Dareus unhappy with Bills in contract talks (update:He's ok)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not surprised this is getting tetchy... Marcel kinda strikes me as that sort. Whaley may not negotiate through the media but Dareus' side have decided they are going to. This is a player I think the Bills have to find a way to keep, once Kyle and Mario leave the stage this guy has to become our leader of the defense, he is already arguably its best player. I have always felt like keeping Dareus will cost us someone though.... and that seems pretty much certain now.

I am not surprised this is getting tetchy... Marcel kinda strikes me as that sort. Whaley may not negotiate through the media but Dareus' side have decided they are going to. This is a player I think the Bills have to find a way to keep, once Kyle and Mario leave the stage this guy has to become our leader of the defense, he is already arguably its best player. I have always felt like keeping Dareus will cost us someone though.... and that seems pretty much certain now.

Have to pay the guy, he's one of the elite interior linemen. Maybe give him more money, but less guaranteed with some incentives because he's shown in the past some bad characteristics after he gets paid.

Have to pay the guy, he's one of the elite interior linemen. Maybe give him more money, but less guaranteed with some incentives because he's shown in the past some bad characteristics after he gets paid.

At what cost though? It is not that cut and dry. Continuing to increase Marcels contract could cost you Gilmore, Glenn and who knows what else.

Unless they plan on cutting Kyle Williams and re-structuring Mario. You are planning on having nearly 55MM tied up on the D-line.

Mario - 19MM

Kyle - 8MM

Hughes - 7.5MM

Dareus - 19MM

I will be very surprised if the Bills can re-sign Dareus, Glenn and Gilmore and still stay under the salary cap.

Which one could be traded for a 1st rd pick or more to replace with a affordable player ? The only time a good player has trade value is if he has at least 1 year left on his contract.

What a douche. I'm okay with him pushing for more money, but claiming $15m/year is equivalent to saying guys like him are "a dime a dozen" is just dumb. He's a great player, but at ~$20m/yr the value he brings is largely offset by the sacrifices you have to make to keep him.

Of course, I'm sure he could demand $30m/year and mathematically challenged morons would still chime in with the mind numbing "pay da man" posts.

At what cost though? It is not that cut and dry. Continuing to increase Marcels contract could cost you Gilmore, Glenn and who knows what else.

Unless they plan on cutting Kyle Williams and re-structuring Mario. You are planning on having nearly 55MM tied up on the D-line.

Mario - 19MM

Kyle - 8MM

Hughes - 7.5MM

Dareus - 19MM

Signing Marcell will most likely cost us Mario rather than Bradham and Gilmore, but I see your point.

I will be very surprised if the Bills can re-sign Dareus, Glenn and Gilmore and still stay under the salary cap.

Which one could be traded for a 1st rd pick or more to replace with a affordable player ? The only time a good player has trade value is if he has at least 1 year left on his contract.

I got roasted for even suggesting trading gilmore in the past but that seems to be the easiest way to get us some cap relief. He will have the most trade value with one more year left on his deal and if he has a great year could we get a first for him? We could tag glenn and then use two firsts to load up on talent and replace gilmore and another skill position. Or get a qb.

Mario - 19MM

Kyle - 8MM

Hughes - 7.5MM

Dareus - 19MM

Fine by me. We won't be spending big elsewhere anytime soon *shrugs*

Kyle is probably a year or two from retirement (I'd assume?). Mario could maybe be restructured? But also the cap is basically shooting upwards every year.