The Bills are on the clock: Pick 33

Process

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I think all of those guys could supplant Hollins pretty quickly in the pecking order. None of them are going to be #1 WRs as rookies though. If we don't trade for a veteran #1 WR (which I don't really expect but it's not impossible), it seems like we're planning to go with a more balanced attack with Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir, and the rookie all being good options.

My concern is good but not great. Someone said it yesterday, but the issue with the Bills is they have one elite player and a lot of good. The quality is not there outside of Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, mannc said:

No thanks to a safety with our first pick.  Fortunately, Beane is not dumb enough to do that.

I would love Dejean to be a difference maker back there but #33, especially if Beane can gain a premium over the neutral value he obtained flipping 28 and 32, can go a long long way toward solving many of the Bills roster *and* cap issues.

Slate 1 using 33, 60, 95)

Dejean, Polk, Trice

Potential Slate 2 using a trade down from 33 to mid 40's and picking up a mid 3rd)

Franklin, Fiske, Bishop, Elliss

With hopefully enough excess ammo stored to pop up in Round 4 for a faller at a position like CB or even doubling up on WR (though I'm fine with waiting till R5/6 for a Fluornoy or Bub Means to develop as a physical X competing with Shorter).

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

THANK YOU.  The reactions around here are so ridiculous.  We clearly didn't want Worthy or we would have taken him.  And if pass at 28 and take someone else, Worthy still makes it to KC.  

Unreal how this is puzzling for some people 

I think Dallas would've taken him thats why KC felt teh need to move in front of them

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

My concern is good but not great. Someone said it yesterday, but the issue with the Bills is they have one elite player and a lot of good. The quality is not there outside of Josh.

That's fair, but I think the WRs remaining today have as much if not more upside than the guys that we passed on last night. Just have to hope we get the right one.

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Some believe that DeJean is a future 4-5x all-pro.  If Beane views him as that I don't see how he could pass on him. Very likely is the BPA at this point as well.

However there are players that fit the bill at 4 positions there right now.

Newton at DT, DeJean at S/CB, McKinstrey at CB and Mitchell at WR.

They could maybe be OK with taking any of those 4 and maybe be willing to move down 3 picks and take whatever one is left or pick from those 4...

Beane has a ton of options right now in this spot.

If they thought DeJean was that kind of player,  they should have ran to the podium at 28 and never thought twice about it,  especially with Baltimore setting there a couple of picks later,  always willing to draft a high quality defender that drops.   

19 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Don’t know how much of this is true, but if so, hard pass. 

The attitude is from what I’ve read, the run blocking is a knock in his scoring reports, and the low effort tag came from an interview where Mitchell admitted he didn’t give 100% on some routes 

Washington gives us 36 and 40, we give them 33 and 60 (plus some change)

Allows us to get WR and defense.

Agree with people above, itʻs Troy Franklin. Interviewing Bo Nix was the tell tale sign IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm looking at Daniel Jeremiah's top 150 players. These guys are all on the board and ranked higher than 33 

24 - Cooper DeJean
25 - Johnny Newton
27 - AD Mitchell
30 - Ladd McConkey

If we take WR we could come back and take

• Bullard or Bishop at S if we want safety at 60
  • Ohorhoro or Maason Smith at DR if we want DT at 60

If we take a DeJean we're looking at these WRs around 60

• Roman Wilson
  • Ja'Lynn Polk
  • Troy Franklin
  • Tez Walker

18 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I would be shocked. He's about a pure of a slot receiver as there is this draft. Something the Bills really don't need more of in my opinion. 

Point taken.    I was operating on the data that they had had Roman in and had met with him another time.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Do people honestly think the Bills can draft a WR#1 now? At best, from 33? Franklin, McConkey, Mitchell? If they bring any of those in, they'll be #4 at best, behind Samuel, Hollins and Shakir.

If they want a number one from 2024, they need to trade for it. Not draft.

Hollins really? Hollins?  Come on now.  He a special teams player, emergency depth piece.

12 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Diggs was a 5th round pick.

Hill was a 5th round pick.

Higgins was a 2nd.

Metcalf was a 2nd.

There's enough examples of "good" prospects becoming elite that I'm not too concerned with the top of the 2nd vs. the bottom of the first. It's a crapshoot, and doubling up could hedge our bets nicely. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Hollins really? Hollins?  Come on now.  He a special teams player, emergency depth piece.

They'll come in at three then, behind Samuel and Shakir. If the Bills had kept hold of Diggs, or trade for a veteran, it'd be four which is about where I'd expect.

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Diggs was a 5th round pick.

Hill was a 5th round pick.

Higgins was a 2nd.

Metcalf was a 2nd.

There's enough examples of "good" prospects becoming elite that I'm not too concerned with the top of the 2nd vs. the bottom of the first. It's a crapshoot, and doubling up could hedge our bets nicely. 

To get a number one the Bills needed to either to trade everything to move up the board or get a veteran. As it, they've done neither... so far. They're going into the season with a lot of decent WR pieces but no elite.

24 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think Kincaid can be an elite pass catching tight end, probably as early as next year.  Cook is a very good back (though needs to clean up the easy drops).  We need to draft two receivers between the 2nd and 3rd rounds and hope that one of them turns into, at minimum, an 80 catch, 1000 yard guy.

6 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Hopefully they can trade down slightly and get a big deal say an early 3rd.  

yeah at this point seems they're comfortable with a number of receivers left, might as well just keep trading down and letting the board fall to you at WR. Take three dart throws at receiver (two tonight and another tomorrow) and fortify the rest of the roster with as many top ~150 picks as possible. Trade 6th & 7th rounders remaining this year for 5th & 6th rounders next year

If I'm being honest, I think Cooper DeJean is the Best Player Available right now.

I think he has the best shot of all remaining players at coming in and being a difference maker on this team. I think he'd be a day one starter at free safety, would solidify the position for a decade, and has All Pro potential.

Unfortunately, the Bills have also kind of painted themselves into a corner by desperately needing a viable WR, and I'm doubtful that they could pick DeJean at 33 and then still be able to get a WR of substance all the way down at pick 60. 

Now if they're confident they can package some of those later picks with pick 60 or their 3rd and get back up high enough in the 2nd to still get a Franklin or McConkey, then great. But I'm skeptical.

As much as I want a WR, and as much as the Bills direly need one, there's just no way I can be upset if DeJean is the pick. I think he has the potential to be special, and to be a difference maker for a team that needs them.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

You draft safetys late, not at #33 when you NEED a WR.

Ahh yes, who can forget the late round value of Damar Hamlin, Cam Lewis, Duke Williams, Jonathan Meeks and Da,Norris Seacry.

Safety is luxury pick right until the moment your CBs suddenly have zero help.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Putin said:

Yes will have even more draft picks by the end of the night 

Don’t be Upsetty have some spaghetti 🍝 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I think Kincaid can be an elite pass catching tight end, probably as early as next year.  Cook is a very good back (though needs to clean up the easy drops).  We need to draft two receivers between the 2nd and 3rd rounds and hope that one of them turns into, at minimum, an 80 catch, 1000 yard guy.

I wonder if Kincaid and Shakir need another year but they definitely have promise.

15 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

at 60?

That's where the ESPN mock had the Bills taking him this morning.  Had us going DeJean/Franklin with our 2nd round picks.  If that actually came to fruition, I'd be ecstatic. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Safety has been a vital part of McDs defense.  So while we do have 2 guys who could start, they are making anyone shake in their boots either and are a downgrade to what we had for the past 6 years.  

Our safety play has not been top notch for two years now. To be honest, last year when Poyer was out the D looked better with Rapp in. It’s not hindering our D. Yeah we had great play out of Poyer and Hyde for a long time but it still led to 13 seconds when the game was on the line. Still blew it in OT against Houston. It should not be #1 priority with the huge hole we have at WR. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If it's wr at 33 why trade down?

3 wr's went in-between when you started trading down and your pick

Why risk having your guy or position get taken

If it’s WR then they had a group of WR with same/ similar grades  ( not first round ) and knew they’d be happy with any of them. Gained picks in the process = win. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If it's wr at 33 why trade down?

3 wr's went in-between when you started trading down and your pick

Why risk having your guy or position get taken

if they had worthy, Legette, Mitchell, McConkey, Franklin, Coleman, etc all rated relatively the same, trade down, get more assets and take whom you like best of the remaining at 33, or further trade down to 36 and do the same. i think there's a >50% chance they trade down again tol the gih 30s 'cuz I think they like Franklin and think they can get him at around 40

8 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

if they had worthy, Legette, Mitchell, McConkey, Franklin, Coleman, etc all rated relatively the same, trade down, get more assets and take whom you like best of the remaining at 33, or further trade down to 36 and do the same. i think there's a >50% chance they trade down again tol the gih 30s 'cuz I think they like Franklin and think they can get him at around 40

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

If it’s WR then they had a group of WR with same/ similar grades  ( not first round ) and knew they’d be happy with any of them. Gained picks in the process = win. 

Even if they are graded the same wouldn't you want the one you liked personally best? Even if you are picking based on personality at that point, make sure you grab the guy that's gonna fit in with the team

I do agree we could see more trade downs from the bills 

But if the bills make the pick at 33, I think it will be a non wr position. I'd go cb or center personally - a lot of people connected the bills meeting bo nix at the combine to Franklin, but there is a center bo nix would also have played with available 

Edited by Cheektowaga Chad
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Even if they are graded the same wouldn't you want the one you liked personally best? Even if you are picking based on personality at that point, make sure you grab the guy that's gonna fit in with the team

I do agree we could see more trade downs from the bills 

But if the bills make the pick at 33, I think it will be a non wr position. I'd go cb or center personally 

If they were only drafting a WR in this draft then maybe. You’re not and have to look at the big picture of the team and entire draft. If they’re similarly graded with no red flags then you get value and move down. Personally I thought picking at 28 was less likely than moving up / down. Just figured there wouldn’t be a player they loved left on the board by then. 

9 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

There’s starting to be a run on receivers though. I mean Pearsall in the first round? 

If you want Franklin then take him at 33. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Get the pitchforks ready. Think we go Dejean mustard. McD got a ***** in his pants already. 

DeJean would be very good on this defense. Versatile guy, makes a lot of plays. Gives you a lot of options in coverage.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Our safety play has not been top notch for two years now. To be honest, last year when Poyer was out the D looked better with Rapp in. It’s not hindering our D. Yeah we had great play out of Poyer and Hyde for a long time but it still led to 13 seconds when the game was on the line. Still blew it in OT against Houston. It should not be #1 priority with the huge hole we have at WR. 

Reaching for need is a poor way to manage a draft.  Take the talent.  If the talent is the WR, take him.  If the talent is DeJean, Newton, JPJ, etc then take the talent or move back and let someone else take talent and still get your WR.  There are a lot of WR's here still for us, and ones I had graded higher than 3 of the WR's that already came off the board.  

That is how I would handle it and its what I suspect Beane will do too.  

• Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I would take McConkey at 33, and then move up from 60 to try and get Mitchell, Polk, Franklin or Coleman. 

What do I expect will happen…DeJean. 
😞

I’ve changed my mind.   If the Bills can end up(via draft maneuvering) with two out of McConkey/Polk/Franklin, they would be in much better shape in the WR room. 

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

Higgins or Aiyouk

I would curb your expectations...Beane made it pretty clear this isn't a move he thinks we need like we did when we traded for Diggs.  I think this is less likely than the thought we would trade a bounty to move up in the draft.  

Nothing is off the table or impossible, just saying, this was always unlikely based on everything Beane has said, our cap situation, etc.  And then the 3 WR contracts to the 2 Eagles WR and St. Brown happened making this even more unlikely as the price on these guys contracts will be even higher now.  

So just wouldn't get your hopes up even though I wouldn't 100% rule it out either as you never know, just very unlikely.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

The attitude is from what I’ve read, the run blocking is a knock in his scoring reports, and the low effort tag came from an interview where Mitchell admitted he didn’t give 100% on some routes 

I’m sold…hard pass on Mitchell(at least on Day 2).