Kaepernick and the National Anthem

He's a phony. He is feigning concern to help his brand.

Anyway, he should be knee deep in p*ssy when he's away from football and not concern himself about such things.

Good to know that you can get inside his head to understand his motives are disingenuous when this will clearly do anything but "help his brand". It takes a big pair to adopt this kind of protest when you know there will be plenty of backlash.

Nothing wrong with showing respect for the country that allowed everyone to assemble in freedom and relative safety. After all, where do americans assemble in such masses?

I agree about canning the jet flyovers though.

He is protesting what he perceives (correct or not) as oppresions of blacks. Which goes against the freedoms you want him to respect. Get it?

Stuff like this always reminds me of one of my high school teachers, granted I'm sure he was a little racist.

Black student: How come black people only get one month for black history month.

Teacher: *looks my way* When's Polish history month?

Me: *shrugs*

Teacher: *looks at another student* When's Irish history month?

other student: *shrugs*

Teacher: *looks back at black student* Be happy you got one.

Ahhhhh, the old white guy wanting to know where his special day is.

Edited by stony

Huh?

How is that racist?

the poster said it was racist, I agreed. Probably because the teacher ignored that fact that part of the reason black history month is recognized is because of the injustices done to blacks throughout our history and the need to recognize their contributions to this country, but not just as slaves.

he has the right to act as he chooses, that is what is great about our country (ironically). he also has the right to be booed by his fans (if they choose) or to be criticized by people who think his stance is misguided.

maybe a tour of syria might give him some perspective.

so we are better than Syria ? Setting the bar pretty high, aren't we?

I am not so sure we have Jethro Tull in it so Syria would need to be pretty bad.

OK how about Mexico, Colombia (basically all of South America), China, Russia, Eastern Europe and the entire continent of Africa.

since we are better than other countries, just sit down( or stand up in this case) and shut up. Don't exercise your freedoms unless you have permission too.

Kaepernick was downright dreadful in Friday night's preseason game, looking entirely uncomfortable in new coach Chip Kelly's offense. If the 49ers aren't going to start Kaepernick, they have three options -- trade him, pay him $12 million not to play, or grant Kaepernick his release. If the 49ers opt to keep Kap around, that $12 million figure will be an awfully large bullet to bite.

2/6 for 14 yards

I think he just wants out of SF and the Chipper

the poster said it was racist, I agreed. Probably because the teacher ignored that fact that part of the reason black history month is recognized is because of the injustices done to blacks throughout our history and the need to recognize their contributions to this country, but not just as slaves.

Yes but injustices were done to a lot of people - American Indians, Japanese who were put in concentration camps while men were allowed to fight in Europe Only, etc. Not satisfactory answer. As a teacher you should point that out AND that it was done for political reasons.

Yes but injustices were done to a lot of people - American Indians, Japanese who were put in concentration camps while men were allowed to fight in Europe Only, etc. Not satisfactory answer. As a teacher you should point that out AND that it was done for political reasons.

You are correct, injustices were done to a lot of people, and they still are, including to blacks.

Over 200 years of slavery, followed by decades of segregation policies. Comparing the injustices done to others will always fall short imo.

Kaepernick was downright dreadful in Friday night's preseason game, looking entirely uncomfortable in new coach Chip Kelly's offense. If the 49ers aren't going to start Kaepernick, they have three options -- trade him, pay him $12 million not to play, or grant Kaepernick his release. If the 49ers opt to keep Kap around, that $12 million figure will be an awfully large bullet to bite.
2/6 for 14 yards
I think he just wants out of SF and the Chipper

Depends if his contract has a clause in it like San Diego is insisting Bosa's have - they do not need to pay for double dipping.

Great point.

No, its not.

The only thing still holding this disparate bag of conflicting factions we call America together is a shared sense of patriotism.

We no longer worship the same God (if any), hold the same values, hang out at the same places, watch the same entertainment, etc. etc. We barely speak the same language anymore and sure as hell don't share a sense of filial kinship.

The one thing we still have (for now) is a sense that at least we live in a country where our differences can be strengths, and we can come together to acknowledge our equal shares in an inclusive society by standing together as one for the National Anthem.

By refusing to stand, he not only contributes to the decline of this shared ideal, he tells me personally he does not want to share his world with me, his fellow American.

IMO, he's just being a privileged rich athlete trying to justify the fact he gets paid millions of dollars to do nothing of real value for society.

And BTW, if America has lost Buffalo, we've lost the Nation.

Joe out.

Expressing his POV is what we call freedom in this great country. If you want him to adhere to only expressions of love, then maybe you should try out North Korea to see how you like it there.

Kaepernick has so much credibility. After all, earning millions of dollars playing a game is the epitome of oppression.

Over 200 years of slavery, followed by decades of segregation policies. Comparing the injustices done to others will always fall short imo.

The US destroying American Indian populations to take land killing millions and isolating them into reservations will always surpass that IMO.

I've never really understood it either.

The part I appreciate is the games where they honor a veteran, that's a cool tradition thanking someone specifically for what they've done.

But I don't really get the national anthem.

True Story from the Life of Hopeful.

When our baby was just shy of 9 months old and baby/mom more or less recovered from various complications, the Hopeful family made a decision to finally have a date night, sans baby, to celebrate my birthday. We went all out: reservations to a trendy restaurant for dinner; excellent tickets to see STOMP!, the familiar caregiver from her excellent daycare as a very well-paid babysitter.

That was September 11, 2000.

After discussion and some phone calls to the restaurant and the venue, we decided to proceed with the planned evening. We figured what the terrorists are after is getting in everyone's head and disrupting normal life, so if we stay home, they win that small victory. So off we went. The restaurant was out of flown-in stuff, like fresh fish, but otherwise good.

I don't know if STOMP always starts that way, but just before the starting time, the venue went pitch black, even the small aisle lights. Into the darkness came the sound of a lone bugle, playing our National Anthem. At the crescendo, three spotlights lit up our flag. I guarantee there wasn't a dry eye in the house that night.

That's how I "get" our flag and our national anthem - as an enduring symbol that our nation, flaws and warts and stumbles and tragedies, is fundamentally strong and good and will continue and evolve.

The US destroying American Indian populations to take land killing millions and isolating them into reservations will always surpass that IMO.

Both advantaged this country greatly and free labor system allowed the United States to become an economic super power.

No, its not.

The only thing still holding this disparate bag of conflicting factions we call America together is a shared sense of patriotism.

We no longer worship the same God (if any), hold the same values, hang out at the same places, watch the same entertainment, etc. etc. We barely speak the same language anymore and sure as hell don't share a sense of filial kinship.

The one thing we still have (for now) is a sense that at least we live in a country where our differences can be strengths, and we can come together to acknowledge our equal shares in an inclusive society by standing together as one for the National Anthem.

By refusing to stand, he not only contributes to the decline of this shared ideal, he tells me personally he does not want to share his world with me, his fellow American.

IMO, he's just being a privileged rich athlete trying to justify the fact he gets paid millions of dollars to do nothing of real value for society.

And BTW, if America has lost Buffalo, we've lost the Nation.

Joe out.

nothing says freedom more than being forced to worship the same god, speak the same language.... basically told to live a certain way in all aspects of our lives.

the poster said it was racist, I agreed. Probably because the teacher ignored that fact that part of the reason black history month is recognized is because of the injustices done to blacks throughout our history...

Yeah, but then another guy pointed out that electing a black president erased all that. So we good?

The whole national anthem/flag/military honor guard/military jet flyover thing that is now associated with sports in this country is flat out bizarre and really has nothing to do with watching sports.

Some of it is flat out paid for by the military as a marketing ploy.

Get rid of all of it.

If it wasn't for the Military,and out Vets, you wouldn't be in a position to be offering an absurd opinion.

When is native american history month?

The idea of America and the reality of America are different things.

The idea of America is there to see in our public record: the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, "The New Colossus" poem on the Statue of Liberty, MLK's dream speech, etc.

When I served in the army - and when I stand for the national anthem - I do it for those ideas: liberty, justice, equality, and so on.

Kap sees that reality falls short of the ideas and it disturbs him. Fair enough. But to be consistent, he should likewise refuse to wear a 49er uniform. I'm sure some of his teammates are racist and/or have other character flaws.

Sadly some Americans fall short of ideal, as do some 49ers. You don't solve this by disrespecting the idea of country or team.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Get the !@#$ out then Colin you pos.....you always respect your country's anthem no matter what your view points....

A country that has provided him millions of dollars to sling a football in which he basically sucks at

Let's get it straight. It's not the country that's provided him with this opportunity, it's a commercial enterprise called NFL Football. And one of the things that flag and anthem symbolize, is his enduring right to speak his mind freely, provided he doesn't endanger anyone else by so doing. Kind of ironic, ultimately, but people who set out to make grand empty gestures are usually not perceptive to irony.

Yeah, but then another guy pointed out that electing a black president erased all that. So we good?

because we elected a black president, that means there's no more racism?

When is native american history month?

It's in November. Every year.