Marcell Dareus' thoughts on Rex Ryan's firing

Wayne Arnold

The Dareus supporters crack me up. The jerkoff is 26 years old(27 in a couple months)...and he is still "immature"? Just face facts...he conned the Bills out of 10's of millions of dollars in guaranteed money, and they are stuck with him.

All I'm saying is watch the games. He plays at an elite level still, and if he's healthy and not a screwup next year (prediction: he won't be one), we'll be very happy to have him.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I'm saying is watch the games. He plays at an elite level still, and if he's healthy and not a screwup next year (prediction: he won't be one), we'll be very happy to have him.

I agree 100%.

Watch that pitt game again. He had something like 3 stuffs on the steelers final two possessions. He was playing hard and producing til the end. The rest of them though ...

I think dareus didn't produce as much because of the system, but he has played well when in there. Williams simply lost a step ans stopped caring. I think 2014 was the last good season he had in him, regardless of the coach. He is now a roster-fringe player.

He still played well, yes.

It wasn't 100% his fault, but he had several plays where he was pushed around badly that game.

Nevertheless, you and I generally agree on this one.

This post tells me you dont know many 26/27 year olds nowadays, and certainly don't manage them. Kids stay kids longer with every generation. Not an excuse, but you have to know it, accept it, and react/manage accordingly to get them to succeed.

Especially when we are talking about coddled professional athletes.

Not excusing their behavior, just facing the reality.

Another excellent point. I manage millenials. It isn't easy. AT ALL.

Just because they're millionaires, it doesn't mean they're not still millenials. They are. And the "in your face" style of management is exactly what NOT to do. However, the "do whatever you want," style is also not going to be effective. Finding the happy medium is the challenge and a weak leader will never be successful. See: Rex Ryan

I NEVER saw him quit on the field. In fact, the only time I remember him being pushed around is his year's Pittsburgh game.

Suffice to say, I disagree with you on this.

He chased down Jarvis Landry last week and tripped him up on a hustle play. He's definitely not a quitter.

Funny thing about Dareus is that he creates all his own bad press.

If the guy was more mature and had better personal character, he would be among the most respected Bills players on this team "like a Kyle Williams" kind of guy.

Dude is like a spoiled rich kid who is just going to do whatever he wants to do because he lacks that personal character.

Everybody knows the guy is a good player on the field with the potential to be among the greatest. The thing stopping him from being the "greatest" is himself. And that is why Bills fans crap on the guy. And rightfully so.

Another excellent point. I manage millenials. It isn't easy. AT ALL.

Just because they're millionaires, it doesn't mean they're not still millenials. They are. And the "in your face" style of management is exactly what NOT to do. However, the "do whatever you want," style is also not going to be effective. Finding the happy medium is the challenge and a weak leader will never be successful. See: Rex Ryan

You may have seen this video making its way around Facebook recently. It is an AMAZING little clip. Not only about the challenge of leading Millennials, but also the challenges Millennials face themselves, most of which also apply to all of us in this modern, technical age.

15 minutes, but worth every second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAtNduPFmI

Edited by DrDareustein

JJ watt was taken later than Marcell in the same draft....damn I would have loved to have JJ on the bills instead of big puff

Not to derail the thread entirely, but that whole 1st round was ridiculously loaded. We may not see another one like that for another 20 years.

The good news is, Dareus has the talent to warrant where he was picked. He just needs the structure and coaching to get him there.

You may have seen this video making its way around Facebook recently. It is an AMAZING little clip. Not only about the challenge of leading Millennials, but also the challenges Millennials face themselves, most of which also apply to all of us in this modern, technical age.

I actually saw this on FB and saved it. I've not watched it yet, but I will this weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAtNduPFmI

If you haven't yet read Sinek's book "Start With Why", I highly recommend doing so--really smart stuff.

I actually saw this on FB and saved it. I've not watched it yet, but I will this weekend!

It's pretty good.

I already instituted a "No Device (phone, tablet, laptop) in Meetings" rule.

People will say "Shouldnt professionals (athletes or business) know to pay attention in meetings? How can they be so immature?".

It's not just Millennials or spoiled Athletes. Everyone does it. My 58 year old Owner (successful millionaire) is the WORST at it.

It's too easy and tempting to check email, check FB, be not engaged, with the device sitting there. If you need to take notes (which you should), bring a pad and pen.

If you haven't yet read Sinek's book "Start With Why", I highly recommend doing so--really smart stuff.

Thanks for the headsup, I just added it to my Amazon list!

It's pretty good.

I already instituted a "No Device (phone, tablet, laptop) in Meetings" rule.

People will say "Shouldnt professionals (athletes or business) know to pay attention in meetings? How can they be so immature?".

It's not just Millennials or spoiled Athletes. Everyone does it. My 58 year old Owner (successful millionaire) is the WORST at it.

It's too easy and tempting to check email, check FB, be not engaged, with the device sitting there. If you need to take notes (which you should), bring a pad and pen.

Thanks for the headsup, I just added it to my Amazon list!

Agree. Whenever someone comes into my office to talk, I turn my monitor off. Between emails and IMs, something pops up on my screen at least every 20 seconds. They know they have my attention. They also know I expect theirs when we have a conversation that I'm initiating. Mutual respect is huge.