Dareus unhappy with Bills in contract talks (update:He's ok)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TyDunne: Dareus: I feel like they dont want me here as bad as I want to be here. .I feel like theyre saying, Whatever. You come a dime a dozen.

Or you know, 90 million a dozen

I just wish more of these guys had a true 'team' vision of their career. Don't they know these massive contracts hurt the team big time? Miami will have trouble fielding a consistently good team for a while because of the Suh contract. All of these QBs who got gigantic contracts--did they care at all when a bunch of talent left because of them?

It's just frustrating. 90 million is a lot. Is 10 more million really going to be the biggest difference in your life? 15 more?

I hate to say it, but Tom Brady taking smaller contracts and restructuring frequently to help the team is pretty impressive in this day and age.

mccoy signed a 7 year extension last year worth 95.2 mill, and dareus was offered a 6 year extension of "more than 90" ... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000416827/article/bucs-gerald-mccoy-signs-7year-extension-up-to-98m

He signed a 7 year extension, but was still under contract to the Bucs for 2 more years i believe. I would also expect that "more than $90 million" means "less than $95.2 million."

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/contract-forecast-marcell-dareus-515/

This is a good read on what they should expect in a Dareus extension. $100 million. 6 years. Less guaranteed than mccoy and suh. Until the Bills offer $100 million, Dareus will not be signing.

He signed a 7 year extension, but was still under contract to the Bucs for 2 more years i believe. I would also expect that "more than $90 million" means "less than $95.2 million."

This is a good read on what they should expect in a Dareus extension. $100 million. 6 years. Less guaranteed than mccoy and suh. Until the Bills offer $100 million, Dareus will not be signing.

Pay him. He`s worth it. In today market. It will keep going up. But so will the cap. Fork it it over Peg.

If I were Dareus I'd never agree to less gtd. than McCoy

McCoy wasn't under contract for 2 more years - he signed the 7 year extension in fall of 2014 and was set to become a UFA in March 2015. Obviously the total amount is slightly higher, but it is spread over a longer period of time and mccoy is 2 years older than Dareus, so not sure how likely it is he will see the 10+ mill in the final year in 2021 when he's 33. It's all about the gtd money anyway, and Pegula et al know that.

It's Marcel using every bit of leverage he can to get as much as he can and I can't blame him for it. It's up to the bean counters to decide if they can pay him what he want, make him happy without neglecting the rest of the team. If a 100 million dollar contract is going to cripple the team, then, you don't do it.

Don't forget, were gonna have to pony up a big contract for EJ, before too long...

;)

I just wish more of these guys had a true 'team' vision of their career. Don't they know these massive contracts hurt the team big time? Miami will have trouble fielding a consistently good team for a while because of the Suh contract. All of these QBs who got gigantic contracts--did they care at all when a bunch of talent left because of them?

It's just frustrating. 90 million is a lot. Is 10 more million really going to be the biggest difference in your life? 15 more?

I hate to say it, but Tom Brady taking smaller contracts and restructuring frequently to help the team is pretty impressive in this day and age.

It's a business, MD should get every penny he can while he can. Tom's made more money than Dareus (had more contracts prior to taking "less") and comes from a wealthy background. Another 10 mill probably means way more to Dareus and his family at this point in his life than it did to Tom's family when he started taking "less". And I say less because when guys restructure they aren't taking less money in reality. Not even Tom.

It's a business, MD should get every penny he can while he can. Tom's made more money than Dareus (had more contracts prior to taking "less") and comes from a wealthy background. Another 10 mill probably means way more to Dareus and his family at this point in his life than it did to Tom's family when he started taking "less". And I say less because when guys restructure they aren't taking less money in reality. Not even Tom.

When guys like Brady or any good player restructure it is no sacrifice whatsoever, it's way better for them. That is a complete misnomer (and not railing on Brady here, he was just the one used in the example). Restructuring is like your boss coming up to you and saying, "Hey, would you do us a big favor and let us pay you earlier than we agreed upon. You'll get like next year's payment now. It will be the same amount overall, could you just take it earlier? Thanks for being a team player."

When guys like Brady or any good player restructure it is no sacrifice whatsoever, it's way better for them. That is a complete misnomer (and not railing on Brady here, he was just the one used in the example). Restructuring is like your boss coming up to you and saying, "Hey, would you do us a big favor and let us pay you earlier than we agreed upon. You'll get like next year's payment now. It will be the same amount overall, could you just take it earlier? Thanks for being a team player."

100%. It's always amusing when people talk about guys restructuring as "taking one for the team". No they're not, they're just getting paid now.

McCoy wasn't under contract for 2 more years - he signed the 7 year extension in fall of 2014 and was set to become a UFA in March 2015. Obviously the total amount is slightly higher, but it is spread over a longer period of time and mccoy is 2 years older than Dareus, so not sure how likely it is he will see the 10+ mill in the final year in 2021 when he's 33. It's all about the gtd money anyway, and Pegula et al know that.

He signed a 5 yr deal in 2010, but you are right. The last year voided so he was going to be a UFA.

Dareus is wandering dangerously close to Latrell Sprewell territory. By all means, negotiate for what you think you're worth, but cool it with the idiotic commentary. Sprewell's long since retired and is still a punchline, and that stupid comment never earned him a dime.

Edited by Rob's House

@TyDunne: Dareus on contract talks: "Theyre making it hard. And its just really making me unhappy. I feel like they dont really want me here.

dude is an idiot if he thinks they don't want him. They want him, but perhaps he is unfamiliar with the salary cap and the need to sign other players. ? I'd love to see a team take this approach, "player is making it really hard. It's like he doesn't want to play here."

Dareus is wandering dangerously close to Latrell Sprewell territory. By all means, negotiate for what you think you're worth, but cool it with the idiotic commentary. Sprewell's long since retired and is still a punchline, and that stupid comment never earned him a dime.

Dareus choked out Rex?

I'm surprised at the level of anger on Dareus' part.

He isn't going anywhere either way. They will tag him if needed. NO WAY a player like him just walks into free agency for nothing in return.

That would be malfeasance on the part of the front office.

exactly. Tag him, trade him, no FA for free.

If I were Dareus I'd never agree to less gtd. than McCoy

Dareus is not as good as Shu or McCoy. Dareus is fantastic, don't get me wrong. But to some extent is assisted by playing on the same line as the Williams'.

its odd. at what point is it tampering?

good question. I'd say its getting close.