Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Who is attempting to take away his rights in this situation?

We're a top ten country. Anyone pretending otherwise is an absolute half-wit.

No one is, that I know of. I meant the gnashing of teeth displayed and the accusations that not standing for the pledge is a slight to the men and women who served the country and those who gave their lives for it. It's not any of those things, but I understand how some people could make that mistake. The only thing that would be a disservice to the men and women who fought for the country would be the suppression of his first amendment rights, not the expression of them however misguided they may or may not be.

Top 10 country is a meaningless measuring stick. It's not about being "better" than other countries, it's about our country being the best it possibly can be. More often than not over the past 16 years this country has not lived up to the best of its ideals. We are in a downward slide, slipping ever closer to something entirely different than a democratic republic -- and the only way to ensure that slide continues unabated is to rest on our laurels and think "we're number 1!"

I get what you're saying and I agree. I'm just saying it's not only poor minorities that are going to jail for drug dealing/abuse but everyone in those types of living environments.

Oppression/perception of a group of people hasn't changed in forever and likely never will.

Italians are overly expressive.

Irish people are drunks.

Polish people are dumb.

Black people are questionable characters.

White people from the south are rednecks.

Canadians are too polite.

Not my stance but it's a common perception.

Actually I know I'm dumb, not as much as southerners though.

:lol::lol:

:beer:

It's a pretty sordid history going all the way back to the 1920's. Hoover was something else to put things mildly.

Yup. Agree on all counts.

That's fair. I don't think we're above change, nor should we be.

Just FYI: He's basically saying that blacks get murdered and the nation doesn't care based on his quotes on PFT.

I'm with you there. :beer:

Are his constitutionally protected right to protest and an appreciation for the lifestyle he lives as a very well compensated athlete mutually exclusive to make him an ingrate?

He's a ingrate because he's to stupid to properly assess his situation and how the political system in the country he disrespects has benefited him. Never did I say he didn't have the right to say it. Never said he should be fined or jailed so I don't know why you assume I want to deny him his rights. I do hope the Niners have the option of distancing themselves from him. Shouldn't be to difficult of a decision since he kinda sucks.

He's a ingrate because he's to stupid to properly assess his situation and how the political system in the country he disrespects has benefited him. Never did I say he didn't have the right to say it. Never said he should be fined or jailed so I don't know why you assume I want to deny him his rights. I do hope the Niners have the option of distancing themselves from him. Shouldn't be to difficult of a decision since he kinda sucks.

So dissent is equivalent to disrespect in your view and that makes him stupid? I couldn't disagree any more. So the 49ers should retaliate solely for the expression of his views? Seems pretty draconian to me.

$100m contact, $60 guarantee. They won't do anything to him other than face the media backlash.

No one is, that I know of. I meant the gnashing of teeth displayed and the accusations that not standing for the pledge is a slight to the men and women who served the country and those who gave their lives for it. It's not any of those things, but I understand how some people could make that mistake. The only thing that would be a disservice to the men and women who fought for the country would be the suppression of his first amendment rights, not the expression of them however misguided they may or may not be.

Top 10 country is a meaningless measuring stick. It's not about being "better" than other countries, it's about our country being the best it possibly can be. More often than not over the past 16 years this country has not lived up to the best of its ideals. We are in a downward slide, slipping ever closer to something entirely different than a democratic republic -- and the only way to ensure that slide continues unabated is to rest on our laurels and think "we're number 1!"

:lol::lol:

:beer:

Yup. Agree on all counts.

I'm with you there. :beer:

You laugh but true story, went to visit a friend at UNC and went to a been and Jerry's. Saw three people walk up to a garbage can that they couldn't figure out how to throw out their garbage because the door was on the side and not the top.

Went and threw out mine and looked at everyone of them.

So dissent is equivalent to disrespect in your view and that makes him stupid? I couldn't disagree any more. So the 49ers should retaliate solely for the expression of his views? Seems pretty draconian to me.

I grow weary. The Billy Preston classic "Going round in circles" is playing in my head.

How many people have fought and died for his right to play football and make millions of dollars? He's a POS.

No one fought and died for his right to play football. They fought and died for his right to freely express his opinions, however ill advised they are.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

No one fought and died for his right to play football. They fought and died for his right to freely express his opinions, however ill advised they are.

And we are freely expressing our opinions that he's an idiot being manipulated by a movement based on lies, and misconceptions.