Jairus Byrd Benched in New Orleans

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a giant Whaley fan but I'm pretty sure we tried to re-sign Byrd.

I think it would have set a bad tone to the rest of the team if we didn't make him a respectable offer, he was considered a talented safety at the time.

He suffered a pretty big knee injury at age 28 hard age to come back from a serious injury. Never seemed to be the same after that injury this year or last. At least he was able to get his big contract and cashed in on three years of it. Good decision for the Bills to not sign him although few knew at the time, he was a very good player with the Bills.

He suffered a pretty big knee injury at age 28 hard age to come back from a serious injury. Never seemed to be the same after that injury this year or last. At least he was able to get his big contract and cashed in on three years of it. Good decision for the Bills to not sign him although few knew at the time, he was a very good player with the Bills.

I was glad we let him go. I have to admit, I was surprised by the drop off in production.

Gilmore has some of that "Bad-Jairus" in him.

Talented......but an entitled clock watcher with a figurative copy of the CBA where his playbook should be.

Part of that is on the organization by not putting these players in a position to win.......and therefore care more about the results.

The Bills dodged many future bullets when ol' Eugene opted out early.

• 2 months later...

Please stop.

Whaley offered Byrd 7.5/yr over 6. $30 mil in the first 3 years. They absolutely wanted to keep him.

If they knew they would lose him to FA, you would hope they would have done a better job ensuring they would have received a compensatory pick for him(likely a late third rounder). Instead, they needed to sign Chris Williams, Keith Rivers, Anthony Dixon, and Jarius Wynn.

Gilmore has some of that "Bad-Jairus" in him.

Talented......but an entitled clock watcher with a figurative copy of the CBA where his playbook should be.

Part of that is on the organization by not putting these players in a position to win.......and therefore care more about the results.

The Bills dodged many future bullets when ol' Eugene opted out early.

Neither were very good tacklers. Byrd had other in the box safeties, so he was more the center fielder.

Byrd should be concerned, this is the same coach speak Payton gave before cutting Spiller.

I wonder if the plan is to shop him this offseason, with the intention of unloading him or possibly restructuring. I still think he has time left in the NFL somewhere, but probably at a lower cost.

Rob Ryan isn't in NO this season. How do you explain the fact that the Saints' D remains putrid?

They are ranked 26, which is up from 31 last year. They also give up 40 less yards per game this year as well.

What happened to Byrd?

He was a good player here. At least I thought so!

Injuries. Plus, I actually think Jauron was great with Defensive back. He moved Byrd from corner to S and George Wilson from receiver to S.

Amazing downfall.

He was such a ballhawk. Loved watching him play on the Bills.

So many of his interceptions seemed more luck than skill. For example, he'd be out of position but the ball would get tipped to him.

I was never a huge Byrd fan - unless we're talking about Butch Byrd.

Rob Ryan isn't in NO this season. How do you explain the fact that the Saints' D remains putrid?

rampant injuries in the secondary is at least part of it. at one point byrd was literally the only starter in the secondary left standing and they were starting street free agents around him.

for stretches the unit has played very well but been very inconsistent.

They are ranked 26, which is up from 31 last year. They also give up 40 less yards per game this year as well.

also true - and thats despite having what i think was a rougher go of it with injuries year over year and being extremely limited by dead money in adding talent to the unit.

So what you are saying is that a guy Whaley wanted to keep, who left for more money, and is now being benched is somehow an example of Whaley's drafting and team building prowess? :huh:

Elway drafted and wanted t keep Brock Osweiler at $16M a year. People keep saying what a genius he is for letting him walk. You have a number with a player and you hold firm even if it isn't a popular decision. That's something that GMs deserve credit for if they turn out to be right even if they got a little lucky. I think that's what Augie is trying to say.

J Byrd was a ball hawk.....but, as a cover goy, he wan't much at all. And, he was slow...slower than the lb's the bills had during his time here. Whaley did a good job not overpaying for Byrd. thank god the he didn't take the Bills (still) substantial offer...yes, he got more money.......Whaley really gave the Saints a torpedo below the water line on this one.

To me Byrd was fulfilling his dad's dreams and expectations more than his own. He was a ball hawk but was poor in tackling and run support. Never played with the passion of someone with something to prove.

I must watch the games wrong. I thought he was an excellent tackler by I think it was his third year.

I must watch the games wrong. I thought he was an excellent tackler by I think it was his third year.

That is how I remember it as well......solid tackler. People talked about him being slow but often found himself in the right place.

We are gonna need depth next year....anyone want him back at a greatly reduced price?

Levitre?

He's another one.

I was skewered here for having the temerity to call him a half guard. He was technically sound, but too often got his ass handed to him at the LOS. And that was further exposed after he elected to sign elsewhere.

He's another one.

I was skewered here for having the temerity to call him a half guard. He was technically sound, but too often got his ass handed to him at the LOS. And that was further exposed after he elected to sign elsewhere.

He is playing really well in Atlanta I think they run a ZBS.

He is playing really well in Atlanta I think they run a ZBS.

That's true. Perhaps I should cut him some slack. His technical proficiency lends itself well to a zone scheme as he demonstrated here at times. But there are times you have to match power to power and he loses too frequently and thus wasn't worth what he was looking for here, imo. A decent player, but not close to a star player.

That's true. Perhaps I should cut him some slack. His technical proficiency lends itself well to a zone scheme as he demonstrated here at times. But there are times you have to match power to power and he loses too frequently and thus wasn't worth what he was looking for here, imo. A decent player, but not close to a star player.

I know he is a T rex....but I think he could play RT better then Jordan Mills

I know he is a T rex....but I think he could play RT better then Jordan Mills

Haha. Levitre may be versatile in that he can play all the positions in a pinch, the couple times he was asked to pinch in due to injuries here were a disaster, whether it was at T or C.

I would add that in addition to returning to a zone scheme, the biggest improvement in Levitre's game is a result of playing between Matthews and Mack.

You were watching correctly. He really developed into a tremendous open field tackler. He had a couple All Pro caliber seasons with us. We definitely got his best years out of him.