Dareus unhappy with Bills in contract talks (update:He's ok)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Bills do have this leverage. But the Lions didn't use it with Suh because of how it would kill their cap. Would we be in the same boat?

No.

The issue in Detroit is that the tag mandates a minimum raise over the previous year's total compensation, and Suh was still operating on a rookie contract from before the new CBA (which set a rookie wage scale).

the Bills do have this leverage. But the Lions didn't use it with Suh because of how it would kill their cap. Would we be in the same boat?

The lions backloaded suh's rookie contract and a player can't take a pay cut...so the final year of his deal was like 22 mil or something and they tagged him once I think at the same salary but then if they did it again it was going to be 20% more . marcel doesn't have a backloaded deal

Ironic that during contract impasses some fans instinctively blame the player first, especially if the negotiations are acrimonious.

But why does the team predominantly get the benefit of the doubt here? The player has no leverage but to negotiate publicly and threaten to leave in hopes the fan base will tell management to keep him.

Still, it's amazing how much the Bills have invested or will have to invest in their DL.

Wonder if Clay's contract could be re-worked next offseason, also... And likely Cassel would come off the books....

Clay Re-worked, Mario Re worked. Say that saves 10-12MM combined. Harvin cut is another 10MM in savings. Cassel not being re-signed is another 4MM. Looking at that

There is potentially 26MM, so it is doable.

The lions backloaded suh's rookie contract and a player can't take a pay cut...so the final year of his deal was like 22 mil or something and they tagged him once I think at the same salary but then if they did it again it was going to be 20% more . marcel doesn't have a backloaded deal

thanks - I wasn't aware of the particulars, that makes sense

Clay Re-worked, Mario Re worked. Say that saves 10-12MM combined. Harvin cut is another 10MM in savings. Cassel not being re-signed is another 4MM. Looking at that

There is potentially 26MM, so it is doable.

Mario's contract really doesn't leave a lot of room for restructuring; he's a candidate to get a new contract.

Mario's contract really doesn't leave a lot of room for restructuring; he's a candidate to get a new contract.

Mario is signed through 2017 season...he'll be 33 years old then....obviously it depends on his play but do you think he gets another big contract?

Mario is signed through 2017 season...he'll be 33 years old then....obviously it depends on his play but do you think he gets another big contract?

they could just sign him to an extension now, through age 35 or so. I have no doubt the way he cares for himself he will still be productive.

Yes, as after this season he'll have only 2 years left on his deal, which leaves very little room to push cap hit into the future. IMO he's more likely to get a new 4-year deal that covers the 2016-2019 seasons.

They just did something similar with KW. And remembeR Whaley said publically he wants both of them to retire with the Bills.

That's a noble thought--I just don't see how they keep Kyle next year. They can save $5M on the cap by releasing him, and that money could go directly toward RFA tenders for Corbin Bryant and Stefan Charles, who I feel can replace Kyle.

Yes, as after this season he'll have only 2 years left on his deal, which leaves very little room to push cap hit into the future. IMO he's more likely to get a new 4-year deal that covers the 2016-2019 seasons.

Thanks. I agree he gets a new deal instead of restructure.