A Very Sad Story About Darryl Talley

norton20

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn that sucks. I wonder if it would have done him some good to reside in Buffalo. I truly believe the way we have treated our favorite players from years past lifts their spirits and makes them feel relevant, which sometimes seems to be one of the issues with sports retirement.

I met Mr. Talley when at a Golf event in Orlando.

We sat at last two stools at the bar the bar for 45 minutes - he was sharing stories with me and I was totally in awe. As I left - I felt I was in Heaven meeting one of my football idols from the Great Teams I watched weekly and read about daily.

His character was a both Genuine and humble. He even had shared his cell# and I would text him for a couple years after we met (I did not over do it - just a funny text, a picture of the Home crowd, and recently when Andre made the Hall. He would always reply in a great way. I lost my phone in April and losing Pictures on the phone was awful-and it also stung losing the cell # of #56. ( I know I should have backed it up -never thought I'd lose it) but my point is - you hear how sometimes Star Players are awful in person - Mr. Talley was Awesome!

It's hard to even comment here. I can't say I'm surprised. Yes, I am surprised that it is hitting Talley, a bit, but not that this is happening.

Yuck. Especially at Thanksgiving, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by Matt in KC

Really depressing read. Darryl Talley embodied the never quit attitude that made those 90's Bills teams great. A shame to think that CTE might get the better of him. Stay strong Spiderman! When you feel down, remember that #BillsMafia will always be with you. All the best to you and yours Darryl Talley. Happy Thanksgiving.

Edited by Fred Jackson Jockstrap

We need to do something...set up a fund for him where Bills fans can donate...this isn't right. It shouldn't be like this for these players.

I am hoping this article spurs the team to do something. I understand they might be concerned about setting negative precedent, but given talley's current state, they should consider some kind financial assistance.

Can't imagine falling in love with a city and a team and putting your life and body out there for them, and then being completely betrayed by that team's Front Office. He obviously just wanted to retire a Bill and be with the team for as long as he could, and they wouldn't let him, even with all the spirit and leadership he could have brought with him.

It's heartbreaking

Wilson lying that "they don't hire" former players.

Van Pelt had a year of NFL Europe coaching experience, while Metzelars had 8 years in the NFL before joining the Bills. I took Graham's piece to imply that Darryl wanted a coaching job without having any coaching experience, which to my knowledge, the Bills have never done with a former player.

My brother lives in the same Orlando suburb as Darryl and has met him many times over the years, both professionally and during off hours. The loss of his jersey barrier business during the Great Recession seems to have been the biggest trigger to his downward spiral. I hope he and his family can get the help they need to overcome their financial and physical problems...

I set up a Go Fund Me for Darryl to help him pay his bills. Please consider donating. He was and is my favorite Bill ever and I can't stand idly by after reading this sad news.

http://www.gofundme.com/hvkgjo

Um...he's a very proud man, and might take offense at that.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything - Lord knows I want to reach out to him myself right now. But...I don't know, maybe just be prepared to have him reject the gesture, and to donate the money to CTE research instead, or use it to create the "Talley Foundation" to help players suffering from CTE.

We need to do something...set up a fund for him where Bills fans can donate...this isn't right. It shouldn't be like this for these players.

That was my first impulse too... Maybe DT needs another kind of help first. -Can't express how much this article BUMMED ME OUT. Love ya DT... I'm sure Billievers everywhere are pulling for you.

It's stuff like this that is making Sunday's hard to watch. Its hard to beat up the bills too hard as it opens up all kinds of peer expectations and probably potential liability. Just a tough spot all around. Glad he has teammates that have been there.

bet whitner feels like a jerk-

You never want to hear of anyone going through something like this. Talley was one of my heros, easily the most over looked player on those teams. My prayers go out to him and his family.

Can't imagine falling in love with a city and a team and putting your life and body out there for them, and then being completely betrayed by that team's Front Office. He obviously just wanted to retire a Bill and be with the team for as long as he could, and they wouldn't let him, even with all the spirit and leadership he could have brought with him.

It's heartbreaking

I've often thought that if there really is a curse on this team, it stems from the unceremonious dumping of so many of our greatest players after they gave so much of themselves to the City and the team. I know the NFL is a business and you can't keep players forever but those teams and many of those players were special. Their retirement from the Bills should have been given special comsideration. Maybe the team will right one more wrong and give Talley the support he needs and deserves.

Um...he's a very proud man, and might take offense at that.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything - Lord knows I want to reach out to him myself right now. But...I don't know, maybe just be prepared to have him reject the gesture, and to donate the money to CTE research instead, or use it to create the "Talley Foundation" to help players suffering from CTE.

I agree. If it were me, you better call me first!

As for the article, it's a sad, common read. Talley does not have the quality of life that you and I enjoy. That is very sad. I wish that the bills would be more forthcoming though, but I understand their position as well.

Man, that article hurts to read.

His words are so haunting and ,i have no idea how this works, but one wonders if he will be found to be a threat to himself and put in therapy somehow.

I would also guess the NFL settlement will be able to paid out soon, I would think he should certainly be a recipient of funds. But as someone else said, i think this goes well beyond money troubles.

I also will not the blast the Bills on this until we get more of the story, but certainly Bruce does not seem thrilled with them either.

Very sad story. If you play play LB or safety in the NFL, it seems that the worst thing that can happen to you is for you to be good and durable enough to last a long time. It makes me think about the post-NFL future of enforcer guys like Andre Dawkins and, yes, Whitner.

Edited by dave mcbride

Of any of the former players they have employed, you'd think he'd be at the top of the list. I have a feeling things will change for DT with Pegula in charge. Especially if they drop that used car salesman Russ Brandon.

i don't think TG provided all the info on that. It made the Bills look bad but in reality, when Talley inquired about a coaching position and was told they don't hire ex-players 1) that may have been the stance of the organization at the time and under a different GM (as he said "later" Metz And AVP were hired and 2) they may have meant they don't just hire ex-players as coaches unless they actually have coaching experience. Both Metz and AVP knew they wanted to coach and may have put in that time prior to getting hired with the Bills. I don't know the whole story, but I feel like there was purposely intent to only share his side.

I found the story very heartbreaking. However, I don't jump to fault the organization either.

Edited by YoloinOhio