Kaepernick and the National Anthem

Haha. But isn't it just as laughable as Trump talking about the small loan (a million dollars)to start his business to relate to hard working Americans?

I'm not with Kaepernick because I think he's shown himself to be dumb on several occasions. But wealth doesn't mean you can't speak out on social issues.

I'm not saying that.

I'm a first amendment absolutist.

But once you enter marketplace of ideas, you deserve ridicule when you're an idiot.

As Colin is learning.

why bring up trump??? how is he pertinent in this? or is it a grasp? go to the ;political board if you want to bash a politician.. your case starts looking weak when you play the "trump" card..

Holy crap. You're sensitive.

The point was that it was one very wealthy guy trying to relate to poorer people.

Definitely happened to us poles as well. Not to the extent of black people but definitely discriminated against. I know of a few families that change their last names in order to "fit in".

Are we confusing indentured servitude with out and out slavery? Many immigrants bought passage to America and other places by exchanging their labor for a set period. And you did get treated like crap but it would end eventually.

I'm not saying that.

I'm a first amendment absolutist.

But once you enter marketplace of ideas, you deserve ridicule when you're an idiot.

As Colin is learning.

In your opinion (and I've thought he was dumb long before this), he's an idiot. To others, he's standing up for oppressed people. But I generally agree with your post.

Just one weird aside Kapernick is a guy that is thought to be very intelligent. He scored a 38 on the Wonderlic (which is higher than Andrew Luck). At the same time the guy is socially tone deaf. Remember when he wore the Dolphins hat because it matched his shoes and couldnt understand why people were upset? He just generally lacks awareness which makes him and even stranger spokesman. Why is a guy that has a hard time relating to the general population speaking for the general population?

When I look at LeBron & co. they are fully engulfed in their initiatives. They go and talk to people and meet with people and educate themselves on topics before speaking their opinions. That's admirable IMO. If you want to make changes then you better fully grasp the issues that you are fighting for. Maybe Kaep has been doing that but I have not heard about his activism until this morning.

I don't know enough about Kaep's position to have an opinion to be honest. As has been said by many in this thread, I don't have to agree with a guy to fight for his right to peacefully utilize his constitutional rights to free speech and protest.

What I do find disingenuous (not saying you're doing this, or anyone really in this thread really -- I'm just speaking in a general sense) is the idea that this country is "better" than every other country so we should just shut up and be happy about what we have, kiss the flag and say thank you. That's not patriotism. That's brainwashing.

The truth is the American empire is crumbling. What we're seeing is the fallout of that and we're quickly reaching a tipping point. If we want to have a chance to keep what our forefathers fought and died to give to us -- that is a nation where we're truly free, we have to be able to have adult conversations about difficult topics without putting on blinders or acting as if there aren't serious problems facing this country.

100% :beer:

I'd love to have that conversation. But it'd get too testy here. People interested should start by googling Gary Webb :ph34r:

It's a pretty sordid history going all the way back to the 1920's. Hoover was something else to put things mildly.

Holy crap. You're sensitive.

The point was that it was one very wealthy guy trying to relate to poorer people.

when i first joined this, i got my a$$ reamed for innocently mixing a political opinion in a topic.. the three warning points are proof.. but ok.. im done.. i do like the free expression .. i have no further opinion.. frankly he isnt worth the effort.

Edited by dwight in philly

Just one weird aside Kapernick is a guy that is thought to be very intelligent. He scored a 38 on the Wonderlic (which is higher than Andrew Luck). At the same time the guy is socially tone deaf. Remember when he wore the Dolphins hat because it matched his shoes and couldnt understand why people were upset? He just generally lacks awareness which makes him and even stranger spokesman. Why is a guy that has a hard time relating to the general population speaking for the general population?

When I look at LeBron & co. they are fully engulfed in their initiatives. They go and talk to people and meet with people and educate themselves on topics before speaking their opinions. That's admirable IMO. If you want to make changes then you better fully grasp the issues that you are fighting for. Maybe Kaep has been doing that but I have not heard about his activism until this morning.

Yeah, maybe he is book smart (I saw that he was a 4.0 high school student) but something seems off in him. I think he's made several question social media posts before and would wear his headphones to press conferences.

He doesn't seem like the best leader in the world.

Are we confusing indentured servitude with out and out slavery? Many immigrants bought passage to America and other places by exchanging their labor for a set period. And you did get treated like crap but it would end eventually.

To be honest I don't know. One grandfather came over on the boat and the other was born a few months after his parents got here. All I know is one was a contractor that taught all his kids, and grand kids a trade and the other served in ww2.

The one that served never changed his name but the one that came over ended up going by a different name.