Kaepernick and the National Anthem

It could be a lot worse

Among the most controversial of all Supreme Court decisions happened in 1989, when a divided Court allowed flag burning as protected free speech.

Never understood the controversy and have always strongly opposed any amendment to make flag burning illegal because, after all, you cannot make the symbol more important than the very right it represents. I'd rather the flag be burned in protest than see groups like the KKK and Neo-Nazis wrap themselves in it. It's never been about the flag, always about the freedom it represents.

It's interesting that in 1968 activists like Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin were vilified for wearing American flag shirts and now they make flag underwear.

Edited by K-9

I've been to plenty of Bills games where douchebags don't remove their hats, talk through the anthem and start cheering before it's done. That to me is more disrespectful.

This young man believes strongly enough in something to be willing to lose endorsements and take flak from a bunch of ignorant losers because of his principles. Let us not forget that dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

i cannot believe the latitude some are giving this jerk.. maybe because im old, i dont get it. but i suspect a majority of guys sitting around with beers probably feel this guy is a flaming a$$hat.. case closed.. but as i sit and read all tthe hand-wringing of the "open -minded people" people, it baffles me.. surprised so many wimps permeate this board.. again.. JMHO..

Edited by dwight in philly

Not respecting the anthem on that point alone make him a f'ing jerk.

Quite honestly I have no problem with him not standing during the National Anthem to make a point.

But what makes him a f'ing jerk is that it's difficult to take seriously the point that this country is oppressing black people when that point is being made by a black man who is being paid $19M a year to play a game.

If that's oppression, I'm a gonna git me some.

Why make him into a martyr? That's likely what he is aiming for.

Just make fun of him.

If we are deciding to make fun of him I think that he looks like the celery from the Bison games (I have a picture that I'm trying to attach but can't). Trust me, it's funny Edited by Kirby Jackson

Quite honestly I have no problem with him not standing during the National Anthem to make a point.

But what makes him a f'ing jerk is that it's difficult to take seriously the point that this country is oppressing black people when that point is being made by a black man who is being paid $19M a year to play a game.

If that's oppression, I'm a gonna git me some.

He's only half black. What people don't really know is that in his contract he gets paid 15m for his white half but only 4m for his black half.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Get the !@#$ out then Colin you pos.....you always respect your country's anthem no matter what your view points....

A country that has provided him millions of dollars to sling a football in which he basically sucks at

Mr Kapernic should move to Canada and play in the CFL. He would have to take a pay cut to $200K but he wouldn't feel oppressed! So he would have that!

If we are deciding to make fun of him I think that he looks like the celery from the Bison games (I have a picture that I'm trying to attach but can't). Trust me, it's funny

hahaha, I looked it up!

It's because his eyes are so close together.

Meh, he's a clown, and will only further embarrass himself (and any movement he attaches himself to).

i think Kaepernick saw a Muhammad Ali documentary and thought he was making a great stand. Personally, I think Kaepernick is just dumb and doesn't realize there are so many other better ways to make a difference.

I couldn't imagine not standing for the anthem but it's what our country is founded on. Probably the folks most angry are also the same ones who want the 2nd amendment protected at all costs and insult the president.

So while it's his right, it's hard to be taken that serious by a guy making millions of dollars (as a backup qb) who looks more middle eastern by the way. I'd love to see all the time Kaep is spending in the inner city, money he's donated, or one he spend trying not to improve police relationships.

There are some very messed up things that have been happening in this country. It's embarrassing all the issues we still have with race in 2016. And there are some very real issues. But when I watch the Olympics, I see countries that all have people that pretty much look a like. And then I see US and it is a melting point and I love that about this country.

He's only half black. What people don't really know is that in his contract he gets paid 15m for his white half but only 4m for his black half.

Don't shoot the messenger.

lol. Post of the month!

Mr Kapernic should move to Canada and play in the CFL. He would have to take a pay cut to $200K but he wouldn't feel oppressed! So he would have that!

Why? Because he expressed his right as an American?

i cannot believe the latitude some are giving this jerk.. maybe because im old, i dont get it. but i suspect a majority of guys sitting around with beers probably feel this guy is a flaming a$$hat.. case closed.. but as i sit and read all tthe hand-wringing of the "open -minded people" people, it baffles me.. surprised so many wimps permeate this board.. again.. JMHO..

And probably some of them are using slurs to take about him. Or talking about what it means to be a real American while insulting the president.

Then please explain to me how the United States of America, led by a black man, oppresses black people and people of color.

What is it this country is specifically doing?

This is the real rub. It's one thing if Kap wants to protest oppression, it's another that he condemns our entire nation as oppressors. FU Kap, you don't know me and how I treat people otherwise you'd realize how stupid and inappropriate your viewpoint is.

Oh, I think probably most of us believe he's a flaming a$$hat, or a jerk. A few roll their eyes and wish Kaep would use whatever platform or publicity he may have to actually do something that might make a difference instead of making a misplaced gesture, but he's young.

We just believe that this country guarantees him the right to be a flaming a$$hat in public, provided he breaks no laws nor incites others to break them.

What troubles me is the expression that people who don't agree with you or condemn Kaep must be "wimps". Some of us have, or will quite likely, put ourselves in harm's way to defend this country and the freedoms and principles it stands for. We aren't willing to see those trampled on just because someone says or does something we personally disagree with. If you think that makes someone a "wimp", you are badly mistaken, sir.

I don't think being old has too much to do with it. Doubt you're the oldest around here by a long chalk.

Why? Because he expressed his right as an American?

And probably some of them are using slurs to take about him. Or talking about what it means to be a real American while insulting the president.

He has every right and be a total disrespectful ahole.

I don't care if he didn't stand; his right.

The idea that black people are systematically oppressed, however, is ridiculous when it comes from a black guy that gets paid millions to be lousy at his job.

The nation doesn't oppress minorities; individuals are responsible for racism on a case-by-case basis. It's sad and stupid, but it does happen.

Statements like Kaep's dilute the discussion and undermine the credibility of serious racial discrimination.

Oh, I think probably most of us believe he's a flaming a$$hat, or a jerk. A few roll their eyes and wish Kaep would use whatever platform or publicity he may have to actually do something that might make a difference instead of making a misplaced gesture, but he's young.

We just believe that this country guarantees him the right to be a flaming a$$hat in public, provided he breaks no laws nor incites others to break them.

What troubles me is the expression that people who don't agree with you or condemn Kaep must be "wimps". Some of us have, or will quite likely, put ourselves in harm's way to defend this country and the freedoms and principles it stands for. We aren't willing to see those trampled on just because someone says or does something we personally disagree with. If you think that makes someone a "wimp", you are badly mistaken, sir.

I don't think being old has too much to do with it. Doubt you're the oldest around here by a long chalk.

i think defending him with all the freedom rhetoric. "his right to express himself" whatever, is trite.. gets old and tiring after a while. wonder what pat tillman , if he were alive would think..

Edited by dwight in philly

He is protesting what he perceives (correct or not) as oppresions of blacks. Which goes against the freedoms you want him to respect. Get it?

understood. i just thought it a little misguided and that what he is protesting does not represent most people's beliefs or behavior. i don't see the "country" as a collective nation oppressing african americans as a systemic behavior.

but you are right, it is not my place to judge his feelings and i am sorry. i respect his right to express his beliefs and opinions.

This is the real rub. It's one thing if Kap wants to protest oppression, it's another that he condemns our entire nation as oppressors. FU Kap, you don't know me and how I treat people otherwise you'd realize how stupid and inappropriate your viewpoint is.

If this doesn't describe you, why are you getting so worked up about it?