Marcell Dareus' thoughts on Rex Ryan's firing

Wayne Arnold

https://www.facebook.com/JosinaAndersonESPN/posts/1313598585363788:0

via Josina Anderson:

My full phone conversation with Buffalo Bills DT Marcell Dareus on Rex Ryan's firing:

On his reaction to Rex Ryan being relieved of his duties:

“I like Rex (Ryan) personally. I don’t like to see anyone get fired. At the same time I feel like everybody’s job is on the line. Everyone is fighting for their position. So, we’re at a point where we have to make a change—not everyone in the building.”

“My prayers go out to his family, to him and his brother. I wish him the best of luck, but we got to make this run. It’s looking like next year is going to have to be that year, and I hope we make the best decision for that to happen.”

On his thoughts on the Bills defense now:

“I feel like we have a pretty good team on paper and we have phenomenal athletes, phenomenal players. We have to play. Just put us in the position, and let us play. His defense and the way he coached it was great, but his defense was a little much for the athletes that we have…Over the years that I have been here, there were just so many coaching changes.”

On why the defense seemed to regress under Ryan:

“I feel like we should’ve been just more aggressive on defense…because that’s the kind of players that we have. We want to put our foot on the pedal and keep it down knowing what we’re doing, and being strategic on what we’re doing. Not trying to matchup with this team, or that team. We want to have our identity (knowing) this is who we are, and what we’re going to do.”

“It was just too much detail for a lot of guys, and I feel like for a lot of guys it was too much going on for them to check here and check there, if this happens and that happens. Then nine times out of ten, a team will throw something out there that we weren’t prepared for, and then the adjustment to it, we had to get use to and try to make it happen and make plays.”

On when he thinks things turned for the worse for the defense during Ryan’s tenure:

“I feel like things changed when Aaron (Williams) got hurt…communication just started to (fall) off, not just on the back end, but across the whole board for the defense. Then, people started getting hurt, injuries started occurring. We started to bring people in and communication was just thrown off.”

“We’ve learned the defense this year and we have played it pretty fast and we have played it pretty good, but with injuries brings new players (and) younger players up; and from there you have more injuries. Then from there you simplify the defense to the point where everyone can play fast. There always was just constantly a change with whatever was going on and how everybody was playing it.”

On his thoughts on Anthony Lynn being named interim head coach:

‘We have one game left and we have to go out there and end on a good note. We’re playing for our organization…and we’re also playing for our jobs, just as much as his.”

“It was just too much detail for a lot of guys, and I feel like for a lot of guys it was too much going on for them to check here and check there, if this happens and that happens. Then nine times out of ten, a team will throw something out there that we weren’t prepared for, and then the adjustment to it, we had to get use to and try to make it happen and make plays.”

On when he thinks things turned for the worse for the defense during Ryan’s tenure:

“I feel like things changed when Aaron (Williams) got hurt…communication just started to (fall) off, not just on the back end, but across the whole board for the defense. Then, people started getting hurt, injuries started occurring. We started to bring people in and communication was just thrown off.”

“We’ve learned the defense this year and we have played it pretty fast and we have played it pretty good, but with injuries brings new players (and) younger players up; and from there you have more injuries. Then from there you simplify the defense to the point where everyone can play fast. There always was just constantly a change with whatever was going on and how everybody was playing it.”

‘We have one game left and we have to go out there and end on a good note. We’re playing for our organization…and we’re also playing for our jobs, just as much as his.”

Edited by Wayne Arnold

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give two shites about what Marcell Dareus thinks.

Shut up.

Show up.

And play the damn game with the God-given gifts you have.

If he had done that and put down the wacky weed we'd have a berth in the Playoffs now.

I think it's a combination of the wacky weed and and the hunger it likely causes...I know I've written this a million times on this board...But when Dareus came out he was a lean 319 lb monster...He showed up at his first camp huge and has never got close to that 319 again...If the kid would get serious about diet and nutrition he would literally be unstoppable... B-)

Marcel says Rex's defense was too detailed.

What he REALLY means is that these players are too stupid to run a defense that has worked for many a player in the past, but it was over the heads of the current roster.

A good coach will create a scheme that will accent a player's strengths, not force a system down their throats.

That said, successful teams have intelligent players, not just athletes. That's on Whaley.

I was not impressed years ago when Pollian brought in Marv Levy, but was pleasantly surprised. I'm going to adopt the same attitude with this new hire, but I fully expect status quo until Pegula cleans house and brings in legitimate management.

I'm sad to say I predict we'll hit 20 years before we see the playoffs.

Sigh.

What he REALLY means is that these players are too stupid to run a defense that has worked for many a player in the past, but it was over the heads of the current roster.

A good coach will create a scheme that will accent a player's strengths, not force a system down their throats.

That said, successful teams have intelligent players, not just athletes. That's on Whaley.

I was not impressed years ago when Pollian brought in Marv Levy, but was pleasantly surprised. I'm going to adopt the same attitude with this new hire, but I fully expect status quo until Pegula cleans house and brings in legitimate management.

Sigh.

I was gonna read the playbook but I got high.

Sigh.

Not really, I don't think that's what he meant. I've notice in every game since Rex has had this defense that the players aren't playing instinctively and aggressively like they did with Schwartz. They're reacting to plays which puts them on their heels when they should be running down hill and attacking instead. You don't need a complicated defense, this isn't 1996 and Rex can't let that go.

translation...

i'm a penetrating DT....i'm not a Nose Tackle.

play me where I like and I might try harder.

Well...Not saying it's right for him to give less effort...

But he's not a NT...Never was...He just acquired it because he can't keep his weight at a manageable level... B-)

translation...

i'm a penetrating DT....i'm not a Nose Tackle.

play me where I like and I might try harder.

Exactly. I am still stunned that Rex didn't ask to sign a Nose Tackle and move Dareus to DE. Just very odd that a defensive mind like Rex couldn't see what casual fans could. You don't pay 100 million to a nose tackle. Dareus's value is pushing the pocket in the QB's face.

I hate this guy but, we should go back to the 43 draft a CB and a few safeties and we will be back to having a decent defense. Sign a RT and the line will be fine. Resign Woods and the WR's are fine. Go get Cutler and Cardale can back him up and draft the Miami QB in rd 3.

Dareus' thoughts on Rex being fired does nothing for me. Ask Kyle, ask Zach Brown, and Lorenzo Alexander. Guys who actually took the season seriously on defense.

It just reminds me of the Dave Chappelle stand up where he was saying how when 9/11 happened, mtv was like, "we have Jah Rule on the line, jah, what can you make of the sad situation in ny?" and Chappelle was like, "nobody cares what Jah has to say. You think i be in a crisis situation and i say, oh my God, what would jah rule do in this situation? Where is jah?" Lol

But i must say, it WAS interesting how (without naming names) he said the defense was too complex for some players. Hmmmmm

Edited by HuSeYiN_NYC

I give two shites about what Marcell Dareus thinks.

Shut up.

Show up.

And play the damn game with the God-given gifts you have.

If he had done that and put down the wacky weed we'd have a berth in the Playoffs now.

Maybe if he did the above, Rex would still be around? Dareus is a douche.

I think it's a combination of the wacky weed and and the hunger it likely causes...I know I've written this a million times on this board...But when Dareus came out he was a lean 319 lb monster...He showed up at his first camp huge and has never got close to that 319 again...If the kid would get serious about diet and nutrition he would literally be unstoppable... B-)

This!!! I alway laugh at his published weight. LOL

I wonder if he got upset after being asked about Rex's tenure and Lynn being named interim coach three times, each.

I know right? I was reading and im like, damn, this reporter just asked him that, and Dareus must have had a sarcastic face while answering him in the exact words he did the previous time.

Then they had a battle and the reporter asked him again and Dareus replied with the SAME answer word for word. Dareus won that interview.