Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Like "In God We Trust" on our money. It was added in the 50's as a reaction to Communism. Ditto for "One nation under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. Added long after the fact.

Not sure about Poles but the Irish were treated like sub-humans for years.

Definitely happened to us poles as well. Not to the extent of black people but definitely discriminated against. I know of a few families that change their last names in order to "fit in".

I really don't remember hearing of any Irish or Polish slaves in the US. If I'm wrong, I'd be very interested in learning the truth.

Wasn't referring to here in the U.S. The Poles were enslaved during the Nazi occupation of Poland, on top of millions that were killed during WW2. Irish were enslaved by the English. The point is, racism is not just an American issue, it's a worldwide issue. Some, like Kapernick, only see it as an an American problem and that law enforcement/government hates African Americans, and that's far from the truth. People are too quick to judge and place labels on others.

Wasn't referring to here in the U.S. The Poles were enslaved during the Nazi occupation of Poland, on top of millions that were killed during WW2. Irish were enslaved by the English. The point is, racism is not just an American issue, it's a worldwide issue. Some, like Kapernick, only see it as an an American problem and that law enforcement/government hates African Americans, and that's far from the truth. People are too quick to judge and place labels on others.

I'm certain Kaeperneck can attest to that.

I am aware of those instances. I took this discussion to be about the US.

I don't think it's fair to white people that the game has to be played with brown footballs. Every freakin' game! Where are all the white footballs? We are losing our country.

Lmao!!

Pool is played with a white ball having to hit a bunch of colored balls.

Bowling is played with a black ball having to knock down ten white pins with rednecks.

True Story from the Life of Hopeful.

When our baby was just shy of 9 months old and baby/mom more or less recovered from various complications, the Hopeful family made a decision to finally have a date night, sans baby, to celebrate my birthday. We went all out: reservations to a trendy restaurant for dinner; excellent tickets to see STOMP!, the familiar caregiver from her excellent daycare as a very well-paid babysitter.

That was September 11, 2000.

After discussion and some phone calls to the restaurant and the venue, we decided to proceed with the planned evening. We figured what the terrorists are after is getting in everyone's head and disrupting normal life, so if we stay home, they win that small victory. So off we went. The restaurant was out of flown-in stuff, like fresh fish, but otherwise good.

I don't know if STOMP always starts that way, but just before the starting time, the venue went pitch black, even the small aisle lights. Into the darkness came the sound of a lone bugle, playing our National Anthem. At the crescendo, three spotlights lit up our flag. I guarantee there wasn't a dry eye in the house that night.

That's how I "get" our flag and our national anthem - as an enduring symbol that our nation, flaws and warts and stumbles and tragedies, is fundamentally strong and good and will continue and evolve.

2000 huh? :oops:

:lol:

I don't think it's fair to white people that the game has to be played with brown footballs. Every freakin' game! Where are all the white footballs? We are losing our country.

Yea but that's white people so who cares?

Lmao!!

Pool is played with a white ball having to hit a bunch of colored balls.

Bowling is played with a black ball having to knock down ten white pins with rednecks.

Basketball is played with an orange ball that gets smashed on the floor repeatedly before being thrown into an orange hoop. #ompalompalivesmatter

I'm certain Kaeperneck can attest to that.

I am aware of those instances. I took this discussion to be about the US.

Not to take away from the suffering of African Americans and Native Americans, but it should be noted that significant proportion of early European settlers came to this country as "indentured servants", which is pretty close to slavery but for a set time of 7 years. Some volunteered as a way of escaping jail or poverty in Europe, many were forced to come over in payment for debts. Conditions not as bad as black slavery in the 1800s, but at the time slaves and indentured servants were treated pretty similarly. Just food for thought in the discussion.

FWIW, youre doing a good job of keeping the moral high ground, thank you. As for CK the individual I would have to agree with your arguments. America is all about the First Amendment, I get it.

The problem is CK is not acting in his individual capacity, hes acting in his capacity as an NFL superstar who is breaking his written contract with the NFL and his unwritten contract with NFL fans that he will toe the company line in exchange for high privilege and million of dollars to play a useless game solely for our entertainment. This opportunity comes courtesy of the people of America via an exemption to the Anti-Trust Act that allows the NFL to rake in billions and pass some 12 million dollars of it to CK.

When I joined the military I gave up my right to sit out the National Anthem, and they never paid me anything like 12 million dollars.

CK can exercise his right all he wants if he quits NFL football and gets a job, say, as a law enforcement officer where he can push community policing and fair treatment of all citizens in a meaningful way.

I still fail to understand why people care about what professional athletes say/think. The NFL ain't exactly a brain trust.

I'm convinced it's all just to stir up ****. Of course in Kaep's case, it helps keep him in the spotlight once he loses his job to this guy.

Yea but that's white people so who cares?

Basketball is played with an orange ball that gets smashed on the floor repeatedly before being thrown into an orange hoop. #ompalompalivesmatter

True, but you have to consider that baseball is played with a white ball and repeatedly smacked by mulatto or black bats only to be engulfed by brown gloves. WTF is that all about?

True, but you have to consider that baseball is played with a white ball and repeatedly smacked by mulatto or black bats only to be engulfed by brown gloves. WTF is that all about?

then you got hockey. Bunch of drunk Russians and Canadians skating on white ice, hitting a black puck with mulatto sticks into Irish nets.

"This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," (Kaepernick) said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."

Symptom #1: Obliviousness to irony.

And who let Donald Trump's tanning salon determine the color of NBA basketballs?

@SBNationNFL

The 49ers say the national anthem is a special part of pregame, but the team backs Kaepernick’s right to protest.

https://t.co/eKMD19rrKs

Some consultant just made $30k for feeding that line of bull for the 9ers to spew.

While I disapprove of what that asshat said and did, I will defend to the death the asshat's right to say it

Freedom of asshattery is an inherent Constitutional right, without which the Internet would not be the place we all know and love today

Edited by /dev/null

And who let Donald Trump's tanning salon determine the color of NBA basketballs?

Now this was objectively funny! And it d*mn near cost me a keyboard

While I disapprove of what that asshat said and did, I will defend to the death the asshat's right to say it

Freedom of asshattery is an inherent Constitutional right, without which the Internet would not be the place we all know and love today

Well said

I don't think it's about the national anthem. He's just warming up for his game time position.

Well played, sir!

because we elected a black president, that means there's no more racism?

It's in November. Every year.

And Polish Americans and Irish Americans share October and Irish American history month is in March. But only black american history month is taught in schools- at least the ones around here. Not Native American, Irish, Italian, Polish or any other that I'm aware of.

So if a student complains that they only get one month, as in the example that started all of this, then to respond that they are lucky to have one celebrated is not inappropriate, IMO. Are you saying that the student was correct and they deserve more? If so, why and to what purpose?

Edited by vincec

Thought this was an interesting history lesson on the anthem and sporting events. I recall seeing it when it first came out in ESPN magazine after 9/11.

'The Star-Spangled Banner' is an OK song for what it is, but I've always felt 'America The Beautiful' best captured America and all it encompasses.

It could be a lot worse

Among the most controversial of all Supreme Court decisions happened in 1989, when a divided Court allowed flag burning as protected free speech.

Now there's an idea

October 16th, 49ers at Bills.

Instead of burning the American flag, burn Crapernick jerseys

He has the right to do it. That right is provided for under the constitution of this country, which tens of thousands have died to defend.

Not respecting the anthem on that point alone make him a f'ing jerk. There's no valor in his charade. Get out there and support what you believe in for real vs. Making a statement on the sideline like a pu$$y.

Edited by Stormin Norman