Rex simplifying defense

Dumb it down for these mental giants. This game gets more complex as players get dumber. How does someone make it all the way through college and be unable to perform their job? Last time I checked, no boss I have ever had dumbed down jobs to appease the morons in the office.

@MatthewFairburn

Matthew Fairburn Retweeted Buffalo Bills News

If you missed it, Preston Brown says the Bills are already noticing changes in Rex Ryan's defense: https://t.co/GO8V09bP0L

Missed it, but certainly worthy of a new thread. :thumbsup:

Preston Brown: "A great time to build camaraderie" (12:17)

Brown says that Rex has simplified the defense from last season.

As a former player and coach I can tell you this

The more you require a player to "think" on a field the more it takes away from reactionary time, communication, and players start cheating on their basic fundamentals......

There is a reason why 2 tenths of a second is made a big deal of at the NFL level......because its the difference between winning and losing on a a play

Now.....I dont necessarily think that Rex Ryan's past schemes are wrong....only that I thought it might take some time for the players to become adjusted to them......and for Rex to become adjusted to his players

fingers crossed

Missed it, but certainly worthy of a new thread. :thumbsup:

Ha, yeah. I just scanned the front page. I haven't been deep into threads so if that's where it was, it would have eluded me.

The more you require a player to "think" on a field the more it takes away from reactionary time, communication, and players start cheating on their basic fundamentals......

There is a reason why 2 tenths of a second is made a big deal of at the NFL level......because its the difference between winning and losing on a a play

Now.....I dont necessarily think that Rex Ryan's past schemes are wrong....only that I thought it might take some time for the players to become adjusted to them......and for Rex to become adjusted to his players

fingers crossed

Totally agree.

Also, knowing anything about human nature would lead you to believe that the 2015 growing pains would/should have been two fold:

• Players getting to know coaches/scheme
  • Coaches/scheme getting to know players

By all reports now, there is adaptability on both sides of the table, and things are progressing as if.

Last time I checked, no boss I have ever had dumbed down jobs to appease the morons in the office.

There is great weighting given to physical strength and speed in the NFL, unlike most office jobs. Every player is some blending of both the physical and mental skills. If a player has outstanding physical skills, a boss (coach) might very well 'dumb down the job to appease the morons' so he can get the physical talent on the field.

I don't know anything about Brown's intelligence and don't mean to insult him here, just saying ...

Dumb it down for these mental giants. This game gets more complex as players get dumber. How does someone make it all the way through college and be unable to perform their job? Last time I checked, no boss I have ever had dumbed down jobs to appease the morons in the office.

Maybe the coaches could just the friggin' plays in on time and go from there?

You cannot tell me that that wasn't a huge part of the problem. Complex/numerous reads, but no time. And that didn't work?

Edited by BarleyNY

Bosses and companies try to simplify things for their staff and employees all the time. Isn't that what management is all about, keeping things simple and efficient?

Maybe the coaches could just the friggin' plays in on time and go from there?

You cannot tell me that that wasn't a huge part of the problem. Complex/numerous reads, but no time. And that didn't work?

+1 Looking back, it's a wonder things didn't boil over more. Hard to learn regardless, but add in your coaches aren't getting you the play call? Bet that defensive locker room got pretty ugly at points.

How do you think these guys make it through college? Do you think they actually attend class?

Does this mean the D won't be any good because we no longer have a "complex scheme"?

Edited by nucci

Thanks for posting - I missed this too.

I get how Rex would be conflicted. If I was a HC or coordinator, I'd want to out-scheme and out-smart my opponents. I could see myself falling into the trap of making things too complicated.

But a lot of these players were not A students in college. And you want your D to make quick decisions and then act with aggression. Simple schemes executed with a high degree of violence and precision can be better than complicated schemes executed with self-doubt and confusion.

The optimal balancing point between brilliant complexity and aggressive simplicity is tough to find. And it will vary from team to team, season to season, depending on the players.

Rex has clearly reevaluated his defensive roster and is moving toward the simpler end of the continuum.

Based on some of the things we've heard from the players and saw on the field last year, this is probably a wise move.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Coming from a manufacturing background this was the bulk of what we did as manufacturing and process engineers.

Looked like Ryan simplified things after the bye last season. Maybe not in terms of terminology, but certainly in terms of assignments and responsibilities. It helped Brown, too, that Lawson took over the field calls. It will be interesting to see how Brown reacts when he resumes defensive QB duties for the front seven.

GO BILLS!!!

They're going to have to reduce the playbook...chances are 1 perhaps 2 rookies will be playing on the defensive front 7. That, and newcomers like Zach Brown and Robert Blanton will be getting minutes.

Maybe Buddy watched the 1985 Chicago Bears 30 for 30 and realized his dad once had to do it. :lol:

Probably because the process has already reached such a minimal threshold that automation is the next step.

I worked in HR and also did a stint in training.

Parallel to your bolded points: life is getting more complex, as the deeply flawed US educational system gives us millennials unprepared for work. I've dumbed down jobs to get recruits/employees likely to succeed.

An aside, I see a theme in this thread that hints at a difference in reaction time versus intelligence. Simplifying the D may be less for intellect, and may be more for the brains to process it timely.

Coming from a manufacturing background this was the bulk of what we did as manufacturing and process engineers.

When I went to the army's Officer Candidate School, all but one of the candidates in my class were college grads. Some came from prestigious universities.

So we laughed when an instructor told us that all training materials for enlisted soldiers were written at the 10th grade level.

Then he told us that all officer training materials were written at the 12th grade level and that humbled us.

He explained that to be effective, training has to make sense to everyone, not just to the best and brightest.

Clarity for everyone is key. Even the least analytical player with the poorest memory needs to understand the scheme and know his assignment for each call.

fingers crossed

This! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

When I went to the army's Officer Candidate School, all but one of the candidates in my class were college grads. Some came from prestigious universities.

So we laughed when an instructor told us that all training materials for enlisted soldiers were written at the 10th grade level.

Then he told us that all officer training materials were written at the 12th grade level and that humbled us.

He explained that to be effective, training has to make sense to everyone, not just to the best and brightest.

Clarity for everyone is key. Even the least analytical player with the poorest memory needs to understand the scheme and know his assignment for each call.

Great lesson.

Just seems odd that we talk all the time about how smart this guy is and that guy is, but can't understand a "D" because it's too hard to learn. After all the time they have to learn it? Odd. Guess N.E. dunbed down their game a long time ago. If they can't understand the play book they should hire a tutor with the big bucks they make.

Mario Williams was quoted as saying "So now he decides to simplify things? %#@!"

Yes and the dimpliest thing was to get rid of player who did not want to pay attention.

How do you think these guys make it through college? Do you think they actually attend class?

Does this mean the D won't be any good because we no longer have a "complex scheme"?

Sure they do; Lawson has industrial engineering degree. Oops he is one of the players who actually GOT the scheme. Not coincidentally Mario Williams never graduated from NC, same school Lawson got degree from.

I think PART of the reason why some coaches were dismissed because they were not communicating well with players changes they needed to make as part of scheme, something in past which Rex has used players from previous teams to do. This showed a weakness in coaching staff last year. Wish Rex realized it earlier before he let go some of the good coaches Bills had on defense.

Looked like Ryan simplified things after the bye last season. Maybe not in terms of terminology, but certainly in terms of assignments and responsibilities. It helped Brown, too, that Lawson took over the field calls. It will be interesting to see how Brown reacts when he resumes defensive QB duties for the front seven.

GO BILLS!!!

It really surprised me that Brown "could not get it" being a coach's son. I do not believe he got his degree from Louisville either.

Edited by Koolaid

Thanks for posting - I missed this too.

I get how Rex would be conflicted. If I was a HC or coordinator, I'd want to out-scheme and out-smart my opponents. I could see myself falling into the trap of making things too complicated.

But a lot of these players were not A students in college. And you want your D to make quick decisions and then act with aggression. Simple schemes executed with a high degree of violence and precision can be better than complicated schemes executed with self-doubt and confusion.

The optimal balancing point between brilliant complexity and aggressive simplicity is tough to find. And it will vary from team to team, season to season, depending on the players.

Rex has clearly reevaluated his defensive roster and is moving toward the simpler end of the continuum.

Based on some of the things we've heard from the players and saw on the field last year, this is probably a wise move.

Nice analysis

Yes and the dimpliest thing was to get rid of player who did not want to pay attention.

Sure they do; Lawson has industrial engineering degree. Oops he is one of the players who actually GOT the scheme. Not coincidentally Mario Williams never graduated from NC, same school Lawson got degree from.

I think PART of the reason why some coaches were dismissed because they were not communicating well with players changes they needed to make as part of scheme, something in past which Rex has used players from previous teams to do. This showed a weakness in coaching staff last year. Wish Rex realized it earlier before he let go some of the good coaches Bills had on defense.

It really surprised me that Brown "could not get it" being a coach's son. I do not believe he got his degree from Louisville either.

When I listened to the interview on Tuesday night, I didn't get the impression that Brown felt it was a difficult defense to learn in terms of intelligence. He said the confusing part was the number of checks on each play, and that was the part that he said was significantly reduced based on what they've seen thus far this week in meetings.

He also said it is his understanding that the calls will be coming in sooner and whatever the issue was last year has been fixed. And still didn't seem to know who it was sending in the def. calls.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm a fan of starting simple, and then applying more complicated schemes once the base of the defense becomes natural, so that players aren't actively overthinking it.

I agree, unlike when Marrone and company decided to run an up-tempo offense with a rookie QB in Manuel. Of course, EJ didn't have the time to think.

Sounds good to me. Now...about Marcel and Kyle dropping into coverage, can we simplify that too? You know, let them attack the oline instead of trying to cover someone or an area they have no business doing? Thanks Rex.

Bosses and companies try to simplify things for their staff and employees all the time. Isn't that what management is all about, keeping things simple and efficient?

Manufacturing Engineers do that.

Bosses try to squeeze as much productivity out of an employee as possible without mistakes or injury.

I just caught this post. soory i posted as I caught up!!

exactly correct. I have plenty of manufacturing within my resume to attest , that you are quite correct .

and this is why the Army gets s++t done. seriously.

Sounds good to me. Now...about Marcel and Kyle dropping into coverage, can we simplify that too? You know, let them attack the oline instead of trying to cover someone or an area they have no business doing? Thanks Rex.

That would be .... dopey. The best defenses had players drop in zone defenses; Both Denver's and Texans' defense did that with success but it helps when players are WILLING to do it not complain and barely make effort when they are called to do it. Never heard Kyle complaining about it.

"Don't think, you'll only hurt the team" -Bull Durham

A person can have plenty of smarts, and if they're asked to process too much information, still not be able to process it fast enough to keep up with an equally talented athlete who's just getting after it.

I took an optional ROTC course in college. The acronym instructions on how to clean your m16 or some of the other task were nothing short of brilliant. Simple, concise, clear and easy to remember.

I was even more impressed when they walked us through how to report situations.

That's why military people tend to be good at running things. They know communication