Bills interested in Deebo Samuel per Mike Giardi

38 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm like 75% sure we'll be taking your boy from Oregon tonight. We are not at the spot in our team's life cycle where we should be trading for a weathered WR that we have to commit major cap space to. Drafting a couple young studs tonight makes way more sense.

Unless we’re trading for a vet I think he’s the guy too

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

Hahah it takes a tweet from Field Yates for everyone to relax about trading for a high priced WR? 

I’ve been saying it non stop since the Diggs deal . It isn’t happening 

My thing is post June 1?

image.thumb.png.82047e699e603f5af573b1653395b747.png

They might have to send someone like Kair Elam the other direction, but they can afford a Cortland Sutton

Beane isn't just going to sit on 10M of cap space

Edited by appoo
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

This thread is gonna go on for 11 more pages even though this trade would be literally impossible due to league salary cap rules, isn't it?

No, it's not literally impossible.  Beane would have had to make it work cap wise.  But clearly there are people that think there are ways Beane could make it work. 

Many of us don't know exactly what they are, but believe it is possible.   For instance we have heard Josh didn't max out his extension, probably others too.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This is true. However if the Bills have had contact with the 49ers either they or Deebo's reps may put it out there to stir interest. And being it mentions 2 teams it's likely agent or the 49ers. 

That said, even in cases like this, the "interest" could be something as simple as the Bills having a casual call with someone on the 49ers staff and asking what they are looking for....which is very common. 

This normally seems to be what beane is doing…just putting feelers out with no serious intention 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Riddle me this: How are the 49ers -- themselves just $6million under the salary cap -- going to eat the amount of Deebo or Aiyuk's cap hit it would take to make this trade possible? Please, by all means, explain it to me.

they save $6M by trading Deebo lol. I don’t think you understand the salary cap.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, FireChans said:

Ur wish is my command 

Awesome!

For your next trick, please explain how a trade for Deebo Samuel would be possible.

I beg you. 

I'm dying to hear your explanation of how to make this work. 

I don't know how else to explain the difference between "believing it's very unlikely a player will be traded away due to the dead cap hit it would create" and "it's literally not mathematically possible to trade for some of the guys Bills fans seem to want".

But please, PLEASE....explain to us how they can do it.

they save $6M by trading Deebo lol. I don’t think you understand the salary cap.

Oh for *****'s sake. 

Ya know what? Nevermind.

I've already spent far too much time talking to a wall here.

Believe what you want. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Samuel just signed a rather large extension last year. We don't have the cap space to absorb his contract today, which is when the trade would have to be processed, nor do we have time to have him pass a physical unless he's already on a plan. This should be able to be debunked rather quickly by one of you people who track the Bills' plane I would think.

All of the rumors are coming out of Boston.  I think this is just to garner potential interest.  

Cap-wise, Aiyuk is the only receiver we could afford 

Edited by Virgil

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Awesome!

For your next trick, please explain how a trade for Deebo Samuel would be possible.

I beg you. 

I'm dying to hear your explanation of how to make this work. 

I don't know how else to explain the difference between "believing it's very unlikely a player will be traded away due to the dead cap hit it would create" and "it's literally not mathematically possible to trade for some of the guys Bills fans seem to want".

But please, PLEASE....explain to us how they can do it.

Oh for *****'s sake. 

Ya know what? Nevermind.

I've already spent far too much time talking to a wall here.

Believe what you want. 

Haha. I know the salary cap terms like dead cap and cap hit get confusing but the 9ers definitely save money trading Deebo. Took a 5 second google search to prove. 

You can just admit you don’t know what you’re talking about lmao

Haha. I know the salary cap terms like dead cap and cap hit get confusing but the 9ers definitely save money trading Deebo. Took a 5 second google search to prove. 

Just waiting patiently for you to explain how the Bills pull this trade off.

I know it'll be a nuanced and well thought out plan. 

I can hardly wait.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Riddle me this: How are the 49ers -- themselves just $6million under the salary cap -- going to eat the amount of Deebo or Aiyuk's cap hit it would take to make this trade possible? Please, by all means, explain it to me.

we all agree to terms, it’s the 2025 pick and we wait until June 1 for paperwork?

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Mr Cover 1 Greg T has been wrong several times.  He beat it to death that it was “IMPOSSIBLE” to move Diggs

so I absolutely expect us to acquire a vet WR now

This is incorrect. He said he it would be ridiculous and impossible for us to be WILLING to take that cap hit. He was aware of how much it would count against our cap and that we could TECHNICALLY do it

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

we all agree to terms, it’s the 2025 pick and we wait until June 1 for paperwork? 

also gives some runway for other cap maneuvering 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This normally seems to be what beane is doing…just putting feelers out with no serious intention 

Or putting out leaked feelers to help move along his real trade interests who may be dragging their feet (ie DHop/DJ Moore/K Allen/C Godwin/Metcalf etc)

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

The issue isn't the Niners saving cap space, but how would the Bills fit Deebo's 20.9M base salary into a $2M cap

Not saying I want this trade to happen, but would a way around the purported impossibility be to have Deebo redo his deal to one that fits under the Bills cap while still a 49er, execute the trade, and then rework the deal?

A bit of handshakes and trust required of all parties but within the realm of possibility I think. 

1 minute ago, appoo said:

The issue isn't the Niners saving cap space, but how would the Bills fit Deebo's 20.9M base salary into a $2M cap

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

Tell that to this dude who thought he checkmated me with this gem lmao

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

also gives some runway for other cap maneuvering 

The Bills' salary cap space, even with the additional $10 million, still would not be equal to Deebo's cap hit. Indeed, other cap maneuvering would be necessary by Buffalo between now and June 1st.

But it certainly seems to me, though -- and this is backed up by the timing of the Tweets in question -- that people are primarily talking about the 49ers trading a WR away NOW, during the draft. And that, in particular, is what I'm mostly discussing here.

22 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

he’s only broken 900 yards once and has never played a full season. NOPE!!!

Bear in mind that Deebo has been operating as a running back at times in the 49ers offense.  If we intended to use him solely as a wideout, his receiving numbers would go up and he would be less injury prone.

Tell that to this dude who thought he checkmated me with this gem lmao

1.) I don't think the post by Appoo that you quoted means what you think it means

2.) You still have yet to answer me by explaining the mechanism by which the Bills can trade for Deebo Samuel today.

Talk all the smack you want. Until you can explain how I'm wrong and you're right, it's all just gum-flapping.

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just waiting patiently for you to explain how the Bills pull this trade off.

I know it'll be a nuanced and well thought out plan. 

I can hardly wait.

Can’t the Bills restructure some current players and create cap space ?

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Not that much. 

Is that a yes or no ? 

since the response was an eye roll, I’m guessing it’s a yes they can. It wouldn’t be my first choice, but if restructuring of current players is an option then it’s absolutely possible.

Edited by julian
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

I would not like this! 

My gut is that in general, when you hear about Bills interest in a trade, it's maybe at the level of a phone call "so, would the player possibly be available?  oh, OK, Thanks"

• Agree 1

Are Bills "rumors" ever true? I feel like the Bills are connected with every single potential trade for every single player potentially available.