Marcell Dareus' thoughts on Rex Ryan's firing

Wayne Arnold

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belichick wasn't able to get anything out of Haynesworth. Dareus is way heavier than he was when he was drafted, he has been suspended twice for weed so that means he has tested positive how many times? Seth Joyner was brought in to work with this defense and left because they were just hanging out in the locker room.

Rex didn't conform to the players wishes, I get that. What should he have done for Dareus? Let him pick the plays? Would that make him be more responsible off the field? Would that make him happier so he eats less? Is Rex responsible for Marcell getting heavier? At some point self accountability needs to kick in, these guys got run over multiple times by Jay freaking Ajayi. Finger pointing is not a good look. Rex deserved to go but these guys should shut up and play better under their new coach and prove that they actually care about winning.

I fully expect a Herculean effort from all our malcontents this Sunday vs. a Jets team that gave up months ago. That will be their I told you so moment that they can stick it in everyone else's face... until of course adversity shows up sometime next season and they once again fold up.

As I said, Dareus' issues and Rex's issues are mutually exclusive IMO.

I don't remember Marcell having any issues with the defense when Pettine or Scwhartz were in charge, which isn't to say that he previously had his priorities in order; I simply mean that he made more impact plays.

What Rex could've done was simplify things to allow the front 7 to attack more and play less read-and-react-and-re-read-and-check-and-re-react stuff.

Again, it's about coaching the 11 that you have on the field, not attempting to shoehorn pieces into a rigid scheme whether guys are at their best in it or not.

Now will Rex apologist go after Shady????

Sal Capaccio (@SalSports)

12/30/16, 12:06 PM

LeSean McCoy says discipline "has been an issue" with Bills/coaching this year but "players have to be accountable"

As you know, Shady wanted Rex to continue.

Now will Rex apologist go after Shady????

Sal Capaccio 🏈 (@SalSports)

12/30/16, 12:06 PM

LeSean McCoy says discipline "has been an issue" with Bills/coaching this year but "players have to be accountable"

No, numb nuts! Shady was accountable all season long, thus his comments have much more merit than players who were not. Edited by Commonsense

Should have ask him his thoughts on sour diesel vs. blue haze and whether he prefers sativa or indica.

Dareus' issues are, IMO, mutually exclusive from the issues with Rex's defense.

Couldnt disagree more. When you demonstrate time and time again that you are not committed to your craft you give up the right to complain about your employer. Especially when your employer has made you one of the highest paid people in your field.

Should have ask him his thoughts on sour diesel vs. blue haze and whether he prefers sativa or indica.

Couldnt disagree more. When you demonstrate time and time again that you are not committed to your craft you give up the right to complain about your employer. Especially when your employer has made you one of the highest paid people in your field.

That has zero to do with whether or not Rex puts his players in position to be successful.

Like I said, two totally separate issues: Dareus and his commitment to football, and Rex's ability to put guys' talents to their best use.

Edited by thebandit27

No, numb nuts! Shady was accountable all season long, thus his comments have much more merit than players who were not.

Shady had a great year. Gave his all. Kept his mouth shut. Stayed committed after getting his contract upped. Marcell could learn from that. Just stay out of trouble this offseason please Shady!

Dareus' issues are, IMO, mutually exclusive from the issues with Rex's defense.

There's no way that the loss of one guy that communicates adjustments should cause such a precipitous decline in performance.

I despise the idea that every little shift on offense requires multiple checks and changes in approach on defense that all need to be communicated in seconds pre-snap.

All teams have checks and adjustments, but when the quantity and complexity of those checks get in the way of guys being able to simply execute their responsibilities, it becomes detrimental, as we've seen.

thats the thing, really, isnt it?

whether or not you want to roast dareus -- rex had the guy for 2 years and knew what he was capable of, and not capable of.... and didnt make choices that would maximize his best players impact. you can give dareus a hard time for his shortcomings, but that doesnt mean rex is off the hook (or the other way around).

in this case we are tied to one of them and can let the other walk... and one is still here and the other isnt.

thats the thing, really, isnt it?

whether or not you want to roast dareus -- rex had the guy for 2 years and knew what he was capable of, and not capable of.... and didnt make choices that would maximize his best players impact. you can give dareus a hard time for his shortcomings, but that doesnt mean rex is off the hook (or the other way around).

in this case we are tied to one of them and can let the other walk... and one is still here and the other isnt.

Yes, exactly

Marcel says Rex's defense was too detailed.

What he REALLY means is that these players are too stupid to run a defense that has worked for many a player in the past, but it was over the heads of the current roster.

A good coach will create a scheme that will accent a player's strengths, not force a system down their throats.

That said, successful teams have intelligent players, not just athletes. That's on Whaley.

I was not impressed years ago when Pollian brought in Marv Levy, but was pleasantly surprised. I'm going to adopt the same attitude with this new hire, but I fully expect status quo until Pegula cleans house and brings in legitimate management.

I'm sad to say I predict we'll hit 20 years before we see the playoffs.

Sigh.

If the players are "too stupid" to effectively execute the D scheme, then the really stupid one is the HC who refuse to change to a scheme that they can effectively execute. To continue imposing a system that doesn't work - for two years, with no indication it was ever going to change - is itself grounds to fire "the genius." Edited by yungmack

That has zero to do with whether or not Rex puts his players in position to be successful.

Like I said, two totally separate issues: Dareus and his commitment to football, and Rex's ability to put guys' talents to their best use.

Talking about him opening his big fat mouth for something other than stuffing a sheet pizza down his throat. He should just shut up, put down the bong, go to rehab, then waddle over to the gym and focus on getting into shape and earning his contract next year. Really dont care what his opinion is. He has zero credibility.

Talking about him opening his big fat mouth for something other than stuffing a sheet pizza down his throat. He should just shut up, put down the bong, go to rehab, then waddle over to the gym and focus on getting into shape and earning his contract next year. Really dont care what his opinion is. He has zero credibility.

Don't take this the wrong way: if that's what you were talking about , then I have no idea why you chose my post to reply to, since my statement was that Dareus' issues and Rex's issues were mutually exclusive.

I've long felt that Dareus wasn't maximizing his talents--he's never been in the kind of shape as a pro that he was when he was drafted. That, combined with his substance issues, has held him back.

I'll give you selfish and immature. Maybe even druggie.

He is nowhere near lazy, dumb, or a cancer.

Could you say a little more about this, what you know, how you know, and so forth?

The "lazy" perception of some is because he looks, em, a bit plump. Now it may be the coaches wanted him to "block more daylight" in a NT role thus he's gained weight, but the perception is he's not in top football shape.

The "dumb" perception of some is because Bart Scott says Rex's D is not that hard to master and implies any pro player who can't master it is looking for a "playbook written in crayon".

The "cancer" would be if he could have bought in and mastered the playbook, but didn't, thus hindering the success of the defense.

I don't know whether any of these things are true, but I don't know that they're not true either.

Could you say a little more about this, what you know, how you know, and so forth?

The "lazy" perception of some is because he looks, em, a bit plump. Now it may be the coaches wanted him to "block more daylight" in a NT role thus he's gained weight, but the perception is he's not in top football shape.

The "dumb" perception of some is because Bart Scott says Rex's D is not that hard to master and implies any pro player who can't master it is looking for a "playbook written in crayon".

The "cancer" would be if he could have bought in and mastered the playbook, but didn't, thus hindering the success of the defense.

I don't know whether any of these things are true, but I don't know that they're not true either.

Well, I've spoken with him more than once, so I'm basing the opinion that he's not dumb on my interactions with him.

I think we need to separate lazy and overweight. He trains his tail off--he's strong as an ox--so that's not lazy to me.

His eating habits are a real issue--to me, that's where selfish comes into play. Gotta think about more than your appetite and taste buds when your weight affects the team.

To me, a cancer is someone that causes problems with his attitude toward teammates and coaches--by all accounts that's not him. I also get the feeling that he's not speaking exclusively (or even mostly) about himself when he says that the defense is too complicated. When he references loses Aaron as a detriment to communications, that's mostly in the back 7, so admittedly I'm reading between the lines there.

I suppose some folks could call Dareus a de facto cancer because other players could resent that the highest paid player on the team isn't as committed to the game as guys like Shady etc.

Like I've said, I think he's got a lot of maturing to do; he could really be one of the best players in the league if he applies himself.

No discipline and no leadership.

Who's there to get in these players faces about knowing the damn playbook and their assignments?

Guarantee Rex wasn't.

You dont have to necessarily get in their faces, but you are certainly correct that the players were given no extra reason to care.

Check my recent post in Scott's Accountability thread, I think you'll like it.

To me, that's immature.

I mean, I did that type of stuff when I was 21, and I'm not dumb.

Now, that doesn't mean I never did dumb stuff...obviously :lol:

Yeah, that racing incident doesnt bother me. However, showing up dangerously out of shape for Week 5 is unacceptable and infuriating.

Well, I've spoken with him more than once, so I'm basing the opinion that he's not dumb on my interactions with him.

I think we need to separate lazy and overweight. He trains his tail off--he's strong as an ox--so that's not lazy to me.

His eating habits are a real issue--to me, that's where selfish comes into play. Gotta think about more than your appetite and taste buds when your weight affects the team.

To me, a cancer is someone that causes problems with his attitude toward teammates and coaches--by all accounts that's not him. I also get the feeling that he's not speaking exclusively (or even mostly) about himself when he says that the defense is too complicated. When he references loses Aaron as a detriment to communications, that's mostly in the back 7, so admittedly I'm reading between the lines there.

I suppose some folks could call Dareus a de facto cancer because other players could resent that the highest paid player on the team isn't as committed to the game as guys like Shady etc.

Like I've said, I think he's got a lot of maturing to do; he could really be one of the best players in the league if he applies himself.

dareus QUIT on his teammates...just slightly different than Mario (CANCER).

got himself suspended. then came back completely out of shape (SELFISH, LAZY, DRUGGIE)

he fancies himself a penetrating DT...not a NT. he was asked to stop the run....he gave a half ass effort in the classroom knowing the playbook (not smart & CANCER) and on the field he was manhandled this season.

comes to meetings late....habitually....no self discipline. that causes huge dissension in a locker room ...hence Sammy and shady speaking out. (CANCER)

guy is in COMPLETE DENIAL.....team announces he is entering rehab...HE NEVER GOES......(more CANCER)

Great post. He really has played well of late. He was actually often dominant in the Steelers game, but the rest of the front seven and the safeties were horrible.

You dont have to necessarily get in their faces, but you are certainly correct that the players were given no extra reason to care.

Check my recent post in Scott's Accountability thread, I think you'll like it.

Yeah, that racing incident doesnt bother me. However, showing up dangerously out of shape for Week 5 is unacceptable and infuriating.

I agree with this, as well as Bandito's and Scott Law's recent posts.

This is definitely where a lack of leadership reared its ugly head.

Part of being a leader is also listening. Rex's communication style is one-way. This is how it's going to be. You don't like it? !@#$ off.

He forced a crap system down his players' throats. The players knew it wouldn't work. He did it anyway.

Result? Our two best players in Mario and Dareus went south. Is it right? No. But don't forget, these guys are human. They can be immature. They can be brats and babies, just like any other adult can.

And it takes a leader to communicate to those people. To talk with them instead of at them. To adjust.

I don't put it all on Rex, but I put a lot of it on him.

dareus QUIT on his teammates...just slightly different than Mario (CANCER).

got himself suspended. then came back completely out of shape (SELFISH, LAZY, DRUGGIE)

he fancies himself a penetrating DT...not a NT. he was asked to stop the run....he gave a half ass effort in the classroom knowing the playbook (not smart & CANCER) and on the field he was manhandled this season.

comes to meetings late....habitually....no self discipline. that causes huge dissension in a locker room ...hence Sammy and shady speaking out. (CANCER)

guy is in COMPLETE DENIAL.....team announces he is entering rehab...HE NEVER GOES......(more CANCER)

I NEVER saw him quit on the field. In fact, the only time I remember him being pushed around is his year's Pittsburgh game.

Suffice to say, I disagree with you on this.

I NEVER saw him quit on the field. In fact, the only time I remember him being pushed around is his year's Pittsburgh game.

Suffice to say, I disagree with you on this.

Watch that pitt game again. He had something like 3 stuffs on the steelers final two possessions. He was playing hard and producing til the end. The rest of them though ...

Part of being a leader is also listening. Rex's communication style is one-way. This is how it's going to be. You don't like it? !@#$ off.

He forced a crap system down his players' throats. The players knew it wouldn't work. He did it anyway.

Result? Our two best players in Mario and Dareus went south. Is it right? No. But don't forget, these guys are human. They can be immature. They can be brats and babies, just like any other adult can.

And it takes a leader to communicate to those people. To talk with them instead of at them. To adjust.

I think dareus didn't produce as much because of the system, but he has played well when in there. Williams simply lost a step ans stopped caring. I think 2014 was the last good season he had in him, regardless of the coach. He is now a roster-fringe player.

I dont think it was Rex being pig-headed with his scheme. Dareus played well for the few minutes he was actually on the field this year.

Rex contributed to ruining Dareus by allowing his usual frat house, "do what you want, be yourself", culture.

Dareus needs a strong leader to thrive. Look how well he did at Alabama under Nick Saban.

Football players LIKE being coached. To take a phrase from parenting books "They need a coach, not a friend".

The Dareus supporters crack me up. The jerkoff is 26 years old(27 in a couple months)...and he is still "immature"? Just face facts...he conned the Bills out of 10's of millions of dollars in guaranteed money, and they are stuck with him.

Sure, but he didnt, Millions of things "could" happen everyday, but don't. I don't let what "could have" happened set my tone for reality.

...and those things that "could" happen, are much more likely to occur to the guy drag racing down a blvd, versus the average joe doing 40 MPH in the right lane.

The Dareus supporters crack me up. The jerkoff is 26 years old(27 in a couple months)...and he is still "immature"? Just face facts...he conned the Bills out of 10's of millions of dollars in guaranteed money, and they are stuck with him.

This post tells me you dont know many 26/27 year olds nowadays, and certainly don't manage them. Kids stay kids longer with every generation. Not an excuse, but you have to know it, accept it, and react/manage accordingly to get them to succeed.

Especially when we are talking about coddled professional athletes.

Not excusing their behavior, just facing the reality.