Nix on Fitz ("wanted to keep him") and EJ (still believes)

YoloinOhio

Sounds like Buddy isn't alone.

@RyanTalbotBills

Rex Ryan isn't done with EJ Manuel as Tyrod Taylor's backup http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1640420-rex-ryan-im-not-done-ej-manuel

Caet-UEWIAA3Syp.jpg

“I’m not done with EJ Manuel, either," Ryan said. "I think EJ’s got the talent, the size and all that stuff. Sometimes, just guys take a little bit longer to develop, so we’ll see how that goes.”

Although he has some of the intangibles that you look for in an NFL QB, it's hard to believe that things will just click for Manuel in 2016. Manuel's biggest issue has been his accuracy and it's unlikely that he can fix his accuracy enough to be a quality starter or backup in the league.

He believes in Manuel? That's great. He should get together with posters here who tell us how good Rex Ryan is. They could hold seminars that include speeches by the Tooth Fairy.

But Ryan Mallett still has a chance!!! :) jk, and I still believe in the tooth fairy!

I'm one of the last crazy people but minus that 4 minute stretch of the worst football ever played, he was the perfect backup. Pick a guy in the 4th or later and we're fine for next year.

But Ryan Mallett still has a chance!!! :) jk, and I still believe in the tooth fairy!

I'm one of the last crazy people but minus that 4 minute stretch of the worst football ever played, he was the perfect backup. Pick a guy in the 4th or later and we're fine for next year.

which means he's a good backup until he has to play

EJ falls short in many areas including ability to read a defense, and ability to anticipate where to throw open a receiver. He has made strides primarily in stepping into his throws but he seems to be the type of QB who is a life long number 2. That's not a bad job, if he can step in compete & win some games he will have a nice long career.

Why is that assclown Nix even have any relevance anymore? He was the worst GM in team history, and had no business ever being in the position.

On top of all that, his arrogance was astounding! You would think he had picked multiple all-pros, the way he acted and talked down to people.

Go away, Buddy, I never want to hear from you or your stupid "twang" ever again.

I am in there with you in the looney bin, cause i agree EJ can be a great backup and get you to .500 as a part time starter. After all, he did bring them back to actually have the lead London...after the worst 4 minutes played by a team outside of 77 seconds of hell inside the Ralph in 90.

Always wonder how things would have turned out if Nix was not punked on the phone and he was never heard calling Fitz a backup at best...

I am in there with you in the looney bin, cause i agree EJ can be a great backup and get you to .500 as a part time starter. After all, he did bring them back to actually have the lead London...after the worst 4 minutes played by a team outside of 77 seconds of hell inside the Ralph in 90.

Always wonder how things would have turned out if Nix was not punked on the phone and he was never heard calling Fitz a backup at best...

In a perfect world, Fitz would have been the bridge/ mentor qb. He would have been awesome in that role. Gailey/ Nix's biggest mistake was not picking a qb earlier to groom behind Fitz.

What choice does he have? The Bills are not likely to draft a QB high nor sign a QB FA of significance.

Yeah, it always strikes me as funny that anyone ever reads anything into a member of the current staff - or those close to them - saying anything positive about current players, coaches or front office people. Wow! The guy who drafted EJ thinks he could be good! Shocking!

If they wanted to keep Fitz then why didn't they? They cut him

And EJ is terrible

Because the tired old coot was made a mockery of by a scamming radio DJ team, who pretended to be the Chargers and caught Nix bad-mouthing Fitz, talking about the Bills QB position. Fitz was originally favorable to a re-constructed deal that would save the team money -until this embarrassing charade. Fitz quickly stood his financial ground and was released.

one crank call ended it all!

I think its importance has been exaggerated by the media. But I will say this. In the crank call, Nix went on record saying they would be paying Fitz too much money to be the backup. When he talks about their original plan to let Manuel sit behind Fitz "or a vet" for 1 or 2 seasons, I think he's indulging in revisionist history. I think if they really thought Manuel would be sitting behind Fitz or another vet for 1-2 seasons, they wouldn't have gibed so hard at Fitz original salary.

Because the tired old coot was made a mockery of by a scamming radio DJ team, who pretended to be the Chargers and caught Nix bad-mouthing Fitz, talking about the Bills QB position. Fitz was originally favorable to a re-constructed deal that would save the team money -until this embarrassing charade. Fitz quickly stood his financial ground and was released.

It was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, not the Chargers.

Fitz has gone on public record saying he wanted to stay in Buffalo, but he figured that he'd be the starter one way or another for the next few years and wanted to be paid like it, and the Bills made a single offer that was way lower than he could consider and never negotiated on it. The Bills reported they offered Fitz a "4 year deal worth $3 million on average with ability to earn up to $7 million based on performance".

Usually when a team offers a player a 4 year deal "worth XX million on average" the first 2 years aren't XX, the first 2 years are 1/4-1/2 x XX, and of course the important detail is "what is guaranteed?" TJax was handed a $500,000 signing bonus and if they didn't offer Fitz anything guaranteed, that would be a sure bet that they didn't try very hard to keep him.

Anyway, I think the phone call is overrated as the reason Fitz walked. I think he wanted some guaranteed money, like TJax got and like he got from the Titans, and I think the Bills figured he already got big bonuses his performance didn't live up to, so why pay more? Duh, because if a guy signs a new contract, it's business, and he has to look at what he could get elsewhere before he inks.

The real blockbuster comes when Nix basically admits that if quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't re-structure his deal, there will be issues. And there were. Fitzpatrick carried a $10.45 million salary cap charge in 2013 as part of the seven-year, $62.195 million contract he signed in October 2011 and that led to the quarterback's release on Tuesday afternoon.

"We're still struggling here with our quarterback," Nix said. "We're not really struggling--he's going to have to do something, or we'll have to ... We just can't afford to pay that kind of money for a guy who's fighting for probably a backup job."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/bills-gm-buddy-nix-gets-catfished-prankster-admits-164444662--nfl.html

There are plenty of elite football minds in the NFL.

Buddy Nix was not and is not one of them.

After all, he's the guy who in his introductory press conference as GM said he'd never been accused of being the smartest guy in the room.

Edited by TheFunPolice

In a perfect world, Fitz would have been the bridge/ mentor qb. He would have been awesome in that role. Gailey/ Nix's biggest mistake was not picking a qb earlier to groom behind Fitz.

Yes and yes

Nix's undying faith in EJ suggests that really was a Buddy pick, not so much a DW pick.

Agreed

Nix's undying faith in EJ suggests that really was a Buddy pick, not so much a DW pick.

Or he's taking one for the team as Whaley's former supervisor and is protecting the guy he hired.

I highly doubt there was no transition plan in place to move from Nix to Whaley during the 2013 off-season. The Bills didn't just make Whaley GM in May after the draft and it's been widely reported that Whaley was deeply involved in scouting Manuel.

Nix was a bad GM and set-up his successor for failure in a few ways.

Edited by BillsVet

I agree with you C.Biscuit97. In his two starts he did average 280 yds passing on average of 42 att.. Not bad for a 3rd year QB with only 16 starts. We lost both games, but still I guest he is kinda like a rookie with only 16 starts. Isn't that what people say about TT that he is a rookie because this is his first year starting with a total of only 14 starts ,even though this is his fifth year in the league. Taylors only game that he had 42 att. we lost that game too. Only scored 10 pts in that game. That was againts 6 and 10 giants same record as jacksonville . TT is our starter and he had a great year. I not saying EJ should start, but I don't think he is a bad backup.

He will continue to learn, but at what rate? It's unfortunate that we gave up so much for a starter who wasn't able to start, and win.

It doesn't matter. Look around the league at the backup QBs. EJ is, at a minimum, in the top half of that group. He has next year to show he deserves a second (reasonable) contract to continue as a backup, or he can test his value on the open market.

It's not killing the Bills either way, and even when they drafted him they traded down and got an extra pick.