Dareus unhappy with Bills in contract talks (update:He's ok)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not lowballing him. Hopefully something can still be done before the season starts.

It's lower than McCoy's 95 mil and Suh's 114 mil. I think he's more on Suh's level. He should be getting 100 mil or more. If he ever became a FA he would get over 100 million for certain. This is one instance the Bills need to just pay the man. He is a difference maker at the position and young.

I don't have any problem with him stating how he feels. It's all negotiations at the end of the day. And he's right. He's worth closer to Suh money than McCoy. Obviously a man complaing about a 90 mil offer will rub many the wrong way, but as I always remind folks, pro sports is not a job at the office, plant, school, etc. In his industry the standard for pay, at his position, for players of his caliber, has been set. It's simple as that.

Edited by purple haze

I'm sure the Bills are using Dareus' immaturity to negotiate a lower guarantee and it's just a waste of time.

When a player this young is this good at such a premier position, you write them a blank check.

If Suh were as effective as Marcel he would be in Detroit still.

Assuming the figures quoted are correct(6 new years, $90M), this is a $15M/year offer. Considering that Suh's contract is over $19M/year, I can see why Dareus is vocally upset.

We are not lowballing him. Hopefully something can still be done before the season starts.

Actually they are that's why he's pissed he needs to get what he's looking for. Whaley needs to be really careful here and put his employee of the month plaque away. Pay this man.....don't F this up.

Assuming the figures quoted are correct(6 new years, $90M), this is a $15M/year offer. Considering that Suh's contract is over $19M/year, I can see why Dareus is vocally upset.

Actually $14M (he's owed $8M this year + 6 years @ $90M).

Someone should start a Kickstarter to "Raise money for Marcel" to really illustrate how silly his comment was.

I love Dareus on the field but he's always struck me as incredibly immature. Doesn't he realize that this is how the game is played. Does he expect them to just throw money at him and not negotiate?

And you don't think his comment was part of the negotiation?

You don't think his agent told him to say something to that effect?

In a $100 million negotiation, you don't think the agent is smart enough to script the narrative?

some of you are saying its 90mil he should be happy but its about his worth. yeah 90mil is a ton of money but if you have a set of skill that only a few humans on earth have and the others are getting 100mil it says you're worth 100. so 90 is 10% less. most of us have no idea what its like to be worth that much but you have to look at it in the terms of he's got one chance to make this kinda contract. i don't blame him at all.

but I'm sure that they are negotiating and they are not done.

It's going to take $100 million. Cant't see him being happy with the $90 million offer...

That's about it in todays NFL ! I'll play for the highest bidder it's getting ridiculous !!

Then when they say "I have to do what's best for my family" WHO'S FAMILY COULDN"T LIVE ON $90 MILLION ??

DAM !!

Edited by T master

some of you are saying its 90mil he should be happy but its about his worth. yeah 90mil is a ton of money but if you have a set of skill that only a few humans on earth have and the others are getting 100mil it says you're worth 100. so 90 is 10% less. most of us have no idea what its like to be worth that much but you have to look at it in the terms of he's got one chance to make this kinda contract. i don't blame him at all.

but I'm sure that they are negotiating and they are not done.

No one is blaming Marcel for feeling (and frankly...is) worth more then his counterparts are makign

It is the negotiating in the media that fans dont like (or i will just say I am speaking for myself and dont like it)

The team has been pretty good to Marcel.....they drafted him high.....they supported him through his recent years of trouble....

Now he deserves to get paid....keep it behind closed doors and dont make it a distraction to the team

On the other hand, it could be a negotiating tactic just saying something like that.

I agree.

Question - did we hear Marcel say this or are we just reading news reports stating he said this? If its news reports, then its probably his agent. To be honest, Marcel looked pretty happy while on the sidelines during last nights ball game, including dousing Mario with water while Mario was getting interviewed.

I agree.

Question - did we hear Marcel say this or are we just reading news reports stating he said this? If its news reports, then its probably his agent. To be honest, Marcel looked pretty happy while on the sidelines during last nights ball game, including dousing Mario with water while Mario was getting interviewed.

he is quoted saying it all after the game last night

I am not surprised this is getting tetchy... Marcel kinda strikes me as that sort. Whaley may not negotiate through the media but Dareus' side have decided they are going to. This is a player I think the Bills have to find a way to keep, once Kyle and Mario leave the stage this guy has to become our leader of the defense, he is already arguably its best player. I have always felt like keeping Dareus will cost us someone though.... and that seems pretty much certain now.

I am not surprised this is getting tetchy... Marcel kinda strikes me as that sort. Whaley may not negotiate through the media but Dareus' side have decided they are going to. This is a player I think the Bills have to find a way to keep, once Kyle and Mario leave the stage this guy has to become our leader of the defense, he is already arguably its best player. I have always felt like keeping Dareus will cost us someone though.... and that seems pretty much certain now.

Have to pay the guy, he's one of the elite interior linemen. Maybe give him more money, but less guaranteed with some incentives because he's shown in the past some bad characteristics after he gets paid.

Have to pay the guy, he's one of the elite interior linemen. Maybe give him more money, but less guaranteed with some incentives because he's shown in the past some bad characteristics after he gets paid.

At what cost though? It is not that cut and dry. Continuing to increase Marcels contract could cost you Gilmore, Glenn and who knows what else.

Unless they plan on cutting Kyle Williams and re-structuring Mario. You are planning on having nearly 55MM tied up on the D-line.

Mario - 19MM

Kyle - 8MM

Hughes - 7.5MM

Dareus - 19MM

I will be very surprised if the Bills can re-sign Dareus, Glenn and Gilmore and still stay under the salary cap.

Which one could be traded for a 1st rd pick or more to replace with a affordable player ? The only time a good player has trade value is if he has at least 1 year left on his contract.

What a douche. I'm okay with him pushing for more money, but claiming $15m/year is equivalent to saying guys like him are "a dime a dozen" is just dumb. He's a great player, but at ~$20m/yr the value he brings is largely offset by the sacrifices you have to make to keep him.

Of course, I'm sure he could demand $30m/year and mathematically challenged morons would still chime in with the mind numbing "pay da man" posts.

At what cost though? It is not that cut and dry. Continuing to increase Marcels contract could cost you Gilmore, Glenn and who knows what else.

Unless they plan on cutting Kyle Williams and re-structuring Mario. You are planning on having nearly 55MM tied up on the D-line.

Mario - 19MM

Kyle - 8MM

Hughes - 7.5MM

Dareus - 19MM

Signing Marcell will most likely cost us Mario rather than Bradham and Gilmore, but I see your point.

I will be very surprised if the Bills can re-sign Dareus, Glenn and Gilmore and still stay under the salary cap.

Which one could be traded for a 1st rd pick or more to replace with a affordable player ? The only time a good player has trade value is if he has at least 1 year left on his contract.

I got roasted for even suggesting trading gilmore in the past but that seems to be the easiest way to get us some cap relief. He will have the most trade value with one more year left on his deal and if he has a great year could we get a first for him? We could tag glenn and then use two firsts to load up on talent and replace gilmore and another skill position. Or get a qb.

Mario - 19MM

Kyle - 8MM

Hughes - 7.5MM

Dareus - 19MM

Fine by me. We won't be spending big elsewhere anytime soon *shrugs*

Kyle is probably a year or two from retirement (I'd assume?). Mario could maybe be restructured? But also the cap is basically shooting upwards every year.