Kaepernick and the National Anthem

His white mother was young and poor and couldn't care for him. His black father disappeared I think before he was born. So his mom put him up for adoption.

I'm familiar with all this. I believe he was adopted before he could walk.

Thus, he never experienced life without a father, growing up in poverty. He has been a star athlete his whole life. He has no idea what oppression is.

The bolded just isn't true. The nation has a long history of oppressing minorities and dividing folks along ethnic and class lines. A lot of those injustices have been remedied through time because people took bold stands to fight for their freedoms, but remnants of that oppression still exist. Look at the War on Drugs and the sentence disparity between white drug abusers and minority drug abusers -- that's codified oppression built into the very justice system and it exists still today.

Disagree with the guy all you want, but let's not pretend there isn't truth to what he's "standing" for.

There are a few examples of inequality, and it's worth pointing out .

Do you think that's what Kaep is standing (or sitting) for, and why he posts a picture of the confederate flag and the American flag and claims they're the same?

Edited by thebandit27

You were comparing the sentences they received. Either way they are both guilty, just duration that varies. I don't consider it oppression when drug dealers/abusers are kept off the streets no matter their color.

Also I don't think it's necessarily poor minorities that are targeted but poor neighborhoods.

I'm comparing the laws as written. And who lives in poor neighborhoods primarily? It's not a bunch of rich white folk.

The point I'm making is that it's not true to say the system or the country doesn't oppress minorities. It has a lengthy history of doing so, remnants of that continues to this day in different forms and the War on Drugs is an excellent example of how it continues.

Things are quite a bit different since drugs were introduced into inner city communities as part of COINTELPRO.

If we want to go down that road we can, but based on how people are reacting to a man utilizing his first amendment rights to protest something he believes in -- I can't imagine that would go down well with this crowd.

the freakin guy is a multi-millionaire who plays a GAME..stop using his nonsense to address "societal problems"

Trust me, I'm not really with Kaepernick here.

But I do think it's great when athletes stand up for things. I don't see Kaep as a guy I'd want to lead the stand however and there are much better ways to do it than this.

I also wish that along with calling out bad police, more people started trying to change things in neighborhoods.

I'm comparing the laws as written. And who lives in poor neighborhoods primarily? It's not a bunch of rich white folk.

The point I'm making is that it's not true to say the system or the country doesn't oppress minorities. It has a lengthy history of doing so, remnants of that continues to this day in different forms and the War on Drugs is an excellent example of how it continues.

If we want to go down that road we can, but based on how people are reacting to a man utilizing his first amendment rights to protest something he believes in -- I can't imagine that would go down well with this crowd.

Probably too deep for this setting, but you know what I'm talking about.

If this doesn't describe you, why are you getting so worked up about it?

because he's claiming it does, and he's wrong. He's wrong about a lot of people in this country. He really needs to find a better way to protest oppression than condemning our entire nation.

There are a few examples of inequality, and it's worth pointing out .

Do you think that's what Kaep is standing (or sitting) for, and why he posts a picture of the confederate flag and the American flag and claims they're the same?

I don't know enough about Kaep's position to have an opinion to be honest. As has been said by many in this thread, I don't have to agree with a guy to fight for his right to peacefully utilize his constitutional rights to free speech and protest.

What I do find disingenuous (not saying you're doing this, or anyone really in this thread really -- I'm just speaking in a general sense) is the idea that this country is "better" than every other country so we should just shut up and be happy about what we have, kiss the flag and say thank you. That's not patriotism. That's brainwashing.

The truth is the American empire is crumbling. What we're seeing is the fallout of that and we're quickly reaching a tipping point. If we want to have a chance to keep what our forefathers fought and died to give to us -- that is a nation where we're truly free, we have to be able to have adult conversations about difficult topics without putting on blinders or acting as if there aren't serious problems facing this country.

Probably too deep for this setting, but you know what I'm talking about.

100% :beer:

I'd love to have that conversation. But it'd get too testy here. People interested should start by googling Gary Webb :ph34r:

because he's claiming it does, and he's wrong. He's wrong about a lot of people in this country. He really needs to find a better way to protest oppression than condemning our entire nation.

I don't feel condemn because I know he wasn't talking about it. You shouldn't either.

Not saying that. I'm saying that to say an adopted half black kid who was given up by his parents and raised by a white family has never faced oppression is laughable.

Possibly. But to compare it to police brutality and larger issues seems just as laughable.

But agree to disagree.

I don't know enough about Kaep's position to have an opinion to be honest. As has been said by many in this thread, I don't have to agree with a guy to fight for his right to peacefully utilize his constitutional rights to free speech and protest.

What I do find disingenuous (not saying you're doing this, or anyone really in this thread really -- I'm just speaking in a general sense) is the idea that this country is "better" than every other country so we should just shut up and be happy about what we have, kiss the flag and say thank you. That's not patriotism. That's brainwashing.

The truth is the American empire is crumbling. What we're seeing is the fallout of that and we're quickly reaching a tipping point. If we want to have a chance to keep what our forefathers fought and died to give to us -- that is a nation where we're truly free, we have to be able to have adult conversations about difficult topics without putting on blinders or acting as if there aren't serious problems facing this country.

I'd love to have that conversation. But it'd get too testy here. People interested should start by googling Gary Webb :ph34r:

Who is attempting to take away his rights in this situation?

We're a top ten country. Anyone pretending otherwise is an absolute half-wit.

Edited by FireChan

That's fair. I don't think we're above change, nor should we be.

Just FYI: He's basically saying that blacks get murdered and the nation doesn't care based on his quotes on PFT.

Cq4d6RKVMAAm0V7.jpgCq4d6RPUMAAb0Ml.jpg

Just a couple civil rights heroes fighting against oppression.

Haha. But isn't it just as laughable as Trump talking about the small loan (a million dollars)to start his business to relate to hard working Americans?

I'm not with Kaepernick because I think he's shown himself to be dumb on several occasions. But wealth doesn't mean you can't speak out on social issues.

I get what you're saying and I agree. I'm just saying it's not only poor minorities that are going to jail for drug dealing/abuse but everyone in those types of living environments.

Oppression/perception of a group of people hasn't changed in forever and likely never will.

Italians are overly expressive.

Irish people are drunks.

Polish people are dumb.

Black people are questionable characters.

White people from the south are rednecks.

Canadians are too polite.

Not my stance but it's a common perception.

Actually I know I'm dumb, not as much as southerners though.

Edited by The Wiz

Haha. But isn't it just as laughable as Trump talking about the small loan (a million dollars)to start his business to relate to hard working Americans?

I'm not with Kaepernick because I think he's shown himself to be dumb on several occasions. But wealth doesn't mean you can't speak out on social issues.

why bring up trump??? how is he pertinent in this? or is it a grasp? go to the ;political board if you want to bash a politician.. your case starts looking weak when you play the "trump" card..

I'm familiar with all this. I believe he was adopted before he could walk.

Thus, he never experienced life without a father, growing up in poverty. He has been a star athlete his whole life. He has no idea what oppression is.

Do you have to experience something to understand it?