of HC material is that he's been able to produce points consistently without a franchise QB and without the services of his only real receiving threat. He's done that by asking Taylor, the OL, the RBs, and guys like Hunter and Goodwin to simply do what they're good at.

I won't claim to know if that means he'll be a good HC, but I do know that it's the diametric opposite of what Rex did with the D.

Here's where I stand...

The reason why Belichick is the best is because he coaches the 11 guys that are on the field. You won't see him asking guys to play outside of their wheelhouse.

One of the reasons that Lynn has the cursory look of HC material is that he's been able to produce points consistently without a franchise QB and without the services of his only real receiving threat. He's done that by asking Taylor, the OL, the RBs, and guys like Hunter and Goodwin to simply do what they're good at.

I won't claim to know if that means he'll be a good HC, but I do know that it's the diametric opposite of what Rex did with the D.

The best coaches are flexible in their approaches based upon personnel. I look at guys like Shula and Gibbs as examples.

The best coaches are flexible in their approaches based upon personnel. I look at guys like Shula and Gibbs as examples.

Shula was a great coach.

He went from an offense that threw the ball a relatively few number of times to one that completely changed when they drafted Dan Marino. Of course, having a guy like Dan Marino drop in your lap makes it a lot easier.

P.S. I used to work with Don's daughter and we became good friends. Long story short, Don is a great and classy guy and also responsible for me and my sister having amazing seats to Super Bowl 25.

Edited by Peter

Here's where I stand...

Belichick wasn't able to get anything out of Haynesworth. Dareus is way heavier than he was when he was drafted, he has been suspended twice for weed so that means he has tested positive how many times? Seth Joyner was brought in to work with this defense and left because they were just hanging out in the locker room.

Rex didn't conform to the players wishes, I get that. What should he have done for Dareus? Let him pick the plays? Would that make him be more responsible off the field? Would that make him happier so he eats less? Is Rex responsible for Marcell getting heavier? At some point self accountability needs to kick in, these guys got run over multiple times by Jay freaking Ajayi. Finger pointing is not a good look. Rex deserved to go but these guys should shut up and play better under their new coach and prove that they actually care about winning.

I fully expect a Herculean effort from all our malcontents this Sunday vs. a Jets team that gave up months ago. That will be their I told you so moment that they can stick it in everyone else's face... until of course adversity shows up sometime next season and they once again fold up.

Rex's job isn't to be the smartest guy on the field with the best scheme. It's to win. He didn't do his job - not enough of the time.

Rex is supposed to be a defensive guru yet his defense under-performed. His fault. Maybe Marcel's criticisms are off target but Rex still failed to deliver.

Nonetheless, I think Bart Scott's defense of Rex was pointed and funny. It's gotta warm Rex's heart to have former players like Revis and Scott come to his defense.