Chris Hogan visiting Patriots-Signs $12M offer sheet

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not counting on Goodwin for anything frankly......he has not shown that he deserves that

but that does not mean we dont have targets......there were a couple of WR's we brought in at the end of last year that I saw real potential in

That's good. Except 31 other teams didn't see enough out of Hankerson, Salas, Little, Boykin, Dez Lewis, and Walt Powell to want to acquire/keep them.

UDFAs and Street FAs are nothing to depend on going into the season. That's a wing and a prayer/delusional mindset.

Lol!! Nope. I'm not mad at anyone. I just think Hogan is overrated because of what he does in training camp.

I was just poking at you of course Jerry.

Bills have not made enough use of the middle of the field, so my evaluation of Hogan is still incomplete. I was sure pissed when he was dropping balls till i found out about the wrist.

some have mentioned he might fare better in NE.

He might.

And yet it is. Funny you can make that claim while also admitting you haven't watched the film. It happened on more than just catches, which is why the all 22s are enlightening. He consistently cut routes off short, and displayed over and over again that his field awareness is lacking. Which is what you'd expect from a guy who didn't play much football before coming to the NFL.

Links would be welcome. Maybe he was told to cut off routes early because they wanted to be assured of at least some progress if not a first down (given that DBs give up the underneath stuff on third down in order to prevent conversions)? Teams almost always have an underneath guy for that reason--something is better than nothing if the primary option is taken away. More to the point, I think a lot of suppositions are being made here without much evidence. Saying that he ran short of the sticks on all-22s on plays he wasn't targeted doesn't tell me much.

Regardless, it's probably not worth arguing about -- neither of us are honestly going to waste our time going over old all-22s scouting a former Bill's route tree.

I expect that he'll do well with the Patriots, although for the Bills' sake I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by dave mcbride

I was just poking at you of course Jerry.

Bills have not made enough use of the middle of the field, so my evaluation of Hogan is still incomplete. I was sure pissed when he was dropping balls till i found out about the wrist.

some have mentioned he might fare better in NE.

He might.

I know, it's all good. I know Hogan struggled catching the ball because of his wrist injury, so that is understandable. But, he has a tendency to alligator-arm passes, plus when he tries and fights for the yards needed for the first down (on third down) by slanting, he usually ends up short, compared to if he just would have kept going straight, he would have picked up the first down. IMO, he's a great ST player, but he's a #4/5 type WR. I wish him luck in NE.

This is my attitude too. simple enough.

Not so simple. If he does well, he hurts the Bills regardless of whether he's playing against our team or not. He'll be with a division opponent, so I hope he fails miserably as a waste of money for those cheating bastards.

Not so simple. If he does well, he hurts the Bills regardless of whether he's playing against our team or not. He'll be with a division opponent, so I hope he fails miserably as a waste of money for those cheating bastards.

for me it is so simple. if we are the better team we should win regardless !

Now, Mario can burn in heck for all i care.

He's better than Amendola and with LaFell gone, he could easily be the number 3 target on the team after Gronk and Edelman. I'm gonna laugh at the people who were bashing him when he's killing us.

Because it's more important to be right than to cheer for your team to win.

Got it.

Yup. Which most everyone knew.Instead of improving through the draft we are now back at plugging holes in the draft...rinse and repeat....

a lot of teams have to purge some talent. look at the broncos. we've got some drafting to do.

Yup. Which most everyone knew.Instead of improving through the draft we are now back at plugging holes in the draft...rinse and repeat....

Too bad the Bills have to abide by the rules of the salary cap like all of the other 31 teams. :cry:

That didn't take long.

@RapSheet

Chris Hogan will be a #Patriot. The #Bills declined their right of first refusal.

@RapSheet

The #Bills knew this morning they were destined to lose Chris Hogan. For the #Patriots, this was a player they've monitored for years.

Makes sense to decline quickly--the move gets processed and the Bills get back $1.1M in cap space.

So you would have advocated paying Chris Hogan what the Patriots did when we have to pay Glenn, Gilmore and Taylor? What did you want them to do? Yes they have a need at WR. We also have a top 5-10 WR in all of football. Guess how many teams in the NFL have needs at various positions. 32. The Broncos have needs all over the field and they just won the Super Bowl.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

@pschrags

Some decency in league after all. Bills could have waited four days to inform Patriots/Hogan that they weren't matching. Did it in hours.

@blakebaratz

@PSchrags I give a lot of credit to the @buffalobills. Consistently one of the best organizations to deal with. I personally apprecitae that

Edited by YoloinOhio

@JaySkurski

Two thoughts on Chris Hogan's contract: 1. Good for him. That's life-changing money and a great opportunity for a former college lax player.

2. It makes sense for both teams. Patriots obviously think he can help them (and weaken Bills), Buffalo clearly looks at him as replaceable.

@PSchrags

Some decency in league after all. Bills could have waited four days to inform Patriots/Hogan that they weren't matching. Did it in hours.

@blakebaratz

@PSchrags I give a lot of credit to the @buffalobills. Consistently one of the best organizations to deal with. I personally apprecitae that

@pschrags

@blakebaratz

Nice of them to say, and while it was cool of the Bills, I believe it's more self-serving...they'll get the added cap space as soon as the transaction processes.

We are a mediocre team losing talent and we will not be able to fill all of the holes through the draft. Sure, some of these players were back-ups, but what concerns me is whether we will be able to sign replacement players if we have injuries during training camp and once the season starts. We are really tight against the cap now.

Any improvement for this season will need to come from more familiarity with the coaching staff's offensive and defensive systems, better coaching and growth from players like Taylor, Wakins etc.

@pschrags

@blakebaratz

damn.

Wow - I didn't know this many people would be upset that we let Hogan go. I don't dislike him, but he's not worth $4m/year to the Bills - nowhere close to that. Maybe he's a better fit in NE's offense and catches many more balls than he would have ever caught in Buffalo, but I still don't see how he's worth that type of money. Glad he got paid and looks like he has an opportunity to be a bigger part of the offense, but I'm not worried about replacing him at all.

@pschrags

@blakebaratz

I think this approach helps the Bills. It was not that long ago they were seen as inept as an organization.

We are a mediocre team losing talent and we will not be able to fill all of the holes through the draft. Sure, some of these players were back-ups, but what concerns me is whether we will be able to sign replacement players if we have injuries during training camp and once the season starts. We are really tight against the cap now.

Any improvement for this season will need to come from more familiarity with the coaching staff's offensive and defensive systems, better coaching and growth from players like Taylor, Wakins etc.

One of the things I liked that Buffalo did in 2014 was the Corey Graham signing. At the time they had Gilmore and McKelvin as the CB starters, but with teams throwing so much, you need 3 starting CBs. And it provided veteran depth at a critical position that typically costs good money. This gave the Bills a lot of flexibility and provided some insurance for injury.

Now, I look all over the field and there's zero to little depth. QB, G, TE, WR, LB, CB, S, DL. Their depth players at those positions aren't really NFL starter or should be expected to fill in for an injured starter.

And some people think the Bills will find 3 significant contributors out of the draft. Even last year, 2 of the 3 positions the Bills found "starters" were at easy to replace positions like RB and G. Try finding instant impact OTs, CB, and DL, particularly in rounds 2 and lower.

Edited by BillsVet

And some people think the Bills will find 3 significant contributors out of the draft. Even last year, 2 of the 3 positions the Bills found "starters" were at easy to replace positions like RB and G. Try finding instant impact OTs, CB, and DL, particularly in rounds 2 and lower.

They found a starting CB in round 2 last year!!!!

Edited by YattaOkasan