Kaepernick and the National Anthem

I don't care if he didn't stand; his right.

The idea that black people are systematically oppressed, however, is ridiculous when it comes from a black guy that gets paid millions to be lousy at his job.

The nation doesn't oppress minorities; individuals are responsible for racism on a case-by-case basis. It's sad and stupid, but it does happen.

Statements like Kaep's dilute the discussion and undermine the credibility of serious racial discrimination.

He's somewhat of an interesting case, and he's not a thug or dumb or some type of militant. He's very smart, and grew up, adopted, in an entirely white family that he is very close with. He was a great student, does a bunch of charity work, is very religious (all his tattoos are biblical not thug life).

He's just a crappy QB.

The idea that black people are systematically oppressed, however, is ridiculous when it comes from a black guy that gets paid millions to be lousy at his job.

The nation doesn't oppress minorities; individuals are responsible for racism on a case-by-case basis. It's sad and stupid, but it does happen.

Statements like Kaep's dilute the discussion and undermine the credibility of serious racial discrimination.

The bolded just isn't true. The nation has a long history of oppressing minorities and dividing folks along ethnic and class lines. A lot of those injustices have been remedied through time because people took bold stands to fight for their freedoms, but remnants of that oppression still exist. Look at the War on Drugs and the sentence disparity between white drug abusers and minority drug abusers -- that's codified oppression built into the very justice system and it exists still today.

Disagree with the guy all you want, but let's not pretend there isn't truth to what he's "standing" for.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

Excellent post as usual. Kaep reminds me of a certain person running for office who just reads the headlines and not the whole article.

I do wish people thought about things on an individual basis. All I try to do in my life is being as respectful as I can in every interaction I have with anyone. And 99% of the time, I have great interactions.

We need to stop viewing a small minority as the majority. This is what the news and social media feeds on however. The vast majority of police are amazing at a very dangerous job. The vast majority of black people don't go around committing crimes. The vast majority of white people aren't racists. All Mexicans aren't illegally crossing the border to come commit crimes here.

Excellent post as usual. Kaep reminds me of a certain person running for office who just reads the headlines and not the whole article.

I do wish people thought about things on an individual basis. All I try to do in my life is being as respectful as I can in every interaction I have with anyone. And 99% of the time, I have great interactions.

We need to stop viewing a small minority as the majority. This is what the news and social media feeds on however. The vast majority of police are amazing at a very dangerous job. The vast majority of black people don't go around committing crimes. The vast majority of white people aren't racists. All Mexicans aren't illegally crossing the border to come commit crimes here.

And you clearly know nothing about him. ;)

The bolded just isn't true. The nation has a long history of oppressing minorities and dividing folks along ethnic and class lines. A lot of those injustices have been remedied through time because people took bold stands to fight for their freedoms, but remnants of that oppression still exist. Look at the War on Drugs and the sentence disparity between white drug abusers and minority drug abusers -- that's codified oppression built into the very justice system and it exists still today.

Disagree with the guy all you want, but let's not pretend there isn't truth to what he's "standing" for.

Oppression for people that commit crimes isn't the best example. White, black, indigo or whatever. Whether it be true or not. Edited by The Wiz

Oppression for people that commit crimes isn't the best example. White, black, indigo or whatever.

Disagree. When it's codified into law to target poor minorities that's systemic oppression of the worst kind -- especially in a country that claims "every man is equal and innocent until proven guilty".

Fair points. The War on Drugs destroyed inner cities.

Disagree. When it's codified into law to target poor minorities that's systemic oppression of the worst kind -- especially in a country that claims "every man is equal and innocent until proven guilty".

You were comparing the sentences they received. Either way they are both guilty, just duration that varies. I don't consider it oppression when drug dealers/abusers are kept off the streets no matter their color.

Also I don't think it's necessarily poor minorities that are targeted but poor neighborhoods.

Edited by The Wiz

so , just ignore ?not address?

This is way to giant of a topic to address. But there were a lot of fathers who got looked up a long time for some pretty minor drugs offenses. And this just created a very bad cycle.

Of course, this is stuff Kaepernick has never experienced.

All truth. Let's remember that when heroin addiction was seen as an inner city problem among poor blacks it was mostly ignored.

All truth. Let's remember that when heroin addiction was seen as an inner city problem among poor blacks it was mostly ignored.

It's also interesting that the average heroin use is now a 40 year old white man. And if you report an OD, they aren't allowed to arrest the person.

This is way to giant of a topic to address. But there were a lot of fathers who got looked up a long time for some pretty minor drugs offenses. And this just created a very bad cycle.

His white mother was young and poor and couldn't care for him. His black father disappeared I think before he was born. So his mom put him up for adoption.

the freakin guy is a multi-millionaire who plays a GAME..stop using his nonsense to address "societal problems"

Edited by dwight in philly

It's also interesting that the average heroin use is now a 40 year old white man. And if you report an OD, they aren't allowed to arrest the person.

Things are quite a bit different since drugs were introduced into inner city communities as part of COINTELPRO.