If Chad Kelly declares... (Update - returning to Ole Miss)

YoloinOhio

Do you want the Bills to draft Chad Kelly?  

197 members have voted

1. 1. If Chad Kelly declares, do you want the Bills to draft him?

• Yes
    • No
    • He needs another year in college before I can decide

With a matter like this, sometimes it helps to weigh the pros and the cons.

Pros:

Has two arms and two legs. Meets minimum requirement to play football.

Has a cool uncle.

Knows where the stadium is. Probably won’t get lost and miss practices, or worse, games.

High motor, probably. I have it on good authority he uses SPF 45.

Is a Kelly. 100% of Bills quarterbacks named Kelly have gone to the hall of fame.

Cons:

Did not complete JUCO degree. Will he finish what he starts?

Might spray up the place with his AK. That could put the whole team in danger.

“Swag out Dabo!” Not sure what that means but it doesn’t sound good.

Terrible rapper. Just terrible.

Played at Ole Miss. Likely couldn’t get into New Miss. Major red flag. What does New Miss know that we don't?

Outstanding, Jron! You need to post more. There is a palpaple lack of humor in these parts.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put aside all the character flaws for my first point. Does anyone here follow college football? Does he look like a potential starting NFL Quarterback to you? He doesn't have me totally convinced. He seems to have a reckless style that could be disastrous in the NFL. Now to the the character questions. Bringing him back home could have ugly consequences. The last thing he needs to be able to hook up with old friends every day. Add the pressure of being a Kelly, and it could be bad.

I don't think you'd want to bring him back to his home turf. I think a different environment would probably help him. Besides, if Chad comes to Buffalo, you know there will be hundreds of "bench TT, start CK" threads which will crush the TSW servers.

CAN HE PLAY FOOTBALL???

Exactly! Reminds me of a caller to the Coach (Chuck Dickerson) radio show during the Flutie/ Johnson era. The caller asked if a Bills player( possibly Johnson but I don't recall ) was " too dumb to play football" . The Coach practically jumped out of the radio with his response " no! No! It's not possible! Trust me, you cannot be too dumb to play football! That's not it" Hilarious, but likely true response from a guy that's been around a lot of football and presumably a lot of not too sharp players. As Yogi Berra would have said, the game " ain't rocket surgery" ya know?

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the round. If he's available in second or third round, the value is there.

My nephew played on St. Joe's football team with him. According to him, if there's a bigger d**k in western NY, it'd be a surprise.

Jim Kelly was a total dick for a number of years during college and the NFL. People can mature.

• 2 weeks later...

Let him sit for a couple years behind Taylor. Of all of the college QBs I have watched this year, he's been most impressive. If we could get him, especially if it were Rd2 or 3, I would absolutely take him.

I agree. Third round would be great but I think you need to spend a second to get him, especially where we are going to pick.

Maybe Jimbo can mentor him on the maturity thingee.

He has NFL potential but I think he should come back to school another year

Agree. I understand the temptation, especially in a weak QB year, but I just think he'd benefit so much more from another year in that league playing the best competition the country can offer. Another year of ascension and he could be the first QB taken off the board next year. But hey, if he finds out he's a first round grade, then more power to him.

His mechanics need some work. For instance, his footwork which has gotten a a ton better over the course of the season; stays on the balls of his feet more which enables better everything while in the pocket.

Hopefully, we will be in no position to take him, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Many good QB's are dicks... just like most fighter pilots I know. He needs to mature for sure, but he has a winning attitude and hates to lose. Let's hope he stays in school and see how he handles himself next year. Saying all that I like TT. Let's fix the line and the D scheme!

The fact that he's a Kelly means NOTHING to me. The fact that he got kicked off a National Championship caliber Clemson team because he argued with a National Championship caliber coach tells me he's a headcase. Being immature off the field is one thing but to be yelling at coaches and disrespecting coaches on the sidelines is a whole different issue that this team is not prepared to deal with. The lack of leadership is astounding already and if you let someone like Kelly be the face of this franchise...You're asking for a whole world of hurt.

The fact that he's a Kelly means NOTHING to me. The fact that he got kicked off a National Championship caliber Clemson team because he argued with a National Championship caliber coach tells me he's a headcase. Being immature off the field is one thing but to be yelling at coaches and disrespecting coaches on the sidelines is a whole different issue that this team is not prepared to deal with. The lack of leadership is astounding already and if you let someone like Kelly be the face of this franchise...You're asking for a whole world of hurt.

He's a kid and kids make stupid mistakes. Just sayin...

That was two yrs ago and that is like ten yrs in young & dumb college kids.

If he is there in the third I'd take him.

I will take Carson Wentz 10 times out of 10 over any other QB prospect in this year's draft. He is the apple of my eye for '16 draft.

Wish I saw some of his games, have no idea if he is any good or not.

That was two yrs ago and that is like ten yrs in young & dumb college kids.

If he is there in the third I'd take him.

Wish I saw some of his games, have no idea if he is any good or not.

Seems like a low risk/high reward prospect to me. I wouldn't take him until the 3Rd. A lot of developing to do. Plus, if you give him that 1St/2ND rounder status, you're asking for trouble.

FWIW, I watched the game last night with a group of people which included a young man who is currently a junior at Ole Miss. and is involved in the athletic program there. I asked him about Kelly off the field and he had nothing but positive things to say about him. Said he sees him often around campus and he always comes off as a good guy, never cocky or arrogant - but can tell he definitely has a confidence. Says he is always gracious when people approach him, but also will try to keep a low profile at times wearing headphones etc. He obviously is aware of Kelly's history, and says he has seen none of that (or heard it from anyone else) - and whatever issues Kelly had before (from outward appearances anyway) it seems he has really worked on them.

He also mentioned that as a group the football team is a bunch of really good guys around campus (not necessarily a common thing). He credits Freeze with a lot of that, says he is or was a pastor, and really stresses values and the concept of the football team as a 'family'-and the team seems to really buy into it.

Ahhhhhh, forgot the get off my lawn part.

Yes, watched him last night. Big time arm. Need his wideout Treadwell too.

I've seen quite a bit of Kelly in SEC territory (7 or 8 games). He has a big arm, is a lot more athletic than he gets credit for and is a gunslinger. He makes some mind numbing decisions but some huge plays. I don't see him coming out. He'd be an interesting prospect in the 3rd or so. I'm afraid that drafting the name "Kelly" would be a bad move for the Bills unless they are SURE that he is the guy (like Luck was). Otherwise there will be a bunch of Bills fans crying for him over every incompletion. There are still a small segment of Bills fans that believe EJ Manuel is the answer!! Can you imagine how delusional this fan base would be when it came to Swag Kelly?!?

On a side note, I am on record as being more than willing to use our first on Treadwell. I doubt that he makes it to us but he is a monster and will be a great pro. He is Dez Bryant 2.0 IMO (but better character).

I've seen quite a bit of Kelly in SEC territory (7 or 8 games). He has a big arm, is a lot more athletic than he gets credit for and is a gunslinger. He makes some mind numbing decisions but some huge plays. I don't see him coming out. He'd be an interesting prospect in the 3rd or so. I'm afraid that drafting the name "Kelly" would be a bad move for the Bills unless they are SURE that he is the guy (like Luck was). Otherwise there will be a bunch of Bills fans crying for him over every incompletion. There are still a small segment of Bills fans that believe EJ Manuel is the answer!! Can you imagine how delusional this fan base would be when it came to Swag Kelly?!?

On a side note, I am on record as being more than willing to use our first on Treadwell. I doubt that he makes it to us but he is a monster and will be a great pro. He is Dez Bryant 2.0 IMO (but better character).

I see your point, but the Bills could draft the reincarnation of John Elway and Bills fans would cry over every incompletion.

Everyone complains the Bills never take a shot at 3d round guys like Wilson or Cousins, well, here's another one. It don't cost that much and he might be the guy. I'd take him.

And I agree with Treadwell. He should be on the short list of guys they are considering in the first.

I see your point, but the Bills could draft the reincarnation of John Elway and Bills fans would cry over every incompletion.

Everyone complains the Bills never take a shot at 3d round guys like Wilson or Cousins, well, here's another one. It don't cost that much and he might be the guy. I'd take him.

And I agree with Treadwell. He should be on the short list of guys they are considering in the first.

I just worry that if he isn't (which he may or may not be) it is really risky for the Bills. It is much less risky for the organization to use the same pick on Doughty from WKU for example. Both guys have a similar chance of developing into franchise guys IMO. If Kelly doesn't work out it would be devastating for the organization because of the external pressure. He's from Buffalo, his uncle a franchise icon, etc... It would be really, really difficult to move one from him. If Doughty isn't the guy you just keep looking like you have been.

He was 99% returning before game, but apparently he's interested in the NFL now. He is losing his stud LT, his best WR & his stock is pretty high right now (2-4 rd) and might declare according to family and friends. He loves Freeze but might bolt IMO.

I would love to have him and Treadwell!